Volquartsen sear installed ...wow

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dri-Wash

Volquartsen sear installed ...wow

Post by Dri-Wash » Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Just finished installing the Volquartsen Sear and extended Bolt release.. When I first bought this MK II a month and a half ago...the Trigger was 4.5 lbs...I polished the sear face and hammer engagement area. That went very well...The trigger pull went down to 2.5 lbs...very crisp.. All the talk about the sear from Volquartsen made me wonder if it would bring it down even more. After installing the sear and new sear spring the trigger pull is down to 1.5 lbs..wow it has no over travel. I will see if I can get to the range in the morning to check fire it.....I want to see if there is enough sear engagement...I will just place two round in the mag. and make sure it is not going to be a run a way....

At one time I had two TC Contender pistols and did the trigger jobs on both of them and they both turned out at 1.5 lbs.... don't know what I have with that number but it has worked great for me in the past....hopfully this MK II will turn out just as good or better.... I love making very small holes in paper....

Tom

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Tom if you want to pick that trigger up to around 2 lbs then reinstall the factory trigger plunger spring. It will give you 4 to 6 more ounces on the trigger pull.

R,
Bullseye

Dri-Wash

Post by Dri-Wash » Fri May 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Bullseye, thanks for that tip...I am not sure why it went down to 1.5, I am thinking maybe when I polished the hammer engagement area I kept checking it by using a jeweler lop x30....so I know it is square and not tapered.

Is there a better bushing for the hammer that would insure that the hammer is staying square with the sear?? I did notice that the bushing is not well matched to the bore of hammer housing. If there is a better bushing I would buy it and lap OD to the ID of the hammer bore. This may sound a little annal but I like to try and take out all mechanical influences

If you know of any other ideas for tuning this MK II please let me know, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for the tip again,

Tom,

mopac

Post by mopac » Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 pm

DriWash,

Contact sg552-2 via PM on the Rimfire Central Forum. He is in Canada and has a machinest making up these bushings. They are $10 each. I received mine today-you will flip when you see them. They look exactly like the one's Bulleseye machined for himself many months ago, and have the MK ll's from C. C. beat by a mile.
DW just noticed you have a MKll these bushings are for a MKlll to give it a mag disconnect ability.
I don't know if you can use it in your Mark ll

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Tom,
You can get a Clark Oversized hammer bushing and pin kit (#515 for Mark II) for around $15. It will do all the things your requested. The bushing is .001" oversized and you can polish it down, or freeze it, then press it into the hammer. I had forgotten that you polished the hammer and sear, that could make a difference in the pull weight.

R,
Bullseye

Dri-Wash

Post by Dri-Wash » Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Bullseye. thanks for that info...I will try that and see how it goes....Do you know if the pin is also a machine fit.....??

sorry it I am being a pain....just trying to get the best info for the pro's

Tom

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 pm

The pins are also tight, I don't recall if they're .001" over or if they're .0005".

No trouble at all. If you don't ask questions then you have a need for info that is unfulfilled.

R,
Bullseye

Dri-Wash

Post by Dri-Wash » Thu May 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I installed a Clark Oversized hammer bushing and pin kit (#515 for Mark II) today....I fit very tight. the pin was snug also....There is no side play in the hammer and it stays square with the sear.... Checked the trigger pull and it is 1.2 know...I think I will have to put the factory trigger plunger spring back in....just to bring it back up a little....At 1.2 it is getting a little close to hairy.....

Bullseye thanks for the help. I fell like I am on the way to having a fine tuned trigger job.

Will shoot it this weekend and see how it does... At 1.2 it may be a run away but I will see...if it is I will change to the factory trigger plunger spring.

Tom

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Sat May 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Most of the Rugers I have done lately with the Volquartsen Custom Target Sear have also ended up at 1 1/2 pounds. But then I too polished the hammer slightly.

Larry