Got the habit bad.

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Got the habit bad.

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 am

I am getting as bad as Greener at a gun show or a tackle shop. Went to the range the other day and the owner told me about the deal he got buying some guns off an older lady whose husband had passed some time back. Seem her grand children found the and were playing with them and she just wanted them out of the house, and she wanted to give them to him but he insisted on paying something at least, she said , give me a $100.00. He said that was not enough and insisted on $200.00. Where am I when these things happen? Well one of them was a Ruger 10/22 that he was willing to sell me for #$75.00, it has a pre warning barrel and according to the serial number is a 1965, the 2nd year of manufacture. Well, I really do not need one but, it needed a home so now it has one.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:58 am

congratulations, 'OldMan'...
at least you have FRIENDS that will 'let you in on a deal'...
all I get to do is READ about these deals :cry:

let us know how it performs...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:02 pm

toyfj40 wrote:congratulations, 'OldMan'...
at least you have FRIENDS that will 'let you in on a deal'...
all I get to do is READ about these deals :cry:

let us know how it performs...
Shoots good, I shot a couple of mags in it at the range Saturday before I told him I would take it. Not bad for a 42 year old gun and a damn near 75 year old man using the iron sights on it. Man them Ruger front sights are a small bead. He cut me in because I am a Premier member and I usually get thee once a week and we have become good friends along with his son and son in law that help him out. Hey them range pictures of that hill country looks pretty desolate.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:02 pm

bearandoldman wrote:them range pictures of that hill country looks pretty desolate.
aww... you're just jealous... :P
the "Twin Peaks" in the view are just a tad over 6000' at their summit.

greener

Re: Got the habit bad.

Post by greener » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:57 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I am getting as bad as Greener at a gun show or a tackle shop.
Haven't looked in this area for a while. I'll have you know I've passed by lots of gun and tackle shops and kept right on going. Helps a lot when they are closed. I was in a gun shop a week ago and didn't buy anything...they were very busy. Haven't bought anything fishing or gun-related in a long time if you don't count the reloading press I bought last Saturday. And I won't do anything gun related before Friday. And the gun show doesn't start until Saturday at 9AM. I'm proud of my new-found moral fiber.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:20 am

Sounds like your a great model of firearms related abstinence. If you don't consider that you posted this at 10 PM on Thursday evening and Friday is just a wake-up away. :wink:

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:09 am

I did spend part of the evening with not doing something related to firearms. I was reviewing insurance plans and trying to decide if I wanted to give Tricare a try. Trying to decipher that stuff will drive one to intemperate words, strong drink and thoughts of destructive devices.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:46 am

I can see how this hobby can get adicting in a hury. I've been getting a lot of shooting catalogs lately and drooling of the stuff they have listed.....

bearandoldman

Re: Got the habit bad.

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:I am getting as bad as Greener at a gun show or a tackle shop.
Haven't looked in this area for a while. I'll have you know I've passed by lots of gun and tackle shops and kept right on going. Helps a lot when they are closed. I was in a gun shop a week ago and didn't buy anything...they were very busy. Haven't bought anything fishing or gun-related in a long time if you don't count the reloading press I bought last Saturday. And I won't do anything gun related before Friday. And the gun show doesn't start until Saturday at 9AM. I'm proud of my new-found moral fiber.
Rob, it sure helps when they are closed. I don't stop at that many but the same one every week or two, owner and I have been friends since we were in our low 20's. He is now 71 and 75 for me mid December. Well, I could use a secondary carry gun, and they had this Kel Tec P3_AT .380ACP used. The price was 250 but Kennie said let me check the Lennie price, the Lennie price is 200 plus tax, well it has a new home now. Sweet young thing at the police station when I got it registered, said that is a cute little gun, told her that it was sitting in the case at the shop looking forlorn and in need of a home, and she thought I was a kind old man to give it a welcome home.
It sure is easier to say NO, when the doors are locked.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:57 am

greener wrote:I did spend part of the evening with not doing something related to firearms. I was reviewing insurance plans and trying to decide if I wanted to give Tricare a try. Trying to decipher that stuff will drive one to intemperate words, strong drink and thoughts of destructive devices.
Agreed, but you've got to fill out a Form 1 first, send it to the ATF and wait 3 months for an answer! By then, Greener, at your age, you'll have forgotten why you wanted it! :lol:
Oh no, wait a minute; it's B&OM that's that age! :wink:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:57 am

Blindpig wrote:
greener wrote:I did spend part of the evening with not doing something related to firearms. I was reviewing insurance plans and trying to decide if I wanted to give Tricare a try. Trying to decipher that stuff will drive one to intemperate words, strong drink and thoughts of destructive devices.
Agreed, but you've got to fill out a Form 1 first, send it to the ATF and wait 3 months for an answer! By then, Greener, at your age, you'll have forgotten why you wanted it! :lol:
Watch your mount youngster or this old man will have to come see you and slap you up a bit and teach you some manners and if you beat me so what? How are you going to brag that you beat up on an old man and if you don't???

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:05 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Blindpig wrote:
Watch your mount youngster or this old man will have to come see you and slap you up a bit and teach you some manners and if you beat me so what? How are you going to brag that you beat up on an old man and if you don't???
My apologies, Len. Let me see though, I forgot what I was going to apologize for!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:11 pm

Blindpig wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Blindpig wrote: Agreed, but you've got to fill out a Form 1 first, send it to the ATF and wait 3 months for an answer! By then, Greener, at your age, you'll have forgotten why you wanted it! :lol:
My apologies, Len. Let me see though, I forgot what I was going to apologize for!
Hey, remember senility us not exclusive to us old guys you know? or wht was I talking about Bear? lets go to the range and let the old man play.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Blindpig, is it true that you can really find an acorn once in a while?

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:58 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Blindpig wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: Watch your mount youngster or this old man will have to come see you and slap you up a bit and teach you some manners and if you beat me so what? How are you going to brag that you beat up on an old man and if you don't???
Hey, remember senility us not exclusive to us old guys you know? or wht was I talking about Bear? lets go to the range and let the old man play.
Len, it's nice to know that you would make the sacrifice to give a lonely pistol a good home. Not everyone would do that.

Compared to Len's exalted age, I am a mere whippersnapper, still damp behind the ears. Some minor drying due to less foliage above them.

BP you are right about remembering why you wanted the license. Guess I'll just have to use that nice 2-lb hammer or the aluminum bat. Now, all I have to do is remember where I put them.