Can't disassemble my MKIII678

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

tom234

Can't disassemble my MKIII678

Post by tom234 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 am

After shooting ~ 50 rounds at the range, the trigger became inoperative [like the trigger did not reset]. I removed the magazine, pulled the bolt back to eject the chambered round, then started to disassemble. I got the mainspring unlatched but it will only come out about 5/8"; not enough to allow it to swing upward as usual. It appears something internally is holding or binding it. I've tried light prying on the main spring with a screw driver but it won't budge. I don't want to damage anything and haven't a clue what to try next.

Could there be internal damage [something broken] that is preventing main spring removal ? How should I proceed to get it disassembled?

I've had the MKIII678 several years and I've never had any problems with it.

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:54 pm

You must dry fire the pistol first before trying to unlatch the mainspring, The hammer is now cocked & the hammer strut is fully engaged into the mainspring housing..
You'll need to put an empty magazine into the pistol to drop the hammer if it's a MKIII because of the magazine disconector safety.
Good Luck..

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Field strip problem

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:39 pm

HK gives good advice. If you have not dropped the hammer yet.. you will need to do so.. But then, the trigger has to be working somewhat to do that...

Removing the pin from the upper housing / bolt can be assisted by lightly tapping the top of the pin with a brass punch... versus a screw driver prying at the main spring lever.

Did you have a trigger job performed? The set screw for pre-travel may have moved if not Loctite'd in place.

I am sure Bullseye will have some good advice.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Coach1 and Headknocker have the correct answer if you didn't decock the hammer first.

See http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm for some pretty good instructions.

tom234

Post by tom234 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Oops, forgot to mention I removed mag safety & LCI when I put in a VQ match trigger & sear and a Clark hammer bushing.
The trigger is all the way back, like immediately after firing, and feels locked in place and cannot be moved forward.
Been a long time since I've had it apart..... Is the pre-travel set screw the one positioned vertically ? I'll remove it and see what happens. Thanks

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Don't think you need to do the mag thing. Close the mainspring.

Look at troubleshooting and follow #1 instructions. You really have to rap the muzzle hard to release it. You might also want to put some blue loctite on the pre-travel adjustment screw when you get all this finished and the screw reset.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

or try this if the first one fails http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421

tom234

Post by tom234 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 pm

You all were right, my problem was the trigger pre-travel adjustment screw. I forgot all about it and neglected to Locktite it when I installed it almost 4 years ago thinking I might want to make adjustments later. Another lesson learned. Thanks again guys.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MKIII back in service

Post by Coach1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am

Tom.. Glad to hear that you solved the problem. Have fun with the Ruger and stay in touch with the forum.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones