Electronic Hearing Protection

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Blindpig » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Hey, guys, I'm thinking about buying some electronic hearing protectors, probably one of the lower priced Peltor models like their Tacticle 6-S. Anybody use electronic protectors? If you do, how do you like them? For my money, the members of this forum always dispense the best advice so this is where I go for opinions!

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:29 pm

Blindpig wrote:Hey, guys, I'm thinking about buying some electronic hearing protectors, probably one of the lower priced Peltor models like their Tacticle 6-S. Anybody use electronic protectors? If you do, how do you like them? For my money, the members of this forum always dispense the best advice so this is where I go for opinions!
Fellow old guy, have been using that model for years, even have an extra pair for standby. They work great for skeet, trap and sporting clays and for most pistol and rifle outdoors. At the indoor range they are all right for riimfire, but for big bore pistols they just allow too much sound, use the Peltor 32db reduction unit for indoors. Was not flinching using them but when I squeezed the trigger ad the gun wnet off I was blinking both eyues, close to a flinch but not quite.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:52 pm

I shoot a lot of high power rifles and big bore pistols, so I wear double hearing protection without electronic amplification. All these years shooting and my hearing is still at or near what it was thirty years ago. My audiograms from then and now look almost identical.

I have a set of electronic muffs but they just seem to let too much noise in for my liking. I wear a set of custom molded rubber ears inside my earmuffs. It makes it difficult to hear the line commands on the high power range, but I can still carry on conversations with my family and friends without saying, "Huh?"

I also spent a considerable amount of time working around jet engines but I always wore the proper personal protection for my hearing.

Hearing loss is cumulative. What doesn't sound like much can add up over time.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

hearing protection

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:28 am

Most of you guys are too young to remember the 60's, a lot of old trap and skeet shooter called any one that wore hearing protection a sissy, well them guys are old today and they may not be sissies but they can not hear very well either. I did wear it then because the nose level was uncomfortable.
The foam ear plugs are all right but a good set of custom molded rubber plugs are the beset. Those custom made in the ear electronics are very good but very expensive.
The electronics do not suppress as much sound as a good set of earmuffs like the best, with about 32db of reduction, they are probably the same as the industrial types just a different color. The electronics are great with shotgun and small bore pistol and rifle, but the sound pressures of big bores and especially under a lean to roof with a concrete floor, like most outdoor ranges or indoor ranges the noise is uncomfortable almost to the point of flinching. I found myself blinking both eyes when the gun went off and then there are the indoor guys shooting a big bore rifle with a muzzle brake.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 am

B&OM, you are sure right about trap and skeet shooting in the 60's. That's when I did most of mine and, like an idiot, I didn't think ear protection was necessary. I'm payinng the price now because my hearing is certainly not what it used to be.
Thanks to you and Bullseye for the advice, I always appriciate it.
I think I'll just keep using my regular muffs since I do most of my shooting at our club which does have a concrete floor and a metal overhang plus a metal bench. Much of my shooting is rimfire and pistol but I also shoot quite a bit of .223 from my AR-15 and that stuff is really loud out of that short barrel!

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:21 pm

I got a pair of $25-30 ones (Caldwell from MidWayUSA) a year ago,
and just quit putting batteries in them...
1. they do not supress as much noise anyway
2. the Voice-pass-thru is not that clear
3. when I would like to talk/listen, someone nearby is popping Hot-AR rounds
I thought maybe I got a cheap pair... a friend with a PelterPair doesn't
mess with the elec-circuit, either... similar reasons...
I use foam-thingies WITH the earmuffs.

How do you make those Ear-Fitted-things ??
tilt your head sideways and use a HotGlue Gun ??
or is that what I see, called: "Ear Candles" ??
:lol: :shock:

Eddie A

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Eddie A » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Blindpig wrote:Hey, guys, I'm thinking about buying some electronic hearing protectors, probably one of the lower priced Peltor models like their Tacticle 6-S.
I have the 6S and use them with the soft plugs that go directly in the ear. Without inserts I still find the big caliber stuff, or the magnum loads a little too loud for my liking. One thing I've been told about the 6S is that they are much quieter than some of the cheaper ones - apparently the cheaper ones have a "hiss" all the time which can be quite disconcerting.

I have bought a pair of the "form-fit" ones that I think Bullseye is describing, but have not formed them for my ears yet. I'll report on those when I do.

Cheers!
Eddie

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:44 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
How do you make those Ear-Fitted-things ??
tilt your head sideways and use a HotGlue Gun ??
or is that what I see, called: "Ear Candles" ??
:lol: :shock:
Sounds like somthing a real Texan would do. Just plug your left eaqr and lay on your leeft side and pour in hot glue until your right ear is full, it shopuld go therought and get to the left one also.
Used to be someone at some of the major trap and skee shoots that do the custome forms, might check with one of your local shotgun club or most audiologists should be able to do it also.

Eddie A

Post by Eddie A » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:55 am

toyfj40 wrote:How do you make those Ear-Fitted-things ?? tilt your head sideways and use a HotGlue Gun ??
They come in a two part mix. You divide each part in two and mix the Part A & B together (one for each ear). You stuff them in your ears while they are still "uncured" so they form-fit (in about 9 minutes), and then they take about another 4 hours (out of your ear) to cure completely. I bought mine at Wallyworld in Sports Department near the gun cleaning supplies. Cabellas sells them as well. :)
Eddie

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Eddie A wrote:
toyfj40 wrote:How do you make those Ear-Fitted-things ?? tilt your head sideways and use a HotGlue Gun ??
They come in a two part mix. You divide each part in two and mix the Part A & B together (one for each ear). You stuff them in your ears while they are still "uncured" so they form-fit (in about 9 minutes), and then they take about another 4 hours (out of your ear) to cure completely. I bought mine at Wallyworld in Sports Department near the gun cleaning supplies. Cabellas sells them as well. :)
Thanks for the info may give them a try, Toy is one of them tough Texas boys and he would probably do it with a hot glue gun and never even make asound.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:09 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Thanks for the info may give them a try, Toy is one of them tough Texas boys and he would probably do it with a hot glue gun and never even make asound.
well, actually, I had the HotGlue gun out on Fri to temp-fix some side-molding...
and was impatient for the glue to heat-up... and burnt the **** outta my
index-finger to learn that it was ready to use... !!
Yep, I made some sound...
So, maybe I better re-think this home-design-ear-plug... :roll:

"Eddie A"; thanks for the HeadsUp on finding the Plug-Kit...
is there a Brand-Name/Price... to read about it OnLine... tnx

I wonder if that is a method of extracting my ear-hairs... hmmm.
Last edited by toyfj40 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:34 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Thanks for the info may give them a try, Toy is one of them tough Texas boys and he would probably do it with a hot glue gun and never even make asound.
well, actually, I had the HotGlue gun out on Fri to temp-fix some side-molding...
and was impatient for the glue to heat-up... and burnt the **** outta my
index-finger to learn that it was ready to use... !!
Yep, I made some sound...
So, maybe I better re-think this home-design-ear-plug... :roll:

"Eddie A"; thanks for the HeadsUp on finding the Plug-Kit...onder if that is a method of extracting my ear-hairs... hmmm.
Was it hot yet? That should take care of ear hairs also.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 am

toyfj40 wrote: I wonder if that is a method of extracting my ear-hairs... hmmm.
Nope. To do that, you'll need to get one of those bikini-wax kits! :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Or, you might be a redneck if you use duct tape for bikini waxing. :shock:

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:04 am

Bullseye wrote:Or, you might be a redneck if you use duct tape for bikini waxing. :shock:

R,
Bullseye
Toy couldn't be a redneck. He told me there were no rednecks in Tay-Haas!