Holster Wear

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Holster Wear

Post by teejay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm

I know that a bunch of us here have "safe Queens" that we take out and fondle every once in a while, but really don't shoot to preserve it's worth.
But when it comes down to it, holster wear brings out the character of a pistol. You can tell it's "been there," how well it's been loved and cared for. The look of a Luger or P.38, Walther, 1911, or whatever that shows usage gives it more mystic appeal. Holster wear doesn't put me off at all when looking at a firearm, rather gives it that extra bit of awe. What say you? TJ

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:24 am

Well, I'm one of those twisted individuals that won't have a tool I can't use. The concept of paying big bucks for something I can only look at eludes me entirely.

I keep my "collection" cleaned and oiled, but I use every one of them. If, during use, they get scratched or rubbed or worn in some way, so be it. Rub the ouchie down with a little oil, and put it back in the cabinet for next time.

But then, I don't wash and wax my vehicles every weekend either. Or even every year...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:30 am

Downeaster wrote:Well, I'm one of those twisted individuals that won't have a tool I can't use. The concept of paying big bucks for something I can only look at eludes me entirely.

I keep my "collection" cleaned and oiled, but I use every one of them. If, during use, they get scratched or rubbed or worn in some way, so be it. Rub the ouchie down with a little oil, and put it back in the cabinet for next time.

But then, I don't wash and wax my vehicles every weekend either. Or even every year...
And I thought I was the only one with that attitude. My vehicle does get washed at every oil change, that is an extra little goodie my dealerships service provides.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:17 pm

My point exactly. Safe Queens are "investments," but I don't want to spend good money on something I take out now and then to look at. I'll take a used, not abused, gun that has been out there anytime. TJ

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Well count me in, I will not own a tool/gun I can not use. To me it's a waste of money to just look at them. They are designed to shoot not just to look at.

As far as wash and wax. Every time my dad took cattle to the auction the lady would ask him why don't you wash your pickup. My dad would reply "it's get washed every time it rains". As for wax, he never did. I'm the same way, all of my vehicles set out in the elements. One reason when I repaint, I use the paints that do not need to be waxed.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Good, honest wear from use or a holster sure does look good on a handgun. After all, they were made to be used.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:55 am

I've got a number of tools that I don't use. Bought them for a specific task and haven't used them since, or with a couple, couldn't find them when I needed them and bought them again. I also wash vehicles semi-regularly and wax them every now and then because it keeps the paint in better shape.

I don't have any firearms that I don't shoot. Some get fired more than others. I really haven't thought about resale value when I bought them. I've stayed away from collector's firearms because I'd just take them out and shoot them and ruin the value.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 am

greener wrote:
I don't have any firearms that I don't shoot. Some get fired more than others. I really haven't thought about resale value when I bought them. I've stayed away from collector's firearms because I'd just take them out and shoot them and ruin the value.
That's always pretty much my thinking also. If I don't like one it usually gets traded off on another, sooner or later. As far as the rest that I like and shoot, I will most likely never sell them, so the value really means nothing to me. After I am gone, What do I care of their value.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Downeaster wrote:But then, I don't wash and wax my vehicles every weekend either. Or even every year...
I've washed my current vehicle once in the 20 months I've had it. Amazing how clean they'll stay with regular rain.........

I do clean the windows and vacuum it out once in a while.

Holster wear is fine, but I touch up blue, no need to leave bare steel exposed. Stainless gets occasional attention with Scotchbrite or 600 grit paper to re-brush finish any shiny spots. I like to keep a nearly new appearance.

Seems I love my guns more than my car.............
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols