YES!

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

YES!

Post by Downeaster » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:21 pm

They called me about that Weapons Handler job today. I'd about decided to pass it up cuz the commute was going to be a killer.

When the Regional Manager called me first thing he asked was "Have you thought about that commute?"

I said I had indeed, but was still somewhat interested if there was an eventual possibility of an opening closer to me. (They have the contract for a small facility I can literally see from my kitchen window)

Turns out, one of the Weapons Handlers there is a Reservist, and just submitted his resignation so he can return to Active Duty. I just darn near fell out of my chair when he told me that.

It'll take a couple of days for the "official" opening to appear, but when it does, he'll give me the job number and I can apply for it online. The RM is a retired Army E9 and he prefers to fill positions with vets whenever possible.

He seems to think it's mine if I want it, and I told him I didn't care what shift, what days, holidays, weekends, graveyard, I don't care, I WANT that job!
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:00 pm

A job is a job but that sounds better than the average bear. Congrats, many are jealous.
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:30 pm

I might consider you a man "who has it all". Pretty near. Congratulations on the job.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Sounds like a good deal. Hope it works out.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm

That is good news. I'll also say that having a positive attitude, like you do, goes a long way for the man trying to fill the job requisition. There's plenty of people in government service who've become institutionalized and rigid and that makes filling a job that requires flexibility much harder. Truth be told, the man who fills the job hires vets because they know how to get the job done and not just dither around or complain when something has to be done right away. I know that you'll keep in mind that when you're in a service job everyone is your customer. The folks who need those weapons need them on their time and they need them maintained right - I'm sure that you're up for that!

R,
Bullseye

BobC

Post by BobC » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Congratulations. Great to hear some good news about jobs.

Best wishes in your new career,
BobC
Life Member NRA

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Way to go, downeaster! Couldn't be happier for you. You impressed the first guy, no doubt in my military mind you won't do the same with the next. My military mind is still as sharp as it was 35years ago. Well, maybe just a tad duller. :wink: TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Well, this whole thing has turned into a roller coaster, but at the moment, the job has finally been posted, I have applied, I have gotten the pre-interview email, and I'm working on the SF86 form for the security clearance background investigation.

None of which means it's a lock, but at least it's headed in the right direction.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Downeaster wrote:Well, this whole thing has turned into a roller coaster, but at the moment, the job has finally been posted, I have applied, I have gotten the pre-interview email, and I'm working on the SF86 form for the security clearance background investigation.

None of which means it's a lock, but at least it's headed in the right direction.
Looks like it is moving along. Be careful with the SF86. I learned they had no sense of humor about that.

To the question: have you or any member of your family ever tried to overthrow the US government? I answered "yes, 1861-1865" The Army failed to see the humor in that.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

Well you wouldn't want to lie on the form, it did say, "Ever"! If your really one of the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" then it did happen, just 148 years ago.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:20 am

greener wrote:Looks like it is moving along. Be careful with the SF86. I learned they had no sense of humor about that.

To the question: have you or any member of your family ever tried to overthrow the US government? I answered "yes, 1861-1865" The Army failed to see the humor in that.
I held a TS/SI clearance for over 20 years, I KNOW about the lack of a sense of humor! :shock: :D

The SF86 is a slightly different form than we used back in the day, but it's mostly same-old same-old.

What is this "mobile phone" and "email" stuff? :roll: :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 am

Downeaster wrote:
greener wrote: The SF86 is a slightly different form than we used back in the day, but it's mostly same-old same-old.

You mean I won't have to answer about my membership in the United May Day Committee?

If your really one of the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" then it did happen, just 148 years ago.
If I were going to join, it wouldn't be if but which one I'd go in under. Do you mean the war of Northern Aggression?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:15 am

greener wrote:
Downeaster wrote:
greener wrote: The SF86 is a slightly different form than we used back in the day, but it's mostly same-old same-old.

You mean I won't have to answer about my membership in the United May Day Committee?

If your really one of the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" then it did happen, just 148 years ago.
If I were going to join, it wouldn't be if but which one I'd go in under. Do you mean the war of Northern Aggression?
Sore loser, go shovel snow, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Update: I've officially been offered the local job. The offer is "contingent" on passing a medication test, taking a personality test (checking to see if all my screws are tight...) and qualifying for a security clearance. None of these things will be issues, it'll just take time to re-do the background checks.

So, it looks at this point like I'm in, it's just a question of when I start.

I'll give it a lower case 'yeehah!" at this point, and save the real celebration for the first day of work!

Thanks for all your good thoughts!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Good for you, just hurry up and wait.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.