Thought You Might Enjoy

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Thought You Might Enjoy

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 pm

So this guy walks in to a pal of mines shop needing to get a scope mounted. The customer sees some Marine items in the shop and says that he is a Marine. My pal showed him some Americansniper Challenge Coins and the customer pulls out his ID card which turns out to identify him as a Medal Of Honor holder. My pal gets weak in the knees and gives him one of the AS Challenge coins, and the guy gives him a MOH Challenge Coin that is unique to him 8) Naturally the customer left the shop with his scope properly mounted in a new set of rings at no charge. He only said that he was at Chosin in the Korean conflict. WE lost no time looking him up! His citation:
The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor
to

CAFFERATA, HECTOR A., JR.

Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Company F, 2d Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein.). Place and date: Korea, 28 November 1950. Entered service at: Dover, N.J. Born: 4 November 1929, New York, N.Y.
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a rifleman with Company F, in action against enemy aggressor forces. When all the other members of his fire team became casualties, creating a gap in the lines, during the initial phase of a vicious attack launched by a fanatical enemy of regimental strength against his company's hill position, Pvt. Cafferata waged a lone battle with grenades and rifle fire as the attack gained momentum and the enemy threatened penetration through the gap and endangered the integrity of the entire defensive perimeter. Making a target of himself under the devastating fire from automatic weapons, rifles, grenades, and mortars, he maneuvered up and down the line and delivered accurate and effective fire against the onrushing force, killing 15, wounding many more, and forcing the others to withdraw so that reinforcements could move up and consolidate the position. Again fighting desperately against a renewed onslaught later that same morning when a hostile grenade landed in a shallow entrenchment occupied by wounded marines, Pvt. Cafferata rushed into the gully under heavy fire, seized the deadly missile in his right hand and hurled it free of his comrades before it detonated, severing part of 1 finger and seriously wounding him in the right hand and arm. Courageously ignoring the intense pain, he staunchly fought on until he was struck by a sniper's bullet and forced to submit to evacuation for medical treatment Stouthearted and indomitable, Pvt. Cafferata, by his fortitude, great personal valor, and dauntless perseverance in the face of almost certain death, saved the lives of several of his fellow marines and contributed essentially to the success achieved by his company in maintaining its defensive position against tremendous odds. His extraordinary heroism throughout was in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.
Last edited by KAZ on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Incredible. Could you hear the metallic clanking as he walked?
You know that heroics like that aren't performed with future admiration in mind ... but he should still get free drinks for life.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:29 am

He'd get all the free drinks he wanted of the really good stuff and I'd easily remember how to give a proper salute. The CMH citations are incredible and, unfortunately, most of the awards contain the word "Posthumous"

I bet the coin will have a deserved place of honor in the shop.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 am

I've met a few MOH recipients and they have all be very reticent men. A few will talk about their experiences but many who do use their words sparingly. I find having folks like this around a humbling experience. It's great to see them treated with the respect and admiration they deserve.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:47 am

Bullseye, this guy was exactly like those you have described meeting. The MOH only came out when my pal and he started sharing sea stories as old vets will do, and my pal produced the sniper challenge coin. It was after it was explained to him that it was an honor to help him with his rifle that he left for his car and returned with the MOH challenge coin.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association