Irregular looking extractor plunger face? (22/45)

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Irregular looking extractor plunger face? (22/45)

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun May 02, 2010 3:03 pm

While searching for clues today in pursuit of some continuing misfires with the Mark II era 22/45, I've taken out the Exact Edge Extractor. Pretty gunky in there, but I've also noticed the extractor plunger looks odd.

Its forward part is a half semi-circle. What's odd looking is on the forward tip of this semi-circle, it's not flat where it comes into contact with the Exact Edge Extractor. I installed this 3-4 years ago and don't recall what it looked like then.

The top of this hemisphere or semicircle at the tip, has a bit of metal raised up above the diameter of the semicircle itself. The diameter of the plunger just behind this raised portion (on the semi-circular portion) is .069 inch. Right at the end of the same portion, where the dimple like raised metal is, the diameter is .090 inch.

There are two other dimples in the face of this front part of the plunger, at the bottom of the semi-circle at each corner. These, however, do not take the front face out of round like the top dimple does. They both protrude forward slightly.

In addition, the bottom front of the semi circle has uneven slanting angles running back from the face of the plunger.

All this looks like wear of some kind because none of these varying facets appears to be machined.

Obviously, I don't know what I'm looking at. If I could post a pic, it would be easy for someone to tell me whether this is wear on the extractor plunger facing, or whether it's supposed to be there by design.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there a picture somewhere of what the face of the extractor plunger is supposed to look like?

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Have you looked in your other Ruger?

When in doubt I always just compare internals, an advantage to having identical guns!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 02, 2010 3:35 pm

It should look like this:

There's a flat on the extractor side. If your extractor has a small round pin pushing it then it is possible that the plunger may have been installed upside down. That definitely would cause extractor issues.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun May 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Pretty soon I'm gonna be asking someone here where the keys to my truck are ! Half my other 22/45's in another state, but I forgot that the top half and bolt are here.

The slant at the bottom edge of the hemisphere is by design as your picture, Bullseye, shows - as does the extractor plunger from my other 22/45. The top dimple bringing the OA diameter there to 0.090 inches looks like damage, probably from misalignment. For the time being I've switched the extractor plunger from the other 22/45 to the practice gun. I hope the increasing misfires will be reduced to bad ammo, but I won't have a chance to test the gun out until mid week.

The extractor has never failed when the gun is fired, but it often won't extract a loaded cartridge that hasn't gone off no matter how many times I work the slide. No use digging too much until I see what condition the gun is in out in the desert.

I'll call Ruger tomorrow and order another extractor plunger.

That should give me a chance to order other parts for my gun that might fail during a competition season and might best be had on hand. What Mark II 22/45 parts are most likely to be needed that should be in a small inventory standing by?

And thanks for setting me straight on another one !