Solution to starting to get light firing pin hits - 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Solution to starting to get light firing pin hits - 22/45

Post by FourCornerm'n » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Some have probably been through this before. Just recently it seemed that my practice 22/45 was getting too many non-firing Federal bulk rounds than expected. The gun was cleaner than usual, but I hadn't gone into the bolt in a long while. Took it apart tonight and the firing pin spring (below the firing pin) was about half the length it started out being. I looked closer and the spring was broken with half of it INSIDE the other half. I was once sent a number of small springs and the A03900 'thingy' (flat, two diameter stabilizing pin?), so I just replaced both and will see tomorrow how many rounds don't go off as they were made to do.

HINT: My bolt's firing pin block (A03500) was beginning to fall out each time I removed the bolt from the gun. I thought I was going to have to call the Mounties on a regular basis to help search for it. The firing pin spring was supposed to be helping hold it in place. It's certainly doing so, now.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 am

Those rebound springs don't last forever. It's a good idea to check them periodically for wear or breakage. The symptoms you've described is a good reason to inspect closer to determine the causes of sudden poor detonation syndrome.

Another good place to check regularly is the firing pin stop. These can wear and allow the firing pin to strike the breech face. This problem is more common to the newer Mark III pistols with the solid firing pin stop pin.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 am

I've often read of firing pin stop (bolts or pins) coming loose, but mine is rock solid after putting the new rebound spring in. What's the difference between the Mark II (22/45 in my case) and the Mark III firing pin stops?

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 am

The new MKIII stop pins are roll pins instead of solid pins. Supposed to allow them to fall out less easily. I've had a pin fall out once. I haven't worn the original MKIII solid pins to the point I get light strikes. My MKIII Hunter has the VQ hammer, which supposedly gives light strikes and I haven't had the problem.

I hate to parts swap on a guess, but if I cleaned the bolt thoroughly, including the firing pin assembly and area and still have the problem, I'd be tempted to replace the rebound spring and the whole firing pin assembly.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Recently Ruger has gone back to the solid pins and some are not holding up too well. It is a good idea to take the stop pin out and check it from time to time. Some of the new ones are getting damaged and allowing the firing pin to strike the breech face. I've mentioned this before when one of my personal Mark III's experienced this failure and I've seen several more instances since. The pin looks fine from outside the bolt, and is in place, but is damaged or broken from dry firing. If you get one that's damaged you should contact Ruger and acquire a new replacement.

R,
Bullseye