I keep shooting to the left

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:44 pm

Are your sights firmly attached and is the base centered down the longitudinal axis of the pistol?

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 am

Bullseye wrote:Are your sights firmly attached and is the base centered down the longitudinal axis of the pistol?

R,
Bullseye
I will double check both this evening. A buddy and I are heading to the range tomorrow. 8)

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Bullseye, I think you may be psychic. :lol:

I went to the range this morning with my buddy. He's a lot more experienced with shooting than I am, so I always enjoy going with him. I told him about the shooting to the left issue. I ran a few clips through it while he watched the target. He took one look at the gun and determined that the entire rear sight wasn't centered on the body of the gun. D'oh! We were able to do a little "at the range gunsmithing" and got it lined up the best we could. Since he's a better shot than I am, he ran a clip through it. He hit the target no problem. I gave it a shot (pun intended) and finally, I was on target; the bullets were going in the general area I had hoped they would. I'm sure I'll be able to dial it in next time I go out.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm not psychic but I do have strong powers of deduction. You gave very good descriptions of the problem. All I did was run through the likely causes until we found the root cause. Having the rear sight base walk to one side is a fairly common event. A little judicious application of Locktite can solve that problem. At least now you have some piece of mind that your sight alignment techniques aren't the cause.

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Again, your experience really shines though. I'm glad a newb like myself found this place.

I should try the locktite, that's a great idea.

I'm glad this issue was solved. I though I was really doing something wrong when firing. Granted, I'm not shooting tight groups of dead center shots, but they're now not all the way to the left.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:12 pm

You'll have to remove that sight base and degrease it to get the Locktite sealant to cure properly. What I do is align the sight base up to where the hits are centered. Next I use a pencil and draw a line down the sight base and then right onto the receiver for an alignment reference. I remove the sight base and carefully degrease, taking care not to erase my pencil alignment line. Once degreased, I'll apply a few drops of the sealant in the dovetail slot. Reinstall the sight base and ensure my pencil lines align, and then tighten down the hold down screw. Let everything sit for 24 hours and you should not have any more problems.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 am

That's a great idea. Is it difficult to remove the base? I haven't check, but I recall that in the how to section here....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 am

No, it isn't difficult to remove a base that is already loose in the receiver. Your's is already somewhat loose to move to one side. Here's a link to the removal procedure http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm#sight

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 am

That looks easy enough. We were able to move the rear sight just by loosening the screw, then giving it a few good taps with a wood wedge (looked like a door stopper) they had at the range. Based on that, I may not even need hammer. :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:52 am

The hammering is for someone who is replacing a sight base that has not been loosened. Sometimes those bases can be a real bear to get started moving.

R,
Bullseye

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:31 pm

So I basically just need to remove any excess grease from the mounting surface? Then use a little thread lock on the mounting screw?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Degrease the parts of any oils and grease with mineral spirits, paint thinner or alcohol. Add a few drops of locktite to the dovetail slot and reassemble. Allow 24 hours for the sealant to set and you should be good to go.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Yup- That's what I found the hard way: the mounting screw threads and holes need to be degreased of its light film of oil preservative and then sealed with locktite.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Awesome! Thanks guys!