new MKIII seats only with force

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 pm

JLB wrote:This may be a premature question.

I have a new Mark lll and was looking at the extractor pin, in relationship to the magazine lips. The pin is touching the lips on both magazines. I have not had a chance to get to the range yet. It is unfired at this time.

Both magazines seat the same, bolt open or closed. When they "click" in there is no movement up/down.

Guess I need to get to the range and see what happens.

Jim
I would take a small file with you to the range so if they need an adjustment you can do it and test your work. It down not take much but some clearance is needed. Bullseye photo show ~1/16". Which is the about of up and down motion you will end up with. Make sure you keep the notch square up.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

JLB

Post by JLB » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

OK, range report,

My mags, both have basically no clearance from the ejector pin to the mag lips. They go in the same, bolt closed or open. You really almost feel you have to push the mag release in to get the mag in, it is such a binding feeling, like the mag release is stopping the mag insertion.

First, the cartridges, when loaded into the magazines, seem to be located by the rim part of the cartridges. The front end of the top cartridge seem to float up and down in the magazine.

Second, about 1/2 the time the first round will not chamber. You have to "dink" (Oklahoma term) with it to get the first round in the chamber. The rest of the mag load is fine. All feed and extract properly.

Third, this thing is accurate. Using Winchester, Xpert HV, a MatchDot, at 25 yds, was able to get 10 out of 10 into a 1" circle after getting the Dot sighted in.

Fourth, I am really happy. Just have to get this mag feed thing sorted out. Plus, the wife, who is not a shooter, was able to get a 2.5" pattern on the 3rd try.

Fifth, Gosh I like this gun.......

Jim
Ruger Mark lll, Competition, MatchDot. Remember, you can't fix STUPID, but you can vote it out...

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Good to hear that you had a fairly good trip, with only a minor hick-up.

Get in the habit of inserting the mags with the bolt open. Make sure the bullet nose is up, helps on the feeding. Then pull back the bolt and release. You should be good to go.

If the mags are contacting the ejector, you need to give it some clearance. This will also make it easier to insert the magazine.

And yes, These guns are a blast to shoot :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

quickslider

Post by quickslider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

It makes me wonder when even on Ruger's web site they state that the mags are not interchangeable between the Mark 1,2,3.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 pm

quickslider wrote:It makes me wonder when even on Ruger's web site they state that the mags are not interchangeable between the Mark 1,2,3.
Totally different magazine latches

quickslider

Post by quickslider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Dave

I understans that but earlier in this topic I thought it was stated there was no difference. I know there is. Thanks for the comment

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:55 pm

quickslider wrote:It makes me wonder when even on Ruger's web site they state that the mags are not interchangeable between the Mark 1,2,3.
Ruger is motivated to say that because they can sell more magazines that way.

There is very little difference between the various model magazine bodies. The Mark III versions have the upper window on the left, upper side. They also have a right side locking window (bump) in exactly the same position as any 22/45 magazine.

The difference between the Mark II and Mark III magazines are just the windows, the metal bodies are exactly the same size and dimensions as all earlier versions. The same goes for the differences between the 22/45 and the regular Mark magazines, the metal bodies are the same dimensions, here the main difference is the plastic bottom block.

Difficulty using any version magazine is in the bottom of the grip frame. There is a small semi-circular cut out near the front of the grip. If this area is too small the newer mags will drag and hang-up on the cut-out. Making the cut-out a little wider solves that problem.

The Mark II frame on the left has had the semi-circular notch widened to accept Mark III or 22/45 style magazines.

A heel latch will lock any version of standard magazine in place. Here's a Mark III pistol with a regular Mark II heel latch installed, and using a Mark I (fixed bottom) magazine.

How's that for one thorough the generations? :D

I use regular Mark II (22/45) magazines interchangeably in my 22/45 Mark II and Mark III pistols. I do the same with these mags and just change the bottom blocks for the metal framed versions. I say there's few differences between these magazines but folks can believe what ever they want.

R,
Bullseye