New MKIII 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cool_husker

New MKIII 22/45

Post by cool_husker » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, I finally got a MKIII 22/45 and took it to the range. I went through about a 100 rounds and then had to FTF within 10 rounds of each other. I then burnt through 300 more rounds w/o and issue. Then only thing I noticed was that ever 20 rounds or so I would notice a some burning or bright (hot) material come out of the chamber while firing. I was shooting mostly federal bulk pack but a few mixed rounds CCI and other federals. The FTF were a CCI and an old Federal. I also noticed that some of the rounds had a different felt recoil. Any ideas or the issues? I was shooting an indoor range and hated the sights (just a terrible sight picture and unable to find front sight) and putting a Millet red dot on it. So if i remove the bolt stop dent ball as shown on the maintenance page I can sling shot the bolt closed onto a full magazine with anything getting damaged? Also a few years ago I shot a friends MKII that seemed like it had a lot smoother action and less power to pull the bolt back. Is this b/c of a differt cycle spring? Also does anyone have a photo showing all the places and parts a guy could buff with a dremel to smooth things out? Sorry about all the questions at once. My two cents is the gun is great and with a trigger job and the Millet it will be even better.
Thanks in advance,
cool_husker

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Clean it good lube it good, and keep it lubed and after about 2000 rounds it will be smoothed up.

you were probably shooting cheap ammo or bulk pack and the different recoils was the ammo NOT the pistol. inexpensive ammo has less consistancy than target grade ammo. The sparks or fire you saw are normal you won't notice outside.

your friend's was probably easier to cock because it was broken in.

Don't be in a hurry to replace parts, get it broken in good and learn to shoot it good and you will have fun.

enjoy!
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:02 am

Make sure you have the updated hammer pivot pin. Mine didn't have the new one and took out part of the frame inside. Here's a couple of links with the info you'll need to check it out.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:44 am

Doing the slingshot mod will not hurt anything in your pistol. You are simply removing the detent ball in the bolt stop. Put the little ball and spring in a plastic baggie and keep it for later. If you ever decide that you don't like it or want to sell the pistol you can always put them back. BTW, the ball and spring are identical to the one found in your thumb safety button.

Your pistol will get smoother when you break it in more. You still have some rough machining marks to polish out of the bolt and receiver. The best way to remove these is shoot several thousand rounds through it and they will operate smoother. Don't buff anything with a Dremel tool yet. Just give it some more time to wear in a litttle.

You did take the pistol apart and give it a good cleaning first - right? If you didn' then that shipping preservative is interfering with the smooth operation of your pistol. It will attract powder residue and gets thicker over time.

Enjoy your new pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:56 am

Congrats on the new 22/45! I really enjoy mine quite a bit. I think you'll be happy with it.

I do agree with you on the sights. At times, they can be difficult to use. I was at an indoor plateshoot Friday and when the lighting isn't good, the sights can be hard to see.

Does anyone know if there's a glow front sight available for the 22/45? Something similar to what comes on the Hunter models?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Ruger sells the Hi Viz front sight but Williams makes the Firesight that has both the front sight and the rear sight in high visibility. I'm thinking of getting a set after the first of the yar.
- Kwai Chang Caine -

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Hey Recumbent,

Post some pics and let the rest of us know how you like the Williams. I don't want to go to a dot, but like the idea of better overall sight "pick up" provided by the fiber optic stuff. The Hi-Viz work pretty good, but sometimes the better mousetrap is out there just waiting for someone to try it.

Thanks,

JJ
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:12 pm

I just saw the front/rear combo on Ruger's website today. For $40, I may try it. Although, I wish they'd just sell the front sight alone.

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:43 pm

jjfunk wrote:Hey Recumbent,

Post some pics and let the rest of us know how you like the Williams. I don't want to go to a dot, but like the idea of better overall sight "pick up" provided by the fiber optic stuff. The Hi-Viz work pretty good, but sometimes the better mousetrap is out there just waiting for someone to try it.

Thanks,

JJ
I will but it will be sometime in January.
- Kwai Chang Caine -