New Toy

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

New Toy

Post by Bud33 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:39 pm

This is my first post on this site so I hope that it turns out as expected.
After almost 36 years of being away from competitive shooting a decided that I would like to at least get back into plinking.
I brought home a New MK-III 22/45 hunter today.
I like the way it feels since I spent most of my shooting years with a .45 in my hand. The trigger needs a LOT of work and I'm not sure if I like the Hi-Vis sights, but I guess time will tell.
In 1961, I bought a Ruger 22 that had been converted by Jim Clark. It had a 10' bull barrel with a built in muzzle brake. That was the best firing 22 I ever handled, and I tried most of them. This is what prompted the purchase of this gun.
I've been visiting your site since I bought the Gun last Friday. (Three day waiting period) and find it very enjoyable.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Welcome Bud! I hope you enjoy your new Hunter. If you haven't already been over to the workshop forum here's some links you may find useful with your new Mark III pistol.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm
http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

I look forward to hearing your observations and reading any contributions you have to offer to the forum. I see by your avatar that we have another Distinguished shooter among us and I'm certain that your marksmanship insights will be well received here, especially by our new shooters.

If there's something you wish to have added to the above webpages, don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to include them - the 22/45 pages are new, just since yesterday, at the request of another forum member.

Welcome again.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: New Toy

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Bud33 wrote:I brought home a New MK-III 22/45 hunter today.
In 1961, I bought a Ruger 22 that had been converted by Jim Clark.
I've been visiting your site since I bought the Gun last Friday.
(Three day waiting period) and find it very enjoyable.
Welcome. the MK3-hunter is certainly an Eye-Catcher,
I hope you get it to suit you. Consider the Volquartsen-Sear.
Do you still have the '61 Ruger?
Actually, this forum does not have a 3-day waiting period... :lol:
In the spirit of LBJ... Post-Early and Post-Often on this forum.
Take care, have a good week, let us know how the MK3 shoots
and which ammo(s) you find to be worthwhile.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

22/45 follow up

Post by Bud33 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Well, I've had some time to work with the new gun and I think I will get use to it but I am very disappointed in the trigger pull. Out of the box it had a pull that was very heavy (I no longer have a trigger scale) and you needed a pair of sneakers to catch up to the creep :cry:
Upon closer examination of the trigger group, I found that the sear looked like it was shaped with a bastard file. I spent the better part of the day polishing it with a hard Arkansas stone and got most of the scratches out. The trigger pull, now, is much lighter and there is only one step of creep which is better, but not what I'm looking for.
I don't expect the gun to ever function as well as my old Clark Custom, but I think I can get it to do better than it does now.
Can you tell me, basically, what the VQ sear has had done to make it better than the original?
My thinking, at this time is to replace the sear, and the hammer pin and bushing and see if this will make some more improvement.
Bud

5focus

Post by 5focus » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm

I had the same problem with my Hunter. I installed a VQ Sear for $20 and took out the Mag Safety and Spring. Then installed Stainless Steel Washers to take up the slop form the removed safety.

Trigger pull is light and crisp. Bulleye taught me that one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: 22/45 follow up

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Bud33 wrote:Well, I've had some time to work with the new gun and I think I will get use to it but I am very disappointed in the trigger pull. Out of the box it had a pull that was very heavy (I no longer have a trigger scale) and you needed a pair of sneakers to catch up to the creep :cry:
Upon closer examination of the trigger group, I found that the sear looked like it was shaped with a bastard file. I spent the better part of the day polishing it with a hard Arkansas stone and got most of the scratches out. The trigger pull, now, is much lighter and there is only one step of creep which is better, but not what I'm looking for.
I don't expect the gun to ever function as well as my old Clark Custom, but I think I can get it to do better than it does now.
Can you tell me, basically, what the VQ sear has had done to make it better than the original?
My thinking, at this time is to replace the sear, and the hammer pin and bushing and see if this will make some more improvement.

The VQ Target Sear has a slightly lower (1-2 degree) angle of engagement, which reduces the pull weight. Adding one of these and one of Clark's Oversized Hammer, Sear Pins and Bushing Kits will vastly remove the creep in your trigger. Any play in the hammer and sear pivot pins combined with a loose fitting hammer bushing can add considerable slop to the Ruger trigger. I also recommend adding a trigger with a pretravel screw installed, this will cut down on the amount of travel the trigger makes during the firing cycle.

If you still find you have some creep after adding these components, then you can add a 45 degree break-away angle to the backside edge of the sear. Just be careful not to go too far or the hammer will slip off and double on you.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I got the new VQ Sear today, the trigger was back ordered so I will wait on it so only need to do one disassembly.

The Sear was listed in the package as a "Micro Polished Sear", but it doesn't look polished to me. The Stock sear that I polished looks like a mirror!
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree sometimes the VQ sears don't always look their best but why not hold off judgement until you get it installed and give it a try.

Which brand/style of target trigger did you order?

Have you given the Clark pin and bushing kit any thought?

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 pm

BUD33,
That VQ sear may not look like you want but it will bring the pull weight down. I've installed maybe two dozen of them, straight out of the envelope, in MK11 and MK111's and never had a pull go over 3lbs.
Given that, I don't think there is much room to do a lot of stoning/polishing on it before you start doubling or not even cocking the hammer in the first place.
As Bullseye says, stick it in as is and get the Clark pin kit and I think you will be more than satisfied with the pull.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Bullseye wrote: Which brand/style of target trigger did you order?

Have you given the Clark pin and bushing kit any thought?

R,
Bullseye
I ordered the VC2TT MkII Target Trigger which has been back ordered...
I plan to get the Clark kit next and remove the "Magazine Disconnecter like you explained.

Boomer,
I plan on giving it a try . It will be interesting to compare the pull with the original Sear that I polished.
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 pm

You got the Mark II trigger. Any particular reason you chose that model over the Mark III version?

Hopefully you are considering installing a pretravel screw on your trigger.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:54 pm

Bullseye wrote:You got the Mark II trigger. Any particular reason you chose that model over the Mark III version?

Hopefully you are considering installing a pretravel screw on your trigger.

R,
Bullseye
This was the trigger that fit the MK II/22/45.
The MK III trigger is not listed for the 22/45 and the literature does not mention pretravel on either one.
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Yes that is an oversight on rimfire sports' website.

Here's VQ's description of the MKIII VC3TT trigger: (excerpt from the VQ kit description.)

"This alloy trigger is completely CNC machined and comes with both pretravel and overtravel adjustments. A polished trigger plunger and spring is included along with our extended bolt release."

Here's the picture on my page showing the MKIII trigger.

They all fit the 22/45's.

Who did you order it from? Perhaps they can send you the Mark III trigger instead of the backordered MKII version.

R,
Bullseye

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I ordered it on line... I gues I could call them....

Edit: Can't call. . . No phone number listed...
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 am

Maybe an e-mail message? If you're talking about Rimfire Sports & Custom, Alan Hinchliffe checks his e-mail messages often. I just sent him a correction to his website last night and it was fixed this morning.

R,
Bullseye