NC Star tacticle red dot problems

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

NC Star tacticle red dot problems

Post by greener » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:34 pm

I bought an NCStar tactical red dot (4 pattern) sight at a gun show a while back for a price so good that I couldn't turn it down. I may have discovered why the price was about 25% of list. The light goes out every now and then. It takes some diddling with the power and/or reticle switches to get it working again. Is this something others have noticed? Any fixes?

The sight is fun to use. You look at the target and the dot appears on the target. You almost don't see the screen, just like it was designed. It seems to be better than looking through a scope-type red dot sight, when it works.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:02 pm

I haven't messed with an NCStar scope but they're all pretty much the same in the way their constructed. The glass or the adjustments may be better on the higher end scopes but the basic assembly is very similar.

Typically if the dots blink out there's a poor connection in the rotary selection knob. I find this with several scope brands, not just the lower end ones. I'll check the contacts for corrosion. Usually I'll rub a clean soft pink pencil eraser on the contacts to clean them. The pink eraser is a mild abrasive and cleans the gold plated contacts very nicely. Then I'll check the rotary wiper contact to ensure there's adequate pressure on the contact pads. Sometimes this will require a little tightening with a jewler's screwdriver or a slight bending of the contact for firmer pressure. Caution- over bending may break the contact; don't over do it!

Try these and see if that doesn't do it for you.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Tried cleaning contacts and had it working like a charm until I went out and used it on the pistol. Something is jarring loose. Back to the work bench or, if I can get them to respond, back to NC star. Like the sight, when it works.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:23 pm

After cleaning and fiddling with the contacts and anythign else I could on the sight, it went to the range. The light stayed on, but the sight didn't stay on the pistol very long. No matter how much adjustment I made, I couldn't get the fall of the rounds to move, nor could I get anything that looked consistent. Took the sight off and shoot much better with open sights.

Either I have a mental block about shooting with this sight, the 22A really doesn't like it or this is not one of NCstar's better efforts.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm wondering if we are having the same problem. I just mounted a BSA 30mm red dot and went to the range today...
At home, I had no problem acquiring the dot, but when I got to the range, I had a terrible time..Even when I could find the dot, it was so washed out it seemed to come and go...
This was my first experience with anything but open sights and after 50 rounds down range, the targets looked like I had use a shot gun. I took the scope off and the next 50 shots were within the 9 ring.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:44 pm

I have a BSA 30mm red dot. On bright days you have to increase the power. Other than that, it's done fine. I really like the openness of the tactical sight, if I could figure out how to get it to work.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:59 pm

It was a bright day and the range faces East although it was near noon... I had the power up to 11 but the dot seemed to disappear when I would get it into the black... It is probably just going to take time to get use to... I won't hit the trash can yet :twisted:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!