My new LCR .22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Looks like mine will be a while yet.

Ruger got mine the 13th, but weren't sure they had it until the 15th.

They called on the 24th, had determined it wasn't repairable, and had "ordered" (?) a replacement on the 23rd. From where? Down the hall? Was told I would get it within two weeks.

Tomorrow makes two weeks, so I called out of curiosity. Was told they showed nothing new, and I would probably get it next week, unless the production cycle made it later. She didn't know about that. I think she should have, instead of guessing?

Ruger CS is sure not what it used to be........... :cry:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Not what I wanted to hear. Mine went back in today.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am

Jack D wrote:Not what I wanted to hear. Mine went back in today.
Best of luck to you. I see you on RF, too, so you've seen there that the average turnaround now seems to be three weeks.

Main thing is that it's right this time. We've all worked too hard for every gun dollar we spend, to settle for less.

Come Tuesday mine will have been gone a month. If it's not right, they may hear their first thermonuclear customer........... :shock:
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

ruger22 wrote:
Jack D wrote:Not what I wanted to hear. Mine went back in today.
Best of luck to you. I see you on RF, too, so you've seen there that the average turnaround now seems to be three weeks.

Main thing is that it's right this time. We've all worked too hard for every gun dollar we spend, to settle for less.

Come Tuesday mine will have been gone a month. If it's not right, they may hear their first thermonuclear customer........... :shock:
It was a full month last time it went back. They've had it more than I have. In the meantime, I have another new toy to play with. I upgraded my old Garmin eTrex Legend handheld to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It comes in tomorrow along with new Topo maps. That should keep me occupied until the LCR comes back.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Are you forgetting how to get to the range or your way home :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Are you forgetting how to get to the range or your way home :wink:
:lol: Had an incident last week. Was out canoeing on Waldo Lake (a huge lake in Oregon) and broke a paddle fighting the wind to get back to camp. Shipwrecked on the rocks. Hiked back to camp to get another paddle and then hiked back to recover the canoe. Couldn't find the darn thing. Searched for almost an hour, but could not see it from the shore. Knowing we were close, we went down to the shore and climbed over the boulders aong the shore until we found it. I did not have my GPS when we left the canoe, but brought it with me on the return hike. The old GPS kept losing the sattelites in the tall timber and it also crashed a couple of times, requiring me to disconnect the batteries to reboot it...not unlike my computer when it crashes. Our hike through the woods was 2.5 mile each way and I was wearing my slippers for the hike back to camp, then boots for the hike to retrieve the canoe. I'm 72 and wife is a bit less, but close :wink: so it was a strenuous ordeal for us. And Waldo is at the 5500 foot level.

We made it, but the GPS was in need of upgrading to one that can take bearings and is more sensitive in tall timber. There was a place along the shoreline where we could see the canoe about a mile away. If our GPS was capable of taking bearings, we could have taken a bearing and marked a waypoint at the line of the bearing where it met the shorline. Then hiked directly to the canoe.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am

long walk even for the kiddies. Sounds like quite an adventure.

I sorta had the problem of Ruger having my LC9 longer than I did a while back. The second time was the charm. They listened to m complaint/comments on the second return. Sounds like your LCR is getting the same type of multiple fixes. I'm confident Ruger will eventually get it right. Just frustrating while they do.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Jack D wrote:
blue68f100 wrote:Are you forgetting how to get to the range or your way home :wink:
:lol: Had an incident last week. Was out canoeing on Waldo Lake (a huge lake in Oregon) and broke a paddle fighting the wind to get back to camp. Shipwrecked on the rocks. Hiked back to camp to get another paddle and then hiked back to recover the canoe. Couldn't find the darn thing. Searched for almost an hour, but could not see it from the shore. Knowing we were close, we went down to the shore and climbed over the boulders aong the shore until we found it. I did not have my GPS when we left the canoe, but brought it with me on the return hike. The old GPS kept losing the sattelites in the tall timber and it also crashed a couple of times, requiring me to disconnect the batteries to reboot it...not unlike my computer when it crashes. Our hike through the woods was 2.5 mile each way and I was wearing my slippers for the hike back to camp, then boots for the hike to retrieve the canoe. I'm 72 and wife is a bit less, but close :wink: so it was a strenuous ordeal for us. And Waldo is at the 5500 foot level.

We made it, but the GPS was in need of upgrading to one that can take bearings and is more sensitive in tall timber. There was a place along the shoreline where we could see the canoe about a mile away. If our GPS was capable of taking bearings, we could have taken a bearing and marked a waypoint at the line of the bearing where it met the shorline. Then hiked directly to the canoe.
Jack,

I use one when I'm out fishing, it's a Megellan 315 (10+ yrs old) that has most all of my fishing holes marked. The are very useful when traveling at night when you can't see the shore line. They do have a usefulness in them when out in the woods. But they can get you to step off a cliff if your not careful. I have the mounting bracket to run off of the boat battery and not the 2 AA it takes. If you use the Lithum AA batteries you will get close to 10x the run time over Alcaline batteries. I never did buy the software packages for the roads or lakes. At the time I looked they did not cover the lakes I fished. The last time out mine picked up 9 satellites in open water. I don't know if the government has allowed them to be more accurate than the 12'. As we all known they can thread a needle using the Mil spec gps.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow, I'd be quite disappointed with that LCR. All companies have gutted the workforce to try to make wall street look good, and reducing QA workers is part of the problem. Curious if this is a design flaw or weak materials? Looks like both.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

I am pretty disappointed in that first LCR-22, and with Ruger letting their standards slip. Not that long ago, far fewer Rugers got out the door with defects, and Ruger usually resolved the issue inside of two weeks, not a month or more.

I saw on another forum that a member just got a replacement .38 model LCR with a black finish cylinder, instead of gray. The .38 and .22 models have the same stainless in the cylinders, so I assume Ruger changed the coating to resolve issues with that. Jack and I will likely get LCR-22s with black cylinders.

I'm reserving further judgement until I have my new LCR, which should be in my hands by Friday, and see how fast they refund the FFL fee.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:49 pm

ruger22 wrote:I am pretty disappointed in that first LCR-22, and with Ruger letting their standards slip. Not that long ago, far fewer Rugers got out the door with defects, and Ruger usually resolved the issue inside of two weeks, not a month or more.

I saw on another forum that a member just got a replacement .38 model LCR with a black finish cylinder, instead of gray. The .38 and .22 models have the same stainless in the cylinders, so I assume Ruger changed the coating to resolve issues with that. Jack and I will likely get LCR-22s with black cylinders.

I'm reserving further judgement until I have my new LCR, which should be in my hands by Friday, and see how fast they refund the FFL fee.
I'm anxous to see what your new one looks like.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Jack D wrote:
I'm anxous to see what your new one looks like.
Me too!

I saw a new LCR-38 at Gander Mountain over the weekend, with a black cylinder. Looked good, the black was dull compared to the slightly glossy frame, so I'll think they're not the same coating.

I checked Ruger's website to see if they had changed the photos, but they still show the gray finish cylinder, still mention the "Target Grey" coating on it. May be that will have to be changed to "Target Black"?
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Hakaman wrote:Wow, I'd be quite disappointed with that LCR. All companies have gutted the workforce to try to make wall street look good, and reducing QA workers is part of the problem. Curious if this is a design flaw or weak materials? Looks like both.
It seems Ruger has changed the finish on the cylinders of their newer LCR's. It was called "Target Grey" and now it is called "Ionbond Diamondblack". I can only think the reason for the change is, like mine, the "Target Grey" finish was coming off. Hopefully, the new finish will be more durable.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:43 pm

My "Ionbond Diamondblack" (what a term....) was free of any harm from shooting, just dirty. The cylinder face, though, I could tell my brass brush was wearing the finish. I'm guessing the next cleaning will leave the face a bare stainless.

The frame finish is little better than spray paint. This gun is not going to stay pretty if it's shot.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Went to town this AM and, wouldn't you know, UPS tried to deliver my LCR. If only I had been informed that it was shipped, I could have been here to receive it.

Just two weeks this time. I shipped it back to them just two weeks ago tomorrow. Fantastic!!
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser