Petition to ban lead nationally

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

azkmd

Petition to ban lead nationally

Post by azkmd » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Figures, as soon as I get comfortable with my ammo reserve they do something like this. :(

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/lead/

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Why don't they do something useful like "Ban Hot Air" Then we can get rid of all the politions.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:43 am

When reading the whole thing I see that Arizona Game and Fish is not recommending a ban on lead in hunting and fishing products, just caution about this petition from an environmental group. Here is one of AZGFD's statements,"The Department is not pursuing a recommendation to regulate or ban lead for use in hunting ammunition or fishing tackle."

Tree huggers are pushing for a lead ban based on an old study of California Condors, one that resulted in CA taking drastic action on lead use ammunition. As I see it, this sparked an idea in the anti-gun crowd that they could ban folks from making their own ammunition (i.e. reloaders) by banning lead use in ammo. You can't control ammo availability as long as people have the means to make their own. As I see it just another step in ultimately banning guns. If the ammo is controlled, made ridiculously expensive, or impossible to obtain, the usage of firearms will dwindle until there's little resistance to legislative gun control measures in government.

In the mid 80's many ammunition manufacturers changed shotgun pellets over to steel to help with lead ingestion in waterfowl. An area where I could see a lead in the environment issue, based on the number of shotgun pellets raining down on my head at any time while out on many duck hunts. The lead pellets would settle down to the bottom of the ponds and streams where the waterfowl would ingest it while searching for food off the bottom. As far as spent bullets causing lead toxicity in wildlife, I don't see this as a big problem because the lead is not abundant in the wildlife's food sources like it was for the waterfowl.

I believe the AZFGD says it best here, "Arizona Game and Fish Department urges caution in the rush to judgment in the proposal to ban lead ammunition and fishing tackle nationally."

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 am

Well said Bullseye. Truly a LEFT end run at gun control by those who have suffered some setbacks in efforts to disarm all but criminals. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm not normally an alarmist but if it waddles and quacks it is likely a duck.

R,
Bullseye

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

I never ment to imply that Arizona Game and Fish was supporting this petition. They happened to send it in a email, so I used the link from thier site.

Bullseye, you're dead on with your statements. Too bad the light won't go on for a lot of people until it's too late.

No question in my mind, definitely a duck.