Scope question

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:57 pm

gcp wrote:where should I ultimately locate the scope,
closer to the rear sight or where it is now?
I kinda like to have the ocular at least 4-inches BEHIND the
pistol... it cuts down on the bloody-noses when that bolt
flies-back and punches me, each time I pull the trigger. :oops:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:24 pm

For feel and balance I like to have the scope as directly mounted over my hands as possible, this means more above the grip. You might try mounting that scope back closer to the rear sight and see how it feels to you. The further out front it is the heavier it will seem due to the forces of leverage. I don't know how many mounting channels your scope mount has, that would be the only limitation to how far rearwards the scope can mount on the pistol. It is easier to experiment on scope placement now before you shoot it and adjust it for shot correction.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Below is yesterday’s 65 yard bench rest shoot....I will definitely like this new set-up of mine.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 pm

Looks pretty good. Add some right windage adjustment and you'll be right in the middle. That RD-30 scope has 1/4" @ 100yds windage adjustments, so that equates to 1/8" at 50 yds. You'll have to put some serious right clicks on the scope to align it to the center of the target. Just though I'd mention the measurements since a few clicks of windage would be barely noticable.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:15 am

I will probably get another chance to shoot this weekend, I'll post results. This set-up is quite a bit heavier though, which can be good and bad.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:51 pm

Yes, using a scope takes a little getting used to. Some strength training can help that out considerably. A one or two pound weight lifted at arms length several times a day will tighten those muscles right up. It's an excercise you can do while watching TV. Get a cheap set of those plastic aerobics dumbells from Walmart and use that for the strength training. Once your arm strength tightens up, your groups will shrink like magic.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:48 am

You are absolutely correct Bullseye, strength training is always a good thing. I do shoulder exercises at the gym in that fashion. Funny thing though is I've never been able to shoot worth a darn right after a gym session, due to excessive hand shake . Always give the body time to rest tired/aching muscles before shooting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 am

Absouletly, muscle fatigue causes trembling. This can be seen while shooting if someone holds a pistol up in the air longer than they should, the firearm will begin uncontrollably vibrating. It is not a good idea to go target shooting immediately after strenuous exercise. At least, not if you're trying to shoot tight groups for score.

Another good strength training excercise is wrist rolling. Take a 2 foot piece of broomstick and enough clothes line to reach the floor with your arms extended straight out from your body. Drill a small hole in the center of the broomstick that is large enough to allow the clothes line to pass though. Tie a good knot in the end of the line. Fasten the other end of the line to a one or two pound weight. Extend both arms out paralell from the ground. Gradually roll the rope onto the stick, turining one hand at a time, lifting the weight until it reaches the stick. Turn your wirsts in the oppostite direction, again one hand then the other unilt the weight slowly desends back to the gorund. It is important to not let the weight slide to the ground, unroll it down. Don't drop your arms, keep them paralell to the ground. Do this excercise as many repititions as you can physically stand. At first, one or two cycles will be all one can do, but as time and practice goes on, more rolling cycles will be possible. Your shoulders, wrists, and forearms will burn like hades but that is strengthening your muscles and building stamina. This is one of the best excercises for improving your hold and firming your grip. When you can roll the weight up and back 10 times you've reached the apex benefit of this strength training excercise.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:18 pm

This is an excellent exercise! Used to do it years back but somehow it dropped off my radar screen. Thanks for reminding me of it bullseye!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Here's a picture of something similar I found on the Net. The only difference is extend your arms out shoulder high, and paralell to the ground.

This is a low-tech example like I've described in my earlier posting. If you want a fancy high-tech one, then do an internet search on wrist rollers and you'll see they can be bought already assembled.

R,
Bullseye