Dreaming of a White Christmas?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:10 pm

greener wrote:the Nylon 66 would look pretty good. I've been looking at used in .45LC, but like you, didn't see any. New ones look darned good, but are a bit out of my price range. Not seeing any used .357's either. Mebbe some at the gun show next weekend.
New ones at best we are talking about $700.00 for a .45 or #500.00 for a .38/.3567, the .44 Mags are around $700.00 also. Sure can roll and shoot a lot of .38's for 400 bucks. I seriously doubt finding used, other than the stroke of luck I had at the pawn shop is possible. With the big popularity of the cowboy shoots, I think they have sucked up every pistol cartridge lever gun in the US. After I got to thinking, I convinced myself another .22 that I have always wanted to own since the 60's and a lot of ammo for all the guns, Shooting a lot is the fun part.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:05 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:don't know about a white Xmas but had a white new years at work.....was out by the lake michigan shoreline this morning and was plowing snow with the front bumper of my cruiser.......stepped out to clean off the headlights and the snow was up to my knees. drove 5 miles inland and there was clear skies.... 14deg and sunny (4deg windchill)
That does deter the crime wave, does it not. BG's do not like that weather.
yes too cold t be out lurking about...and it makes for easier tracking on the ones that run away

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:59 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:don't know about a white Xmas but had a white new years at work.....was out by the lake michigan shoreline this morning and was plowing snow with the front bumper of my cruiser.......stepped out to clean off the headlights and the snow was up to my knees. drove 5 miles inland and there was clear skies.... 14deg and sunny (4deg windchill)
That does deter the crime wave, does it not. BG's do not like that weather.
yes too cold t be out lurking about...and it makes for easier tracking on the ones that run away
Makes it easy on the LEO, no tracking dog required, and besides after you catch him there is no need to throw them in the "cooler". You might eve catch a frozen solid lurker, just toss him in the trunk and head for the station house.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 am

Only a few traces of snow down hyar in sunny Richmond. It is 19 this morning but will go to the low 30's. Sure do miss the Michigan snow. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 am

greener wrote:Only a few traces of snow down hyar in sunny Richmond. It is 19 this morning but will go to the low 30's. Sure do miss the Michigan snow. :lol:
Things are rough up here in Michigan, this morning earlier, we did not even have a temperature.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 am

That lake effect snow is a weird thing sometimes. I grew up within 20 miles of the Lake Erie shoreline and we got feet of snow while everyone a few miles south and west go just a few inches. This time of year it tended to be so cold, sub-zero temps, one deep breath produced instant snot-sicles. One big gulp of air and you'd get an instant brain freeze. Gee, I wonder why I don't still live there! :D

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 am

When I moved to Michigan I'd mention snow and folks would reply "it's only lake effect" like it wasn't real snow. I wasn't smart enough to see the difference between lake effect and real snow when I was shoveling out the driveway.

After moving to Virginia, I knew I had readjusted to the south when 40 felt cold. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 pm

greener wrote:When I moved to Michigan I'd mention snow and folks would reply "it's only lake effect" like it wasn't real snow. I wasn't smart enough to see the difference between lake effect and real snow when I was shoveling out the driveway.

After moving to Virginia, I knew I had readjusted to the south when 40 felt cold. :lol:
You got to look t it very closely, otherwise it's all the same. My oldest son went to Michigan Tech in Houghton/ Hancock in the Keewenaw peninsula of da UP, eh? No matter what way the wind blows, other than due South, they get lake effect snow. His senior year 1979/1980, they set a record that still stands today, I believe. Houghton County Airport 366 inches and Copper Harbor, as far North as you can get in Michigan 390 inches. Thats a lot of snow. Went there to go snowmobiling with him for a few days in early March 80, no lack of snow on the trails, and not bad weather.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:48 pm

bearandoldman wrote: You got to look t it very closely, otherwise it's all the same. My oldest son went to Michigan Tech in Houghton/ Hancock in the Keewenaw peninsula of da UP, eh? No matter what way the wind blows, other than due South, they get lake effect snow. His senior year 1979/1980, they set a record that still stands today, I believe. Houghton County Airport 366 inches and Copper Harbor, as far North as you can get in Michigan 390 inches. Thats a lot of snow. Went there to go snowmobiling with him for a few days in early March 80, no lack of snow on the trails, and not bad weather.
Ilse Royal is as far north as you can get in Michigan without being in canada......but no city there I think

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: You got to look t it very closely, otherwise it's all the same. My oldest son went to Michigan Tech in Houghton/ Hancock in the Keewenaw peninsula of da UP, eh? No matter what way the wind blows, other than due South, they get lake effect snow. His senior year 1979/1980, they set a record that still stands today, I believe. Houghton County Airport 366 inches and Copper Harbor, as far North as you can get in Michigan 390 inches. Thats a lot of snow. Went there to go snowmobiling with him for a few days in early March 80, no lack of snow on the trails, and not bad weather.
Ilse Royal is as far north as you can get in Michigan without being in canada......but no city there I think
Isle Royale don't count as you can nnot drive there without a boat trip. Have drive to the end of the road up there in the Keewenaw, just past the village of Copper Harbor, both by car and snowmobile. I don;t think they even let cars up ther, do they?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Downeaster wrote: When I was stationed in Pensacola, Florida, they had a "once in a decade" snowstorm. It actually snowed about a quarter of an inch, but it the ground had previously frozen, so it didn't melt on contact and actually stayed for several hours.
Was that the winter of 1978-79? I remember more like an inch and a half, maybe. :roll: I was in Milton, FL working for Beech Aerospace at Whiting NAS. We maintained our T-34Cs for the Navy. I had just moved down from VA for the job. Still had snow tires on my Plymouth Cricket ( remember those?, actually Hillman Avenger).

I worked third shift, and when I got to the hanger it was deserted. I looked around a few minutes and went back home. But, to their credit they somehow found out I came in and paid me for the whole shift!
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols