Cleaning out grip

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

darwin-t

Cleaning out grip

Post by darwin-t » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:05 pm

I disassembled my MK III 22/45 - I want to clean it thoroughly and return it to stock. I'm hoping to trade it in towards an MK II. I removed the trigger, disconnector and hammer assembly. I had earlier replaced the stock trigger. I also had replaced hammer and hammer bushing to MK II versions to disable the magazine disconnect.

I need to find detailed drawings/instructions on the proper assembly of the MK III hammer assembly and also the loaded chamber indicater.

Edit - I found the exploded view at Ruger.com. My loaded chamber indicator has 2 pieces, not one like it's shown in the drawing. Are there just 2 parts and a very tiny spring or am I missing some parts?

Are there any tricks to getting the hammer stuff back together?

My biggest problem is how to clean out all of that GUNK in the grip. The only things left in there are the sear and the magazine release. Can I run hot water through it? Would that work?

I don't want to say yet what I want to trade it for, I don't want to jinx it. :roll: Let's just say it's SWEET.

Thanks a million.
Last edited by darwin-t on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:20 pm

The best pictures/instructions I've got are here http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm and on the other pages linked at the top of the page.

I wouldn't run water through your grip. Any trapped moisture could be a corrosion magnet. Solvent like gun scrubber works pretty good and comes in a spray can with a plastic extension tube for gettin into those tight places.

I use military scrubbing brushes in the internal frame recesses, but an old toothbrush can perform just about the same level of cleaning.

Compressed air is good for blowing out any trapped moisture. But be sure if you're using a compressor, that it has a water separator, or you're just blowing more moisture into the frame.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

darwin-t

Post by darwin-t » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:18 am

Wow, i got it together and it works just as it did the day I bought it.

Thanks for your help. Without it I was lost! The hardest part was figuring out that magazine disconnect - where the spring went and all.