Loaded Chamber ?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Besides all the Polish baked goodies Mom used to make Potica during the holidays. Poppy seed and crushed walnut fillings were two of my favorites.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Man, you better stop, or there's no way I'll pass my cdl medication test after the CHRISTmas days off.

Thats odd, I typed d-r-u-g, and it came up medication in my post?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I ate poppy seed bakery goods all the time and never had any problems with substance tests.

R,
Bullseye

manic mechanic

Post by manic mechanic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:27 pm

Myth-Busters did a bit on the poppy-seed cakes and tested positive, but they ate ALOT of it.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:22 pm

That might not be a bad thing, the pierogis are always in season!!
Did somebody say "pierogies ? :tongue:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Hakaman wrote:
That might not be a bad thing, the pierogis are always in season!!
Did somebody say "pierogies ? :tongue:
Yes theey did and the golombikis are flying in great flocks
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 pm

I think I'll count pierogies tonight to get to sleep.
H

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:50 am

Hakaman wrote:
The Ruger mkIII LCI is a dud, but at least it is easy to remove if not desired.
Is it legal to remove the LCI?
Well, check local laws to ansure that the LCI is NOT a required device, but I highly doubt it would be, seeing as the mkII remains legal.

But more importantly, YOU are a law-abiding citizen, and YOU are not to be questioned.
Worrying about the contents of your gun-safe being legal implies a regular search by some government agency. Does the ATF make a regular inspection? Do you really need to worry about being hauled off over a little plastic tab? That Ruger is YOUR property, do whatever you want to it!

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 am

My mother always made Kringlas when I was a kid. Not sure of the spelling but I believe they were Norwegian. Always baked them in a figure 8. They were sure good with butter and a cold glass of milk. Grew up in northern Iowa and we were nearly as Norwegian as Minnesoda! VH :oman:
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Technically the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) is a Indicator not a Safety Device. I have had no problems with the LCI as long as I clean it every 1500 rounds. Once it gets dirty it causes stove pipes.

The mag disconnect is a safety device.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

blue68f100 wrote:The mag disconnect is a safety device.
Would you drop a loaded pistol with the mag out and the safety on into a playpen with a few kids, assuming it had a magazine interlock?
How about with the internal lock activated?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Whether it is a safety device or just an indicator is debatable, but it just gets in the way of cleaning. The loaded chamber indicator on the XDm is a bother as well, it hacks up holsters when you draw your gun, (at least that's what I hear anyway)
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:11 am

bigfatdave wrote:
Hakaman wrote: Does the ATF make a regular inspection?.... Do you really need to worry about being hauled off over a little plastic tab?
Not yet. But I'd really welcome them coming in and assisting me with firearm safety. I'm also really glad that the fine folks in California, Massachusetts and New Jersey are worried that I can't remember to clear the weapon each time I handle it or assume it is loaded and convinced the firearms manufacturers to help me. :lol:

The only thing I've noticed about the MKIII LCI is that it seems to be a great place for crud build up. They use the same idea on the SR9 and the LCI sticks out of the top of the pistol. I haven't noticed that it snags in a holster but am amazed that it doesn't.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:30 am

I've shooting for maybe 10 yrs lightly until this past year when I have got more serious. Now I shoot 1-2 times a week, joined a club and started a small collection of hg's/fifles. My point is this, I don't "rely" on the mechanical safeties and indicators like I thought I would. On the Beretta I just sold, I loved the safety/decocker lever on it, but I "never" depended on it to tell me that the gun will not shoot. The LCI on the Mark lll will never give me full confidence that the gun has a round loaded in the chamber or not, like Greener said, it just collects crud. I find all these nick-nacks to actually deter safety. Why? because they confuse people. They also have a tendency, IMO, to replace one of hg's biggest safety rules: "Keep your finger off the trigger" until you can safely shoot the gun. In a pinch/panic, you do not want to think of 5 different things when pulling out your heater, you just want simplicity. Again, I loved the decocker/safety on my beretta, but for the most part, all these "add-on" devices are not much more then "crud collectors".
Hakaman

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:40 am

I treat and handle all guns as if there loaded. I don't trust or believe in things on a gun to tell me whether it's loaded or not. The biggest an most important safety is the one between your ears. The fact that some states believe they can protect someone form getting hurt by these so call improvements is joke. Some mfg just say you can tell by the position of the extractor, which is true but it does not tell you if its actually loaded with a live round. These do not impact the gun function. Guns are not toys as some may believe. There were design for only one thing, to do bodily harm. So no child should be allowed to play with one. But I also believe childern should not be afraid of one either, so gun education is required. As they get older I think all should be exposed to firearms and some shooting fun. Taking the mystery out of something helps curbs kids curosity. So their not likely to go looking for a gun that they know is in the house to explore/examine. Even if they are not secured from their access.

There was a report on the NYPD on firearm discharge that covered 2005(?) that reported the accuracy of their officers 1st shot on the ones that had to draw and shoot. (This was posted on the sig forum a good while back). It was pitiful, only 19% hit the target at a range of <3 yrds. Once it was out to 7 yrs it was below 9%. I would have been embaressed of the results. It should have been a wake up call to that something was wrong. It either showed their officers where terrible trained or all of the restraints they mandated on the holster forced them to shoot before they were ready. It also makes me wonder if one or two officers padded the results. In a city as big as NY a stray shot could be really be bad for bystanders/civilians. When you have management that knows nothing about guns bad things will happen.

enough of my ramping. All of these so called gemics/un-improvements just add cost to a gun. Does nothing to address the real problem, the space between the ears.

It's a proven fact that an armed society is as safe society with a lower crime rate.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911