Mowhawk Rifle question

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

neophyte

Post by neophyte » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Bullseye: Sir; I just read the script/thread; where you had information on the "Western Auto" Revelation:
Sir; I've had a "Mohawk" Remington for about as long as I can remember.
Is there some-where I can get a proper schematic for it. It's not broken; having the paper would be nice.
I have one Magazine [10 rd] plug in. I have often wondered where I could get another or two.
A reminder note; built a lot like the Nylon 66 without Butt feed.
All information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

By the standards of most

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:06 pm

neophyte:
Try this on: http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp? ... %2010C&MC=

I don't see a schematic but they may be able to help you.

SD

NOTE - edited from an earlier post on this date in another thread. Added here to consolidate the information on the Mowhawk - Bullseye

neophyte:
Gen info on Mohawk (anonymus source)
The Remington Mohawk 10C is classified under the Rimfire type of firearm. It was an auto loading rifle with clip magazine. A rifle is a firearm with a stock and barrel which has spiral groove/grooves or simply called 'rifling' cut into its interior. These special designing helps the bullet to hit at the smaller object with superior correctness. This rifling produces lands areas that make contact with the bullet, and provides spin around an axis corresponding to the orientation of the weapon. Therefore when the shot leaves the barrel, the management of angular drive improves its accuracy and range. Remington Mohawk 10C was introduced in the year 1972 and was also discontinued in the year 1978. It is interesting to note here that the origin of the word 'rifle' is originally referred to the grooving, and hence a rifle was also termed as rifled gun. We are sure that we would be able to provide our visitors all the most relevant and useful information on the subject matter of Remington Mohawk 10C rifle even though it has been discontinued in the year 1978 and no other website is having the relevant information available till date except ours.

The total number of Remington Mohawk 10C produced during this period was 128358 that is around 59 rifles a day. The Remington Mohawk 10C used .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle caliber rounds. Today very limited information is available about Remington Mohawk 10C. This rifle used a rimfire type of firearm cartridge. Cartridges are called a rimfire because, instead of the firing pin striking the primer cap at the center of the base of the cartridge to ignite it as in the case of centerfire cartridge, the pin strikes the rim of the bullet. The rimfire cartridge is essentially an extended and wider hitting cap that contains the priming compound, the propellant powder and the bullet as well. Due to the effect of firing pin impact the head of the cartridge gets deformed and as a result it cannot be reloaded after it has been struck and discharged. Though many different cartridge priming methods have been tried so far, only rimfire and centerfire are the one that are in use today.

Remington Mohawk 10C also used the rimfire cartridges. Due to the thin case they are limited to low pressure calibers. During earlier times rimfire calibers were used to be up to .44 or 11 mm where as current day rimfire tend to be of caliber .22 or 5.5 mm and even smaller. The low pressures mean that rimfire firearms will be light and cheaper. This has lead to their popularity. Rimfire cartridges are typically inexpensive, due to large production quantities. All Rifles including Remington Mohawk 10C used a stock, either fixed or folding, that could be braced against the shoulder of the handler while firing. Till the early 20th century rifles were used to be long such as an 1890 Martini-Henry rifle was six feet or 1.8 m long with a fixed run through. The demand for compact weapons led to the carbine, or shortened rifle. The main reason for the rifle to become popular was their spins that allow to fire with increased accuracy as the bullets goes through the spin of the barrel as compared to older firearms such as muskets. Rifles were single shot, muzzle loading weapons initially. The results of WW I was the greatest proof and criticism of the rifle as a military weapon. By WW II, Armies were looking for more compact weapons. With the time mechanisms became smaller, lighter and more reliable, semi-automatic rifles appeared.

http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... wk_10c.asp
You might contact Remington regarding a schematic. 1-800-243-9700.

SD

neophyte

Post by neophyte » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Song Dawg: Sir; thanks for the information. I looked in the past at "Remington". Didn't read enough. I'll follow up.
Sir; I did call Remington years ago about a Magazine. Would you know what will interchange or where I might find one or two.
Craig

By the standards of most

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Neophyte,

Your Mowhawk is similar to the Nylon 66 it was also know as the Nylon 77. Here's a link to a schematic http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... KU=PDF0343

Model 66
Model 77

Chuck Hawks website has a little information on these models. http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm

Looks like Numrich also has your magazines in stock http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... 96980B&MC=

Hoosier gun works also has them for $18. http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... rifle.html

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:30 pm

Song Dawg: Sir; thanks for the information. I looked in the past at "Remington". Didn't read enough. I'll follow up.
Sir; I did call Remington years ago about a Magazine. Would you know what will interchange or where I might find one or two.

No not presently but I'll keep it in mind in my travels.

SD