Can someone help guide me to DIY Action Work on a 22/45?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Watching carefully with the top off, I'm noticing two things just now. The first is that when I pass through the first area of the trigger pull where I've learned to expect the early glitch - and put just a little pressure on top of the back of the disconnector, there isn't any glitch or hesitation. And the plunger goes through its whole range smoothly. The trigger does not release with this pressure on top of the disconnector even if I try to pull through.

If I don't put this slight finger pressure on top of the disconnector and slowly go through the area of the expected glitch (but not through to trigger release), the glitch is there again - and it coincides exactly with the sear moving slightly away from the line inscribed atop the sear where the hammer rested. This feel then is under pressure of the mainspring and involves the sear itself having two stages to release - the first when it jumps off the inscribed line and then acts as though it meets a hump and stops, and then with greater pressure goes on to a fairly clean release. Does this seem possible to you?

I can watch this happen looking down on the sear. The separation between the sear and hammer moves the hammer hook about half way off the line on the sear toward the breaking edge, where it sticks and requires more force for hammer release. Every time at this midway point, I can move the hammer back a bare smidgen with about an ounce and a half of pressure and see the sear-hammer return (jump) back to its position at the line on the sear.

This is a VQ sear. Maybe I can find the original sear that came with the gun and put it in. If I don't get this two stage effect, wouldn't that mean the glitch is in the sear?

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Found the old sear and installed it. There's no glitch prior to release with the old sear in the gun. About a 4-5 lb trigger with a slightly mushy let off with the original Ruger sear, but no two stage phenomenon at all.

When I run my finger nail over the area of the after market sear in the same direction from where the hammer rests and then moves off the breaking edge, I can feel significant uplifted edges, my finger nail actually 'catches', in the two areas where the red Dykem showed the hammer - sear engagement was zero or partial in that dufus diagram I put in an earlier post. In areas that I'd marked 'G' for Good contact, my finger nail rolls off the edge.

Does this series of observations sound like I need to have the sear's edge reworked? If so, I certainly won't attempt it myself, and hope that VQ will be able to follow through. I've always liked the VQ folks and thought they were something special the way they've been able to respond to shooters issues. I hope they are still there.

The gun has always acted like this with the VQ sear in it, but I liked the lighter release and so kept it in. Not very smart.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Sounds all most like you have a defective VQ Sear. Give VQ a call they will make it good.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 am

It does sound like you've got a flaw in the sear face based on your description. You should not be able to detect any ridges with your finger nail, the sear face should be one smooth surface. Clearly when you've substituted the sear the problem is gone, proving that you have located the culprit. A reworked sear or a new one is in order.

R,
Bullseye

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

I think I'll try to contact VQ to have them re-work the surface and edge of their sear. It's really embarrassing to admit to myself that I've put a faulty sear in a gun and left it so long. Being my practice gun, and thinking that the double hitch had something to do with some other part matching the sear, I just let it go. But the final let off is fairly nice and if the earlier hitch wasn't there, I think I would've gotten my money's worth. That's why I hope they'll rework the edge on this one.

If they won't, do I want to buy another sear from them now that they're apparently having trouble with their manufacturing processes? More or less a rhetorical question. When I bought this from RimFire Custom, it never occurred to me that it could be faulty. I've Exact Edge Extractors in both my guns and they completely eliminated a few FTF, FTE that I had early on. Also have a Compensator from VQ for my competition gun. I once called them to get info from them about the latter and they were very helpful. In any case I'd rather use the original mushy sear than go through two different trigger feels each shot as I've been doing. Hope VQ isn't too overwhelmed with other problems to make this sear right. We'll see if they're up to it. Like Ruger Customer Service recently, I'd expect VQ to want to make things right, but they may be overwhelmed.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Nic was quick to reply to my e-mail saying they are sending me another sear. I'm very much looking forward to finding out what a good VQ sear can do.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm

They're a stand up group and will support their products 100%. That is one thing that I like about VQ. You don't find that in too many places now days.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:31 pm

I emailed Nic Volquartzen today about the trouble I had with the tall sear & the safety not going fully to safe..
He asked for my address & is sending a replacement to me..
Their great people to deal with for sure..

Nothing but praise for their products & customer service..
Gary

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:55 pm

The other side of the VQ equation is I've bought 6 sears and none have had problems. Maybe I ought to buy another Ruger so I can buy another sear and maybe get a bad one so I can experience the great customer service. :lol:

I've read more reports about bad sears lately. Is this a recent manufacturing oops? I've been recommending the VQ sear and trigger upgrades regularly for several years. I haven't heard any complaints, except on the net.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 am

They've had some quality issues over the last few years.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:54 am

greener wrote:The other side of the VQ equation is I've bought 6 sears and none have had problems. Maybe I ought to buy another Ruger so I can buy another sear and maybe get a bad one so I can experience the great customer service. :lol:

I've read more reports about bad sears lately. Is this a recent manufacturing oops? I've been recommending the VQ sear and trigger upgrades regularly for several years. I haven't heard any complaints, except on the net.
IU bought three of them years ago and had no problems either, maybe I should do the same? :shock:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

It says something positive about a company when real aficionados they serve aren't too upset when a relatively few flaws appear and then are handled the way VQ handles them. I feel no less positive for this incident - just like an idiot for not paying attention myself. I only had one sear that I should've been more aware of. They have hundreds or more.

I bought the sear not too long after getting the gun in 2005. So it was that year or sometime in 2006 that I got the sear from RimFire Sport and Custom and put it in the gun. Then, I didn't shoot much in 2007 - 08.

I'm hoping by Monday, I'll get a good VQ sear and start to see how much it will help me shoot.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I think the keys are "relatively few" and they handle them well. I'm very satisfied with the VQ components I've added and from what I can read if someone thinks they have a problem, VQ is quick to respond. What more could you ask.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun May 02, 2010 12:09 am

Nic Volquartsen, good to his word, must've sent the sear my way soon after he received an e-mail because it came today.

This limping Comp Target 22/45 of mine, got another gift as if for an early Christmas today, in the form of the oversize sear pin and hammer bushing from Clark Custom (their #517 kit for the 22/45) that I ordered early in the week.

I'd sort of wanted to test the sear first, then the bushing and sear pin, but not sure what order I'll do it, or whether I'll put it together all at once, as it's likely to remain for a good long while. I hope I have the discipline to fix my rear sight first. Expect I will.

It's really good for shooters that there are companies and people like this involved in our sport.

Went hiking today and too tired to do much. Looked at and handled the VQ sear and it appears to be very finely finished. It passed the fingernail test with perfect ease. Hope to be reporting the same good results that others have told about, in a few days.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 02, 2010 8:19 am

The Volquartsen's are first rate people. The issues they've had recently with sears are not their fault but the parts suppliers are letting them down. They've always taken care of their customers first. I've got nothing but respect for them and they way they do business.

R,
Bullseye