Trivia Questions ~

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

pipestone

Trivia Questions ~

Post by pipestone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm

*Just what causes duds in rim fires?

*If you get a squib what method do you use; push it out from the breech end?

*What size bullseye circle does one use on a target at different footage w/ open sights, using small bores?

*Lastly, what footage for sight in.

Thanks, pipestone (getting older, the thinker is slipping just a tad)
I'm also not the best PC operator, wife helps alot
Jesus Is Lord

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:13 am

22 rimfire duds can be caused by the pistol's firing pin not striking the rim firmly enough, or the cartridge rim does not have a uniform spread of priming compound.

From the breech end you have to remove the bolt and then I use a metal cleaning rod with a blunt end to drive out the squib bullet. With larger calibers than 22, I use a hardwood dowel to drive out the squib from the muzzle end.

Bullseye circle sizes vary based on distance. Here is a good explanation of the sizes http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/rings.html The idea is to have a aiming black optically the same from any of the distances. What is different is the size of the scoring rings. One would see basically the same size black ball from 50 feet as one would out at 50 yards.

Sighting in is best done at the same distance you expect to shoot most often. Frequently I see people using a rest to align in their sights. These same people get frustrated when they aim with their arms extended and the bullet impacts are off from the resting position. They will be because the eye's reference point to the sights has changed from up close to arms extended.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

pipestone

Post by pipestone » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Bullseye

pipestone
Jesus Is Lord