What's your favorite .22 pistol?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Mine would be my SS MKIII 6 7/8" that I picked up a couple of months ago. Since then I have added the Clark bushing, VQ Exact Extractor, removed the mag safety, and polished the hammer and sear. The scope is a Bushnell 2x, not sure I like it. It does not quite give me enough eye relief for my long arms.

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Here is an idea, you could remove the front mount and add it with the back mount and that would give you more room on your base.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 pm

I only use the scope if I'm going to be shooting past 15 yrds, or hunting for the furry tail rats. My aging eyes need helps past that mark. I like the fact that I can remove the scope and does not change the sighting when I put it back on. I currently have the smallest red insert in the front site. I don't really see any of the open sights clearly. Shooting combat guns I've learned to just use the front site, which I can hold 2" groups at 15 yrds. I can do this with my Sig 229-9mm DA/SA shooting DA only. The 3 flier were me, I knew when I did them, shots 5, 7, and 10 on 10 shots. I had someone shooting a 357sig next to me at time, indoor range. It was a little distracting.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Favorite .@@ pistol

Post by teejay » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:59 pm

I've owned many over the years and all had their good points. I've had all the MK's of Ruger, except a REAL MKI. Two Woodsman, 6" and 1st year 4 1/2" sport, a Walther PPK/s in .22 (SWEET) and a S&W mod.18. A few years back, I sold off a bunch of pistols and rifles for health reasons. The one I kept was a '53 4 3/4 Ruger Automatic Pistol. Something about the simplicity and the look and feel of an old war bring back that made me hold on to that one. Had an old Lawrence holster just as old. It had holster wear and certainly was no safe queen. Somewhere along the line, it picked up the old walnut grips with the black eagle on the safety side. I have others again, but I wouldn't part with that old performer for anything. Gotta say THAT'S my favorite .22 pistol. TJ

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:01 pm

I posted above, naming my Mark III, and Single-Six. I had a Mark I, and an identical stainless Single-Six (except they used walnut for the grips back then (early 80's).

Of all the rimfire handguns of back then, the one that was most fun was a Harrington & Richardson Model 904. I think it was 904, anyway. Nine shot revolver, electroless nickel, and a 4 inch bull barrel. Was about $60 new, I think. The trigger pulls started out at what seemed like 50 and 75 pounds! I clipped a few coils (one at a time) untill it seemed decent, and it turned out pretty nice. It would shoot three inch groups at 50 feet, and CCI was about $2 for a hundred rounds. The good old days.................

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 am

Bullseye, I do have a question on your Standard/Mark I bolt holder-open thingy. How does the button on the side of the magazine come out? I would rather have the knowledge up front than destroy one of my two magazines trying to figure it out. Is there a particular length on the right angle cut out at the bottom of the extended length. You didn't mention any value there other than it appears to be maybe a 1/4 inch in relation to the rest of the drawing. Thanks for the help. You can e-mail me if you want, but there may be others who are holding back with the same lack of knowledge as me. TB
:?
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 am

Bullseye, never mind. Got to looking and it was obvious. Thanks, TB

BTW, I had a High Standard 9 shot revolver back in the 1959 or 1960. That was a real shooter. Wish I had never had it stolen. I believe my favorite pistol right now is my Browning Challenger II. It just seems to fit my hand better, feel better, and gives me better targets with iron sights than any of my others (Medalist, Buckmark, Ruger standard, Ruger SS). TB :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am

You just have to push the follower down into the magazine with a tool from the top of the mag body until the follower button aligns with the hole in the follower button slot. Once aligned, the button slides out of the mag body. Just be careful not to let up on the pressure of the follower with the tool or the spring will shoot out of the mag. :shock:

R,
Bullseye

31 Ford

Post by 31 Ford » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Favorite? Easy!!!!!!! Gotta Ruger/Couple ofSmiths/Beratta....like 'em all.
But favorite?....Hands down...Browning Buckmark Contour 7.25". Trigger,accuracy,feel,looks,operation....it's awesome. Finest handgun I've ever owned. :hiya:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:14 pm

My favorite 22 handgun is the same gun I curse often because of it's finicky ammo preferences, and that is......my Sig Mosquito. The reason I like it is because it feels like a centerfire handgun without the recoil, and expense.
Haka