1911's

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

scaleman

1911's

Post by scaleman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Hey y'all i am considering the idea of me getting a 1911. I want to be able to use a .22 conversion kit in the future for pratice. There are so many models to pick from. Which brand / model will give me th best result out of the box?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:46 am

There are a lot of variables to your question. What type of pistol discipline are you most likely to use this pistol in? What 1911 configuration do you prefer? (i.e. styles, beavertail or regular grip, arched mainspring housing or flat, etc.) Do you want a custom built pistol or one that is factory accurized? Are you planning to add on a Red Dot scope? Do you want a Wadcutter gun or a Ball gun?

On the whole, a Les Baer or a Clark is a good investment. But, Baer recently stopped shipping custom pistols to catch up on back orders, or so they say. Factory models include Kimber, Rock River, and Springfield custom shop production models.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 pm

My understand is that Rock River has stopped making 1911's.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes I was mistaken in my earlier post. It wasn't Les Baer that suspended production, it was Rock River Arms. According to RRA's website the suspension of custom 1911's is only temporary, but reading deeper into their explanation sounds a little more ominous. We'll just have to wait and see if RRA resumes taking orders for their custom pistols.

R,
Bullseye

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 pm

That is why I jumped on the last PS2100 they had ready, in stock.

I really did not want to depart with what money I had at the time, but hey, it is only money, right :) and of course I wanted one.

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:25 am

Right now, a lot of people are feeling the same as you about spending their extra cash on luxuries. It was fortunate that you capitalized on the last available custom RRA 1911. Especially if you planned on eventually spending that money on a custom pistol.

R,
Bullseye

scaleman

Post by scaleman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks again for your input Bullseye. How are the Tauras PT1911's, anybody know? They seem to come with alot of features out of the box and they have a nice price tag. I just dont know if I can use the Kimber .22 setup on them.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:54 am

I haven't had any PT1911's come through my shop for customization. The Taurus 1911's are designed to be compatible with other standard 1911 parts. Many folks have replaced a lot of the internal parts with higher quality replacement parts. Many of the Taurus parts are MIM.

The Kimber 22 Conversion will work on a PT1911 frame with a few modifications. The PT1911 has a Colt Series 80 style firing pin block. The kimber conversion doesn't have a clearance slot for this type of safety device and will either need a slot cut into the underside of the slide to work properly, or the safety levers removed and spacers installed into the frame for proper clearance.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

My Kimber

Post by KAZ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

I bought this one because it was more like the ones in the Marines Det 1 spec and available to the commercial market. I have not been disappointed as it has been flawless. A sweet trigger right out of the box, and feeds everything with out fail. A great set of sights, and as accurate as some of my custom guns. this one is several years old so I can't speak to current production, and I don't use a 22RF conversion. I love the Chip McCormick Power Mags. Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:50 am

Bought this one because I just like the looks of it and it is my everyday carry along with my backup P3AY Kel Tec, it is an SA Loaded Micro in OD Green. Wighw 2 pounds even with a full mag and yes it is a sahooter as it gets a mag or two every range trip.
Sure wish it still looke that good, lots of finish wear on the corners etc due to its use.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Now Bear's Daddy I really like that Micro 8) Nice set of snag free sights as well.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:25 pm

KAZ wrote:Now Bear's Daddy I really like that Micro 8) Nice set of snag free sights as well.
Yup, hat is my every day right hip pocket holster carry, it looks a lot more worn on finish now and has a set of Hogue rubber grips on it now. Those wood grips are pretty but the Hogues feel better, also have an SAV-10, 3-1/2 ported barrel and a steel frame it is also a good shooter but weighs a half pound more.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:34 am

Bullseye wrote:Right now, a lot of people are feeling the same as you about spending their extra cash on luxuries. It was fortunate that you capitalized on the last available custom RRA 1911. Especially if you planned on eventually spending that money on a custom pistol.

R,
Bullseye
On gunbroker I have been able to pick up a bullseye accurized 1911 .45 (old colt) and a .357 already decked out for PPC at a fraction of the cost they usually go for. I think people are parting with their older guns and there are some great bargains out there. Although...nobody is giving away M41s yet....