Anyone have experience with the new SA XDs?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Anyone have experience with the new SA XDs?

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:55 am

Just wanting some feedback on the new XDs from those who own, shot, handled, or just have some thoughts on the design.

Thanks.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:25 pm

A local guy showed me one a few weeks ago, but the very next day his house was broken into and - you guessed it! - they got his new pistol.

It was a nice-looking gun but I never got a chance to shoot it before it was stolen from him.

He got to shoot it some, and was very pleased with it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:35 am

I've handle a buddy's xds. and I like it very much. good trigger, great sights slightly thinner than my subcompact xd 40, and he says it groups very well.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

Just snagged one, for the Mrs. ... when the wife says "buy me a 45" I don't argue. ~$600, competitive with online prices.

Might launch some lead from it today, initial impression after cleaning it up is that it is bleeding edge compact on the inside and ergonomic genius on the outside.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

Another note:
The XDs isn't just a scaled down XD (can't compare to an XDm), as far as I can tell, there seem to be some unique ideas in there.

Also, while I generally take the XD gear and toss it in the closet, the XDs came with a somewhat useful paddle holster ... I may use it as a casual holster for just taking out the trash or walking around the block. The mag carrier is the typical junk.

Magazines for the XDs are dimensionally similar to a 1911 mag, but the entirely different mag catch and a slot in the right side mean I probably won't be able to put junky 1911 mags in the dremel press for range magazines, it looks like I'll have to buy at least 1 more 5x and 2-3 7x mags. At least I can use my 1911/PPS IWB mag carrier.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for input! Sounds like you are all pleased with the exposure you have had to the pistol so far.

bgreenea, I am glad you mentioned it having a good trigger. I've heard a good bit of negatives about the trigger, but it all seemed like stuff that is somewhat irrelevant on a self defense firearm.

BFD, based on the pricing I am seeing, you got a pretty nice deal. Let me know what you and your wife think after putting some rounds through it.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Georgezilla wrote:Let me know what you and your wife think after putting some rounds through it.
I will, as soon as I can get both of us freed up for a range trip.

I intend to compare to:
SA xd9sc
SA xd45c
RIA CCO-ish 1911
Walther PPS9

That range trip is mostly packed up, even ... just have to actually have time/motivation to GO.