Wanna be an Instructor? Send your boxtops in

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Wanna be an Instructor? Send your boxtops in

Post by greener » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:17 pm

Made my standard weekly trip to the range today. Took a collection including the new M&P 9mm, which I hadn't fired. A group lead by a guy with "Firearms Instructor" arrived about the same time I did. They started happily banging away at 7 yards. Two of the "students" had obviously shot before. One had never fired a handgun. She was having a bit of a problem, not much, with the .40 and .45 recoil, so I did my usual trick of asking if she wanted to practice with one of my .22 pop guns.

The lady shot pretty well for an absolute newby. But she didn't know anything about proper grip, stance, how to load a magazine, what a safety was. We even did a little of "this is how to find your dominant eye." She really like to shoot, did pretty well and started doing even better after a few rounds from a pistol that didn't kick. Got better as time progressed.

Just wonder what it takes to be a "Firearms Instructor" Nice tee shirt and a PD badge? The guy was nice, but he could have spent a bit more time working on a few basics with his class.

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Wanna be an Instructor? Send your boxtops in

Post by John fox » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:59 pm

I've had exactly the same experience several times at my club. I think if I didn't do what you did, some of the shooters would have given up the sport.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:22 pm

I shoot for fun. I have a revolver and now the 9mm that I will keep ready for home defense, but the bad guy coming through the door is not high on my list of things to worry about. If you are instructiing newbies, even if the instruction is for concealed carry and home defense, I just believe you ought to take the time to larn'em enough to make shooting fun. If it isn't fun, they probably will never spend enough time practicing to make the self-defense lessons worth while.

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:19 am

Our range has at least two female instructors and a lot of women who know what the're doing. These instructors take the time to work with new shooters, both male and female, who need coaching and confidence building. There are usually knowlegeable women helping and volunteering in the beginner shooting classes as well as those fulfilling requirements for the CCW
permits.

Because of this the range has a lot of newer women shooters, on both the pin and plate range (Steel with rope reset) and on the pistol range. There is also a ladies night only that is fairly well attended.

Sometimes the guys just don't realize that beginners need extra help. With all the new women shooters, it would be good to lose some of the machismo associated with the shooting sports, and concentrate on just being teachers.

I'm convinced that the women instructors greatly improve the chances of women becoming regular shooters and gun enthusiasts

Ripsaw

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:44 am

Probably something to do with the "role model" and "I've been where you are" thing. Or maybe, they just happen to be good teachers. Takes a lot of effort and talent to get the training across and still make it fun to do.

If shooting weren't fun, I might end up doing something like swatting little white balls around cow pastures.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:11 am

greener wrote: If shooting weren't fun, I might end up doing something like swatting little white balls around cow pastures.
Greener, you want to trust me on this one; never, never fall prey to that addiction! It happened to me about 40 years ago and I've never been able to get rid of it! You end up spending money on things like golf clubs and green fees and other such nonsense which takes away from your funds you could have been spending on important things like guns and ammo! That doesn't even take into consideration the frustration and anquish associated with playing the game. My advice; Just Say No!

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 am

greener wrote:Probably something to do with the "role model" and "I've been where you are" thing. Or maybe, they just happen to be good teachers. Takes a lot of effort and talent to get the training across and still make it fun to do.

If shooting weren't fun, I might end up doing something like swatting little white balls around cow pastures.
Hey my friend, don't do that. If you have to get rid of some money I can send you my address. Golf is very frustrating and I was addicted to it but a lousy golfer. Got to the point it was making me angry but kept on trying anyway. Well, one day came home in a bad mood as usual and Ma asked "I thought you played golf to have fun?" That QA over 20 years ago and I may have played 3 times since, went back to mostly shotguns, skeet and sporting clays and eventually got back into the pistols, and recently bought a .22lr rifle to play with also. This is the only sport where I am competitive and enjoy without getting in a bad mood if I miss now and then.
Don[t take up golf unless you enjoy being frustrated. There are enough balding grey haired fat guys on the course now so they don't nedd us there.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Blindpig and oldman: No need to worry. I've enjoyed playing golf the 5 times I've done it. It's not frustrating at all, since I have no expectations. I lost a ball once because I wasn't accustomed to looking on the fairway for them.

No need to worry. My religion requires I conduct rituals that preclude golf. I must regularly rise early in the morning, suspend myself above the water, mutter incantations and flail the water with weighted colored objects. I even spent part of Saturday making sure that I had new implements in which to practice. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that two tackle shops reduced staff when I started shooting regularly.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:01 pm

greener wrote:Blindpig and oldman: No need to worry. I've enjoyed playing golf the 5 times I've done it. It's not frustrating at all, since I have no expectations. I lost a ball once because I wasn't accustomed to looking on the fairway for them.

No need to worry. My religion requires I conduct rituals that preclude golf. I must regularly rise early in the morning, suspend myself above the water, mutter incantations and flail the water with weighted colored objects. I even spent part of Saturday making sure that I had new implements in which to practice. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that two tackle shops reduced staff when I started shooting regularly.
Greener my friend, We were in Frank's Great Outdoors up in Linwood one day on a road trip,got to see all the gun shops just for kicks. Ma saw their gigantic display of fihing lures nd asked me"Do all those wild colors reqally atrract fish, Told her I am not sure but they sure do suck in the fisherman" Just make sure you keep yourself suspended above the water.
As far as looking ion the fairway for my golf ball, that thought never even crossed my mind. Guy ask, how long does that hole play, tell him according to the score card 440 yard, but the way I do it, it is much closed to 750 yards.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm

You thought they were supposed to catch fish? The owner of one of the tackle shops in KZ I frequented would go through the motions of casting and setting a hook when I came in and he had something new.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:51 am

greener wrote: No need to worry. My religion requires I conduct rituals that preclude golf. I must regularly rise early in the morning, suspend myself above the water, mutter incantations and flail the water with weighted colored objects. I even spent part of Saturday making sure that I had new implements in which to practice. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that two tackle shops reduced staff when I started shooting regularly.
Well, Greener, old buddy, I have to say that you're "hooked" on a worse addiction than golf! Maybe you should look for a good 12 step program to get into! Next thing you'll be telling us is that you drink beer, too!

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I want. I can put it down any time I want. (Usually, after 7-8 hours I put it down). The sign of being hooked is carrying your tackle in the car "just in case." I never carry more than one rod and a couple of lures. If I were addicted I would have noticed that one of the shooting ranges I go too also has a boat launch.

I do not drink beer, I sip it slowly.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:57 pm

greener wrote:I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I want. I can put it down any time I want. (Usually, after 7-8 hours I put it down). The sign of being hooked is carrying your tackle in the car "just in case." I never carry more than one rod and a couple of lures. If I were addicted I would have noticed that one of the shooting ranges I go too also has a boat launch.

Hey there pal, betterto have it andnot need it than need it and not have it.

Drink it slowly and savor it and not so cold that it destroys the tase and the aroma, especially the darer more flavorful ones.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:57 am

greener wrote:I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I want. I can put it down any time I want. (Usually, after 7-8 hours I put it down). The sign of being hooked is carrying your tackle in the car "just in case." I never carry more than one rod and a couple of lures. If I were addicted I would have noticed that one of the shooting ranges I go too also has a boat launch.

It's just so sad when you see someone in denial... :mrgreen:

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:38 pm

I have great sympathy for those in denial. I know if I were in denial, I'd be the first to admit it.