There are those kind of folks out there

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

There are those kind of folks out there

Post by greener » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:33 pm

And I've met two in the last week.

The first thing I learned about firearms safety over 50 years ago was that I didn't handle them when people were in front of me. It was one of the guiding principles from my time in the military. In the last two range trips I've asked two people to "Please put your weapon down while people are downrange and the range is cold." Both got angry. One pulled another handgun and showed me it wasn't loaded. (He was the one who told me about all the military marksmanship teams he had been on.). Today, I was told "don't you ever tell me what to do." I'm definitely not a wimp and have not been intimidated by guys wearing eagles and stars on their collars when it came to range safety, so these guys didn't come close. They also put the guns down. Strange that I've run into two in a week's time.

The only thing worse than arguing with a jerk, is arguing with a jerk with a gun.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Those are the jerks that get reported to the owner or range officer. That a huge liability for the owner. All of the out door ranges I have been ever at, during a cease fire you are not allowed back to the bench till the all clear is given.

I only have a indoor range close to me that takes care of that problem.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: There are those kind of folks out there

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:49 pm

greener wrote:And I've met two in the last week.

The first thing I learned about firearms safety over 50 years ago was that I didn't handle them when people were in front of me. It was one of the guiding principles from my time in the military. In the last two range trips I've asked two people to "Please put your weapon down while people are downrange and the range is cold." Both got angry. One pulled another handgun and showed me it wasn't loaded. (He was the one who told me about all the military marksmanship teams he had been on.). Today, I was told "don't you ever tell me what to do." I'm definitely not a wimp and have not been intimidated by guys wearing eagles and stars on their collars when it came to range safety, so these guys didn't come close. They also put the guns down. Strange that I've run into two in a week's time.

The only thing worse than arguing with a jerk, is arguing with a jerk with a gun.

The way your luck is running, do not waste money on lottery tickets.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:05 pm

You see all kinds at the public shooting ranges. I usually just stay kindly persistent, as I'm sure you did, that handling weapons while folks are down range is not permitted. I really like the ranges with a red line painted on the ground, that's the "Do not cross line" while folks are downrange and beyond the firing points.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:34 pm

This is a limited membership shooting club. I can see youngsters or new shooters maybe not remembering but both these guys were old enough and had been shooting long enough to know better. Guess you just run into these guys every now and then.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Since it is 'limited' there must be some kind of standing rules for membership. Perhaps the club's membership roster should be limited by a few more. I have encountered those who seem to think the rules are for other folks or "I'm not being unsafe when handling weapons". That's when accidents happen and you were within your rights to remind them of the rules. Too bad folks today have forgotten about common courtesy and act belligerent when someone calls on them to follow the rules.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 pm

greener wrote:This is a limited membership shooting club. I can see youngsters or new shooters maybe not remembering but both these guys were old enough and had been shooting long enough to know better. Guess you just run into these guys every now and then.
Rob, you remember my range, I have seen guys just walk out on the 50 yard range or the 7 yard range because that is not the one I am on, when I am shooting at 25 yard. Have seen it happen more than once and mostly older guys, well not older than me.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 am

I don't like someone walking downrange while it is live, but it better than me being downrange during a cease fire when the unloaded gun goes off in my direction.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:10 am

bearandoldman wrote: Rob, you remember my range, I have seen guys just walk out on the 50 yard range or the 7 yard range because that is not the one I am on, when I am shooting at 25 yard. Have seen it happen more than once and mostly older guys, well not older than me.
I had this happen to me, except I was the one down range. Considering the guys target, I'm lucky I didn't get hit... Said person is no longer allowed at the range.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:20 am

Like you greener, I have a zero tolerance response to any BS at the range. The other thing is that most of us shoot for it's therapeutic value, and resent anyone who causes drama. We don't require shooters to leave the firing line when someone is placing targets, but you sit at your bench with actions open until everyone is back behind the line. How many times have you been muzzle swept while a shooter is getting setup at the line?
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 am

greener wrote:I don't like someone walking downrange while it is live, but it better than me being downrange during a cease fire when the unloaded gun goes off in my direction.
Right, you got to look out for number one first and the others later. The way I have seen some of those guys shoot, standing in front of their target may be the safest place. Watching some guys my age sighting in a rifle one day and they insisted on not hitting the paper at 50 and did not want to move closer. Got them finally to move to 25 took the bolt out and gave them a quick boresight and then they were just a few inches off. They would have run out of ammo before they ever hit the carrier. They kept walking out to look at the target and I wold notice them after they were half way there. Peripheral vision suffers when using a scope left handed and they are on that side.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:42 am

KAZ wrote:Like you greener, I have a zero tolerance response to any BS at the range. The other thing is that most of us shoot for it's therapeutic value, and resent anyone who causes drama. We don't require shooters to leave the firing line when someone is placing targets, but you sit at your bench with actions open until everyone is back behind the line. How many times have you been muzzle swept while a shooter is getting setup at the line?
Muzzle swept with an empty or questionable gun is on thing but with a known loaded safety off gun is another. Shooting sporting clays and a guy joined us at the first station and I do not care to shoot with him as he is unsafe, but you have to be a gentleman. Target presentation is a true pair that can be broken with one sot about 30% of the time, he gets both and turns around and steps down ans sweeps the group before I get nasty and tell him to open the gun. This was about the third time he had done this to me at different clubs, proceeded to let him know how I felt and a "Chief Boats" would have been proud of me. Bear and I went back to the clubhouse and have never seen him again, thankfully.