Ruger 22/45 MK III barrel drill and tap

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger 22/45 MK III barrel drill and tap

Post by Coach1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

I have a 22/45 MKIII np slab side. Unlike most Ruger MK III's this one does not come pre-drilled / tapped for mounting an accessory rail.

Ruger will do the machining for $35, plus $30 for the rail, plus $30 for shipping it back to me. I was expecting they would need only the barrel but the service rep said they will need the gun to verify operation after the machining (...not sure that makes sense in this case).

Ruger sent me a detailed drill & tap template via email should I decide to have a local gunsmith do the work.

So, my general questions to the forum are:
1. Has anyone had this done and what were your experiences?
2. Any guidance for finding a local gunsmith?
3. Is there really a risk to pistol operation?
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 pm

If you want the holes in the Ruger factory position, the only things that I think could influence functionality is if whom ever did the tapping over drilled in the 2 holes that must go over the chamber, or did not smooth the hole that goes over the receiver. No competent gunsmith should ever do either of those things.

I think the going rate for a smith to drill and tap is around $20/hole, so that's $60 for the holes and you can get a weaver mount for $10 off midway. I would go the gunsmith route, save a few bucks and faster turn around.

As far as a good gunsmith goes, if no one here can recommend you one, I'd ask a few competition shooters at your local range for smith recommendations.

If you do choose to send your pistol to Ruger, remove all after market parts before shopping the pistol, if you do not Ruger will replace them with factory parts.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:37 am

One way to find a gunsmith in your area is to type in your location into here- http://www.midwayusa.com/gunsmithlocator/home.aspx I see two listed in Creedmore which is near Butner.

Drilling and tapping a receiver for a scope mount is a very basic job, any competent smith can do it. Prices vary $15-$20 per hole is about the usual rate.

The main risk is if your front holes are drilled too deep or if the rear hole has a screw protruding into the recoil spring area of the receiver. The set-up takes the most time for the gunsmith. Ensuring the mount is level and the holes are all indexed correctly on the mill takes some time and patience to complete.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Don't trust a template sent by email or as attachment to be accurate. It may not be the same size it was when sent. If it is just a diagram to be followed for measurements, etc. you're good.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Next steps

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi guys. Thanks for the quick feedback.
George.. I am glad you mentioned that Ruger would likely replace my aftermarket parts (VQ trigger, etc).. maybe add the darned mag safety bits back .. and charge me for the work, too.

Between that possibility, overall cost advantage and the consensus that a competent smith can cover this task, I will pursue the local option. I ordered the rail already. It should be here later this week.

Ruger22 - You are correct. The document I have is really an instruction sheet.. layout, dimensions for locating the holes, depth, drill and tap sizes, etc., - not a template per se.

If I figure out how to clip a copy of the PDF on a Post, I will do so. Bullseye can decide if it should be placed as a future reference / sticky or whatever.

Thanks to all. I will post my experiences and how this turned out.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 pm

You know you could go the no drill mount that uses the rear sight dovetail to lock it in place. The only down side is you loose your iron sights. The Plus side is that you do not de-value your gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=412667
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Alternatives

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. But the rail is on order and I think I will run down that track.

I would hope this will not de-value my gun, per se. Most MK III's come with the barrel pre-drilled with screws to fill the voids... anticipating the future use of a sight rail. I was not aware of this limitation when I selected the bull barrel, slab side as the model to buy. No buyer's remorse here. I love the gun.

Even so, I think the 3 point anchoring / attachment points will provide a solid platform for my new Red Dot sight.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Alternatives

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Coach1 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. But the rail is on order and I think I will run down that track.

I would hope this will not de-value my gun, per se. Most MK III's come with the barrel pre-drilled with screws to fill the voids... anticipating the future use of a sight rail. I was not aware of this limitation when I selected the bull barrel, slab side as the model to buy. No buyer's remorse here. I love the gun.

Even so, I think the 3 point anchoring / attachment points will provide a solid platform for my new Red Dot sight.
I know some of thhe earlier MarkII 22/45's did not have the barrel tapped as I own one that I had tapped. Probably the eralier MarkII's were that way also. I thought all of the MarkIII's were tapped. By the way, been meaning to ask you if you worked for The Lufkin Rule Company. I worked for them in the early 60's and was let go after Cooper tools bought them out anf they moved to Apex shortlu after that.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am

Coach - you can send me that PDF via email and I'll make it available to the membership.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 am

Be sure to get the filler screws for the holes. Nice to have if you remove the mount.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Game on

Post by Coach1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

B&OM.. I work for IBM but know a few folks from Lufkin who were laid off here - 10+ years ago now - and then got a job at IBM.

Bullseye.. I sent the Tap & Drill sheet to you via email.

I selected a local gunsmith - recommended by a couple of range officers. I plan to drop the pistol off tomorrow.

Ruger22... The new rail comes with 3 screws. If they bottom out and stand proud of the barrel when installed by themselves, I will look for specific fillers.
I might have to order them from Sturm Ruger, tho. They are not a size typically available at the local Ace hardware.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Coach, if you really need some filler screws, I can probably find some to send to you; I have bases on all my 10/22's and my22/45's so I should have a lot of filler screws around someplace.
I think it was 1966 or67 when I was laid off by Lufkin and a few years later they closed the place and moved everything to Apex, they had the plant there for some time then. There were very few of the engineering and management that transferred down there. Sad to see them leave as they had started up in Saginaw in the lumbering days in the 1880's If mt memory is correct.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Your local smith should be able to make you a set of filler screws. The scope mount sized screw is typically #6-48 tpi.

Looking at the PDF you sent me I see that the thread pitch size is normal for scope screws.

Here is a link to the document for anyone who wants it- Ruger Drill and Tap template

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Coach, if you really need some filler screws, I can probably find some to send to you; I have bases on all my 10/22's and my22/45's so I should have a lot of filler screws around someplace.
I think it was 1966 or67 when I was laid off by Lufkin and a few years later they closed the place and moved everything to Apex, they had the plant there for some time then. There were very few of the engineering and management that transferred down there. Sad to see them leave as they had started up in Saginaw in the lumbering days in the 1880's If mt memory is correct.

is that when you started working there? in the 1880's?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Coach, if you really need some filler screws, I can probably find some to send to you; I have bases on all my 10/22's and my22/45's so I should have a lot of filler screws around someplace.

is that when you started working there? in the 1880's?
No, that was when they got rid of me, as old and damn near useless.