New (??) Federal Ammo

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

New (??) Federal Ammo

Post by toyfj40 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:34 am

I was browsing MidWayUSA for CCI/Fed 22 ammo
and came across this one... It's not 714 or 711B
and way-too cheap to be a resurection of UM1 or 900...
I suspected it might be a re-issue of the "Auto-Match"
that I have been getting at WMT ($11/325),
but that is about 1200fps...
I guess I'll have to wait and see... FYI...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From MidWayUSA.com:
Federal Premium Gold Medal Target Ammunition
22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 50

Federal engineers spent years developing this "blueprint round,"
which delivers excellent accuracy and enabled
the USA Olympic Team to bring home a gold medal in 1992.
1080 fps muzzle velocity.

Product #: 675253
Manufacturer #: 719 (50)
Our Price: $3.29
Date Expected In-Stock: 8/12/2006
EDIT: 19Aug / MidWay now reports due date: 3Sep2006

EDIT: Federal has info on their WebSite
http://www.FederalCartridge.com/
look for the link "View New 2006 Products"
that is kinda top-center of the screen.
THEN scroll down to the near-bottom,
to view information and ballistics on the
auto-Match and the #719 cartridges...
The ballistics numbers are essentially the same,
so, hopefully, it is some un-documented QA/QC
that makes the difference...
Last edited by toyfj40 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:20 pm

toyfj40,

I've not been to the Federal site, but I bought some of the Auto Match LR Bulk at WalMart yesterday. I've never shot any of this before and since you have I'd like to ask what your opinion of it is.

The product No: is AM22, 40gr solid, 1200 fps like you said.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:36 pm

I have some of this Federal AM22 ammo too. But like Joe, I haven't gotten around to trying it out at the range yet. I went to the Federal Website and checked the ballistics between the AM22 and the #719 and found the specifications were identical. They may even be made on the same production line like CCI does with its Green Tag, Pistol Match, and Standard Velocity.

Who ever gets out and shoots this stuff first post a report on how it performed.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I finally made it to the Federal site and compared the specs. Not only were the specs identicle, but the picture of the cartridge in the upper right corner was too. Not that the pic means anything.

I'm going to try to get to the range this weekend, no guarantee. Whenever I get there I'll post a report on the Auto Match ammo.

Joe

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:28 pm

I went to the range this afternoon, only 102F in the shade :oops:
Using my Marlin 980v Bolt 22" HvyBbl w/Simmons "22Mag" 4x32 Scope.
I shot these two targets with Federal#510 and Federal#AM22.
Targets were set at 25y and 50y, using SandBag-Rests on our
concrete-slab "shooting stations"...

25y target
50y target

At 25y, the 510s (left) had a pretty tight group, for a quick "demo shoot".
The AM22 grouped about the same, with one low-flyer.

At 50y, the 510s (lower) and AM22s (upper) gave similiar patterns.

the WhiteCenter on these targets is 2"-diameter, with 1" wide rings going out.

Opinion: way too soon to tell. I've had the AM22s for a while, but mostly
shoot the 510s. I do notice that my 510s give maybe 1or2% 'squib's
(Is that the right term?? a cartridge that fires, but not fully/properly...)
I am hoping the AM22s will be a bit more consistent/reliable for use
in some of our friendly-range-competition. I've yet to shoot enough AM22
in my Ruger MK2/P512 to notice any improvement/difference handheld...
but again, hoping it may be more "consistent".

All my Federal LRNs look exactly alike. 510s, AM22, 711B, 714
Could it be that they just use QA/QC to determine the product#
for cartridges AFTER they are produced??? ...

ALSO: I took my Henry-Survival for a 25v50v100yd demo,
and used Fed 510 and AM22.
Here's another thread about Federal "Auto-Match"

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:48 pm

I went out to the range today and shot some Federal AM22 and some 714 just to see how they compared. I fired both rimfire cartridge lots and could not see a discernable difference between them. Both performed equally as well, which was slightly better than Winchester Dynapoints. Neither had any failures or misfires out of two different types of rimfire pistols. Both grouped equally as well. I'd say they are on par with each other. I noticed that the Federal Website doesn't list 714 anymore. I wonder if AM22 is the same thing just redesignated with a new number. It sure seemed that way to me out on the range.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:39 pm

:cry: I haven't been able to get to the range to test the AM22 ammo yet. :cry: I hope to tomorrow after a trip to the gun show.

That is; IF I feel better. Got my arms cut and scratched up by some sort of pine shrubs middle of last week and I'm all swollen up with red welts and seeping sores. They're trying to infect and I'm running a feever too.
:( That'll teach me to work on the yard in short sleeve shirts. :roll:
Man do I hate shrubs. :x If this wasn't a rental house I'd wrap a chain around the trunks and yank them out. :twisted:

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles Joe. Take care of yourself and get well soon. You might be alergic to something from those branches. A trip to the doc may be necessary if your condition doesn't improve soon.

Take care.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:42 pm

Bullseye wrote:Federal AM22 and 714. Both performed equally as well.
Both grouped equally as well. I'd say they are on par with each other.
I noticed that the Federal Website doesn't list 714 anymore.
I wonder if AM22 is the same thing just redesignated with a new number.
About a year ago, I emailed Federal to ask for ballistic-info that was
not on their WebPages. Among other responses, they replied that
the 714 and 711B are the "same cartridge".
The Fed-Ballistics-WebInfo shows (714=?)711B as 1080fps and AM22=719=1200fps.
(note MidWay now shows a new due-date for 719 of 3-Sep)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 pm

toyfj40 wrote: About a year ago, I emailed Federal to ask for ballistic-info that was
not on their WebPages. Among other responses, they replied that
the 714 and 711B are the "same cartridge".
The Fed-Ballistics-WebInfo shows (714=?)711B as 1080fps and AM22=719=1200fps.
(note MidWay now shows a new due-date for 719 of 3-Sep)
That's some good to know info. I couldn't tell the difference between the 714 and the AM22 target ammo. I shot them both from a Mark III and a 1911 Marvel conversion; they had identical performance for me. I shot over 200 rounds of each type for a broad sampling. I mixed in some magazines full of Dynapoints when I couldn't feel any difference in the two types of Federal cartridges. I could definitely tell the Win from the Fed. A little more "pop" to the Dynapoints and the groupings spread out a little more.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Bullseye,

I still havent' gotten to the range to test that AM22 Ammo. And I probably won't for some time. Here's the story (copied from a post on Leverguns.com - didn't feel like re-typing it:
NOTE: Joe was born in IL and raised in NM and AZ. Now he's back in his homeland he didn't know squat about the flora and fauna in IL.

Well, I was working in the yard last week. Trimming bushes, chopping out huge weeds and unwanted trees. Pulling out vines and other stuff that just don't belong where they are.
And guess what, it looks like the vines I was yanking out were poison ivy. (Actually the poison ivy was intermixed with another harmless vine, and I just didn't pay attention.)
I had gloves on when I was chopping the pine shrub back, but it cut up my arms pretty bad. The sap from the bushes would have caused me a bit of trouble, but nothing like now with the poison ivy added to it.
OH MY GOD, I'VE NEVER BEEN SO DAMN MISERABLE IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! There was no poison ivy in AZ when I grew up. So I didn't even recognize the stuff.
I'm rashed out, scratched up, swollen, red, with draining sores, fever, and ITCH ......... Oh GOD be merciful and kill me.

I think I'll go down in the basement and scream now.

Gonna try for a DR visit tomorrow. If not I might end up in the ER.

Oh, my wife was out there helping me pull and chop out these stinking vines - she doesn't have one single spot on her. Now she's laughing and tells me she's been immune to the poison ivy all her life. WELL, guess what? She can pull the vines when they come back up.
And the follow up:
12:30 PM Monday: I just got back from the Drs office. My wife called in for me at around 10:30 and I had a fast 11:45 apointment. That is the first time I've ever gotten in without a 2 week apointment wait.

He asked what happened, I told him, then he looked at my arms ... the look on his face was pricless. He wouldn't even get near enough to touch me. My wife sat there holding a straight face and when the DR left she about fell off the chair laughing.

I got some samples of Clarinex (desloratadine) which is an antihistamine with other stuff in it. And a prescription for Prednesone. No shots though.

And the DRs last words were: Wash the arms, keep them clean, and you'll feel better in two to three days. Easy for him to say.
Right now I'm doing fair. Fever is still high and the itching is tolerable.
But I'm basically incapictated as far as doing anything that could cause the arms to get dirty and infect.

Joe

Bullseye, I guess this thread is a bit off topic, but since I mentioned how crappy I felt above I figured I'd just post it here.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Joe, I feel for you. The seeping wounds should have tipped me off to what was ailing you. Your mention of pine branches threw me off the source of your discomfort.

I've had my run-ins with poison ivy. When I was a kid growing up back in Ohio, I played in it one day and afterwards I was badly swollen for two weeks. My face swelled up so horribly that I couldn't even open my eyes. I literally looked like the elephant man. Ever since then, I practically get poision ivy from just looking at it.

I spent over twenty years living out west and in other parts of the world where there was no poision ivy, didn't miss it one bit. Now I live in a part of the country where it thrives even in my own lawn. Needless to say, I get it several times a year just from cutting the grass and emptying the clippings from the mower. I've found it does pass in about a week and thankfully I haven't ever had it as badly as I did when I was a kid. But I like you, I didn't know what it looked like back then and now I do. As soon as I find some, I quickly spray it with brush killer and eliminate it. Although, I did find out that even dead the oil that irratates and inflames your skin can still give you a rash just from handling the dead vines. When I was scout leader I learned the saying, "Hairy vine - danger sign!" That saying helps me stay away from the vines that will cause me discomfort.

The oil (urushiol) in poision ivy can be active for years. Get rid of those work gloves or you'll likely get re exposed to the oil. There is a saying, "Getting caught red handed," that is said to come from the Japanese painting urushiol on their precious metals in their shinto temples. When something was stolen they simply sought out the person with a rash on their hands and that was the culprit.

There's no easy way through it, you just have to let it run it's course. Prednesone is a steriod and pretty nasty stuff over time. I've found applying an OTC topical steriod creme, like Cortaid, helps temporarily take some of the itchiness out of the rash.

All I can say is, I feel your pain. I know the feeling - you feel like your going to die, and then your afraid you won't. I hope this heals for you quickly. Take care of your self, this soon will pass.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Bullseye,

This is the 7th day since exposure. My arms look like they have 2nd degree burns, but the blisters are subsiding and the seeping has mostly stopped. The swelling is going down and the itching is also mostly gone. The dope I got from the DR yesterday seems to be working pretty quick.
I think I'll live. But let me done told you, I'm gonna keep my eyes open for that nasty evil vine from now on. You can take that to the bank.

Joe