MKII Sear Adjustment

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Vincent

MKII Sear Adjustment

Post by Vincent » Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I have been looking all over for the post about drilling the MKII trigger for sear adjustment. I did mine and I am trying to send some RFC folks here to see it and now I can not find it.

Was it ever redone after MKII.org got hurt?

EDIT: I found one article in the Technical area but it requires removing the trigger like the the stock Target overtravel does. The way I did mine the trigger is drilled at an angle and the set screw is accessed at the top of the trigger bow. I thought I got the plan to do it here now I guess not.

Any ideas?
God created man and woman. Samuel Colt made them equal.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Are you referring to the pretravel mod Delta? http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12 This is a trigger modification drilled upward at a 45° angle for external adjustment. It is the very same modification VQ later used to make their then new Mark III target triggers, they just added a little extra material for the screw threads.

R,
Bullseye

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes Sir! Thank you very much!
God created man and woman. Samuel Colt made them equal.

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Timely subject.

I just picked up a MK10. Pulled it apart to clean and look into adding a pre travel screw. It had one in the face already but it wasn't adjusted. I couldn't adjust it. Long before the pre-travel was gone the trigger would not trip the sear.

Looking at the screw's position it is higher than I have ever put one (I've been adding them for ~20 yrs) It actually works better as an over travel screw.

Has anyone seen this on a pretravel, or were the very early homebrew overtravel screws like this?

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Did a little digging here and saw the original pre-travel screw directions. I may have a Ruger target trigger in that gun. I'll have to pull it down again and check. I don't even remember that screw/trigger. It's been years since I was inside a MK-II. My most recent ones were all done in the 90's.

BTW- it still needed adjusting as it was below the surface when I pulled it down.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 am

Hey Dan, I'm relatively new to these mark pistols but I think I read that as you said the ruger target triggers had that set screw in them but if its above the trigger pin hole then it's to adjust the over travel. I installed both in mine as per bullseye's fine instruction & it really makes for a sweet trigger, especially with a VQ sear.. I've since replaced my trigger w/ a VQ target trigger simply because I like the feel of the trigger face better but the stock one performed as well as the VQ trigger it was just a preference thing for me. Good luck.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:19 am

As the alzheimerrs faded I started to remember the factory overtravel screw. :oops:

I did learn a faster way to adjust the trigger. This may be old hat, but I remember pulling the gun down alot further than I was last night to adjust the PT and OT screws in the past.

This is what I ended up doing
With the upper off
Remove the bolt stop plunger.
Slip out the trigger pin and rotate the bolt stop up.
Pull the trigger up enough to work onthe screw
Drop the trigger back in and reassemble.
Just use thumb pressure on the hammer to rough test the adjustment.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:17 am

I see by your latest thread posting that you've recognized that trigger in the MK-10 is a factory target trigger. When the set screw is on the trigger face above the trigger pivot pin it acts an an over travel screw, just like you originally suspected. It's not unusual to find these factory overtravel screws at a zero adjustment. What you want to do with this one is adjust it so the trigger stops after the hammer is released, but with enough clearance for the hammer hook to clear the sear face ledge and not wear it out.

As far as your procedure on a quick adjustment, that was one of the methods I discussed back in the day to facilitate adjusting either the pre or over travel screws.

R,
Bullseye

Dan in MI

Post by Dan in MI » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks for the help.

I took it back down and stoned the sear and hammer. Dropped the trigger pull from 72oz+ (maxed out the scale and then some) to 48oz straight up.

Drilled and tapped the trigger for the pre travel screw. Adjusted the pre and overtravel screws and all is well now.