shot my first 2700 today

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

shot my first 2700 today

Post by Python » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Well, I finally did it.

.22 = 821-13X
CF = 797-15X
.45 = 807-14X

Total = 2425-42X

I really enjoyed myself and had a lot of fun doing it.
Am going to do it again in 2 weeks.
Oh, by the way, no alibi's(what a relief : ).

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 am

That's great. Your first 2700 is out of the way. Shooting one can make for a long day, depending on how many shooters there are and if there's a bunch of alibi strings. Hopefully you learned a lot from participating in the competition. I hope there's many more to come for you.

R,
Bullseye

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:24 pm

One thing that I did realize(or learn) is that you have more time than you think to shoot rapid fire.

So therefor I am going to bring out the Python for center fire during our practice match once a month and see how I do with that.

I would like to learn to shoot three guns well, but time will tell, and if not I will just use the M41 and the RRA.(the Python can always be the fun gun for practice).

One question that I have is that my 80's 6 inch Python is from the Colt custom shop with Elliason sights and a butter smooth double action.
Can I use this in the DR match as is since it came from the factory this way ?

Clarence;

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:39 am

Sure, you can use your revolver in DR matches as long as it meets the factory issued requriements (IAW rule 3.1.4.). All you have to do is meet the NRA firearm requirements for Conventional and DR Pistol. Here's a link to the rules for a DR pistol http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... st-w03.pdf

Service pistols have much tighter rules constraints when firing the EIC matches as they have to qualify as such under CMP rules.

Most folks don't use a revolver in conventional pistol matches, as you'll have to shoot it one-handed. A revolver's long, double action, trigger travel doesn't usually lend itself toward precision shot placement.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Bullseye wrote: A revolver's long, double action, trigger travel doesn't usually lend itself toward precision shot placement.

R,
Bullseye
No, but I've seen a few who have learned to thumb cock it and fire single action.....even for rapid fire.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 pm

I started out shooting a S&W K-38 and later a Colt Officer Model Match. It never occurred to me to try shooting double action. I actually did quite well . I later modified the hammer spur on the OMM to offset it to the Left making it more accessible to the thumb.
I later progressed to a Colt 38 Super modified by a Smith in Tampa by the name of Giles, to shoot .38 special. I finally came to the conclusion the it was much easier, cheaper and made more sense to just shoot the .45 for both CF and .45.
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!