Sighting in an LCP with a Crimson Trace

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Matt_S

Sighting in an LCP with a Crimson Trace

Post by Matt_S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

I am just getting a Crimson Trace laser for my LCP. It says that the CTs are sighted in at 50yds from the factory. I think I need to adjust it. :lol: What would be an appropriate range to sight it in? I'm thinking about 20ft max. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:34 pm

It seems to me that you'd want to get it matched to the iron sights at 10 yards or so, and then tweak it from there.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Sight it for its purpose. No further than 10 yards I'd figure...

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Sight it for the distance you think you would shoot it..I would sight it for 7-15 yards, Point of impact isn't going to be much different out to 25 yards or so.

Matt_S

Post by Matt_S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:59 pm

All good advice. Many thanks!

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:09 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:Sight it for the distance you think you would shoot it..I would sight it for 7-15 yards, Point of impact isn't going to be much different out to 25 yards or so.
although my experience with the LCP would indicate 25 yards is wishful dreaming.... 50 feet is discouraging.....

It's a last resort belly gun..... :!:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Never shot the LCR but my experience with has been 25 yards is the MAX range i would shoot at.... a 38 sighted at 7 yards is going to be pretty close at 25

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 pm

I think we're talking about the lil' LCP, the diminutive .380 acp. I have one, very, very, marginal sights....I think it holds about 4 inches at 7 yards..

It serves it's intended purpose well, but, can easily be overextended..

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

oops I was thinking lcr.... Never shot a lcp either Have shot a Keltec..p3AT....I think 10 yrds is max for that little guy. However it is not the .380acp's fault it is more the small grip and sights of the LCP along with the long heavy trigger. my PPK would be fine at 25 yards at 10 yards I can keep 2" groups when I can find ammo

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Although, the CT dot would be a BIG improvement over the sights on that gun

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I think 50 yards is a might ambitious for an LCP. I've done acceptable groups at 15 yards, one actually fairly tight and I've never fired one at that distance again. :lol:

I agree with the other posters. Sight in 7-10 yards max. The LCP is a pure defensive gun. Is 50' really self-defense range?

I have a CT on my M&P9. It's sighted in at 7-10 yards although it is not bad at 15 yards. You need to follow the directions and ensure that the laser is where it should be relative to the front sight. The CT works pretty well in house-type lighting, darned well in the dark and isn't worth a hoot outside on a fairly bright day, so I have little practice with the laser. I can't see it most days.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 pm

I had CTC grips on my Beretta M9 that I sold. I thought the CTC's were off and needed adjusting, but found it was a matter of trying to press the "on" button and aim at the same time. This may sound easy, and may be for some, but as I pressed the button, it made me alter my grip pressure of the remaining fingers. Thus, shooting errantly. It is sort of the same thing when someone buys a new gun and thinks it shoots bad, thinking it must be the sights. Sometimes it is, but most times it is the shooter. Some guns just don't suit some people. Maybe? it's the same with the laser grips, maybe you are not shooting with your natural grip. LCP? wow, I think you might be asking alot to be able to hit the little red dot consistantly. :P
JMO, Haka

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm

CT's for the M&P are part of the molded backstrap. Your grip activates the laser, so it's a pretty natural activation. Haven't looked closely at the CT's on an LCP but they don't look bad. I found I needed a fair amount of practice time to acclimate to the laser and make sure it was properly adjusted. Takes a bit of practice

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 am

I never felt comfortable using it, and my shots were always off. I think it would be doubly hard with a pocket gun like the LCP. Of course, this doesn't mean at all that they aren't a benefit to this poster. Good luck with them.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:33 am

Hakaman wrote:I never felt comfortable using it, and my shots were always off. I think it would be doubly hard with a pocket gun like the LCP. Of course, this doesn't mean at all that they aren't a benefit to this poster. Good luck with them.
Haka
ReAlly don't see the neeD for laser sight on a pocket gun. I figure if I need to use my P3AT, my weak side gun, at less than 7 yrds, just pull it out and point and shoot 6 times. We are not target shooting and looking for X's, just hit the targt is all that is required.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.