New Ruger Mark lll "Hunter"

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

tommyhaka

New Ruger Mark lll "Hunter"

Post by tommyhaka » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:00 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have a Ruger Mark lll Hunter, and really enjoy shooting it over my 9mm. It is so comfortable to shoot, and costs so much less to shoot. It has been totally reliable so far with over 1000 rds throught it. I did a completer tear down/reassembly on it the other day, and it took about 6 hours. :shock: I thought about calling ruger and giving them a piece of my mind. It seems to me there could be a better design for it. Now that I've got the experience doing it once, I think the second time will be pretty easy. So I will reconsider the phone call. It is a sturdy, handsome gun, and very reliable. I was going to buy a buckmark, but I thought the ruger would be a sturdier piece. Here are a couple of pictures below:

This picture shows the "Hunter" just after reassembly, and also a "MatchDot" red dot sight mounted on it. Notice the computer sitting on the work area for reference, totally necessary for tear downs and reassemblies. I think it looks pretty cool looking with the wood grips and sight.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:14 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Tommy.

I'm guessing that your pistol's work area proximity is due to utilizing my web help pages for maintenance on your new pistol? If not, then you may want to take a look here: http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm More than a few times I receive a picture with a pistol torn down and one of my web pages in the background visible on the computer screen.

That's a very nice looking pistol you have there. Don't stress, you'll have that tear down and reassembly cut down to minutes, instead of hours, in short order. Once you perform the task a few times, it becomes second nature and you'll be a pro before you know it.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:37 am

Welcome, Tommy. I know you will enjoy this site. The community here is helpful, knowledgeable and polite (Excluding myself on the knowledgeable part :lol:). I dare say it is the most helpful site of its kind!

It seems we share the same tastes -- right down to our choice of optics. The one I shoot only had one minor issue (burr on the outside lip of the extractor channel), which Bullseye helped me resolve. Aside from that no complaints! Its had a hefty share of rounds put through it and only ONE malfunction when I was the operator. Though it doesn't like other people 8) Not sure about the market these days, but thus far every time I have looked for spare parts they have been very easy to find and inexpensive. That is a big plus in my opinion. As far as accuracy, fantastic for the money. It holds its on against the m-41 I shoot.

Don't sweat the tear down. As you start understanding the mechanics of the the pistol it will just fall apart in your hands.

Out of curiosity does anyone know when and why Ruger changed the Hunter front sight design? Below is a picture of the old style, as you will see the old ones edges are not rounded and it does not have the flute.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum, tommy. Nice looking setup you have. I think you will be very pleased with the way it shoots with the red dot sight.

First-time field stripping and assembly of Rugers can be interesting. Bullseye's instructions have been a great help for folks like me.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:22 am

georgezilla: checked my Hunter. Must be one of the older ones because it has no flute on the front sight. The fluted one improves the looks of the pistol a bit.

I wonder if I can blame group sizes on having the older sight? I'm looking for all the excuses I can find. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am

In the two pictures that tommy posted the upper one has fluted sight base and the lower one doesn't. Cosmetics is the only reason I can see for the change.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 am

Hi forum
I'm guessing that your pistol's work area proximity is due to utilizing my web help pages for maintenance on your new pistol? If not, then you may want to take a look here: http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm More than a few times I receive a picture with a pistol torn down and one of my web pages in the background visible on the computer screen.
That's a very nice looking pistol you have there. Don't stress, you'll have that tear down and reassembly cut down to minutes, instead of hours, in short order. Once you perform the task a few times, it becomes second nature and you'll be a pro before you know it.
That's the website I used Bullseye, thank you. I think I could do the same cleaning in about 2 hours now, no problems, but still need your website. :wink:
Don't sweat the tear down. As you start understanding the mechanics of the the pistol it will just fall apart in your hands.
It sorta like a "right of passage" to owning a "Ruger". I feel the same way G'zilla, I could clean it in a quarter of the time now.
Welcome to the forum, tommy. Nice looking setup you have. I think you will be very pleased with the way it shoots with the red dot sight.
First-time field stripping and assembly of Rugers can be interesting. Bullseye's instructions have been a great help for folks like me.
The red dot sight is great, as BE's instructions were too. :wink:

thanks for the input, TH

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online TH!

Having the maintenance DIY web pages have helped countless numbers of Ruger owners over the last few years, and also cut way back on my electronic traffic tasking. Several years ago, I found that I was answering the exact same questions almost daily. I decided to compile all these inquiries into a set of detailed maintenance instruction pages, which many of you have visited. Its a win-win situation; everyone has the technical assistance they need to support their firearms and I'm delaying repetitive stress syndrome on my typing hands, hopefully for several years. :D

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 am

As far as changes in the sight, the original ones were made by HiViz, I have them on my 22/45s. Also use some of their sights on my 1911's and have a front and rear set on one of my 10/22's. Old eyes have problems seeing black iron sights, wait until you guys get there and you will see, or not see. Possibly Ruger is making them for their own use or the found another manufacturer that is cheaper.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:26 am

I've had a like-dislike relationship with the Hi-Viz sights. They aren't quite as good as the standard sights for precision target shooting, but I can see them a heck of a lot better, which translates to better target shooting for me. I bought the Hunter largely because of the Hi-Viz sights, the rest of my Rugers have had the standard sights. My next set of Ruger upgrades will be a combination of Hi-Viz sights and red dots.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:37 am

greener wrote:I've had a like-dislike relationship with the Hi-Viz sights. They aren't quite as good as the standard sights for precision target shooting, but I can see them a heck of a lot better, which translates to better target shooting for me. I bought the Hunter largely because of the Hi-Viz sights, the rest of my Rugers have had the standard sights. My next set of Ruger upgrades will be a combination of Hi-Viz sights and red dots.
Old eyes see the lite pipes better, but a good red dot is even better. I Have a couple of those real low cost red dots and a couple of better ones. The cheap ones were all right at the indoor rang, but outdoor in the bright the dot is not bright enough to see. I am just an old man trying to have fun so f they are all not in the 10 ring it is no problem, as long as most of them are in the black I am good to go.. :?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:48 am

The "Dot" rules! When outside in bright light conditions, I add a set of polarizing filters to my dot scope. With them I can dial down the background brightness downrange. A well placed target paster keeps the two lenses secure so they don't rotate under recoil and change my target brightness. That way I can keep my dot intensity at a reasonable level and not overdrive it and change the dot's shape.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:25 am

Bullseye wrote:The "Dot" rules! When outside in bright light conditions, I add a set of polarizing filters to my dot scope. With them I can dial down the background brightness downrange. A well placed target paster keeps the two lenses secure so they don't rotate under recoil and change my target brightness. That way I can keep my dot intensity at a reasonable level and not overdrive it and change the dot's shape.

R,
Bullseye
Never thought of that, regular camera filters in a filter holder, just go to the camera shop and get a set that fits. I have 4 of the dot type sights, an old Tasco ProPpoin4 PDP4 with a big dot that I use to use for bowling pins, an Aimshot holographic sight, both of these are bright enough for daylight use. Also have a BAS and a Tasco 42mm, these were very low cost units and a set of filters to make them work would most likely exceed their value..
Bullseye, nearing 950 will be an easy downhill run to 1K :) :)

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 pm

greener wrote:I've had a like-dislike relationship with the Hi-Viz sights. They aren't quite as good as the standard sights for precision target shooting, but I can see them a heck of a lot better, which translates to better target shooting for me. I bought the Hunter largely because of the Hi-Viz sights, the rest of my Rugers have had the standard sights. My next set of Ruger upgrades will be a combination of Hi-Viz sights and red dots.
I feel the same way, greener. When I'm shooting bullseye style I use a regular post instead of the Hi-Viz. When I'm shooting steel with it I'll put the Hi-Viz back on. Though I don't shoot nearly as much steel as I did when I started this sport, i find bullseye style much more enjoyable. I also replaced the V-express notch for a regular one -- it hasn't been back on the piece since i replaced it.