finally got a xdm

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

finally got a xdm

Post by Biggjimm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 pm

I've been wanting to get one for a while & today my buddy who owns the lgs called me & said a guy came in looking for a full size nickel plated RIA 1911 to match his blue one & apparently he's been having trouble finding one & he told my bud some ridiculous price he was willing to pay for a nice one so I was able to trade the RIA that I had maybe $325 in for a brand new xdm 40 in blue w/ 4.5" barrel that had a $629 price tag on it. And it came with the usual box of goodies that XD's come with. That's the second good deal I've got from people with more money than sense coming in there. The other was a ruger 22-45 mark lll that a guy had the mainspring cup/ hammer strut misaligned & I bought for $100. Anyways I'm going to the range tomorrow when my son gets home from school & we're gonna give it a thorough checking out & I'll let you know what I think about it afterwards. Biggjimm.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Good score! I think you will like the XDM. I've had an XD 40 for a few years and it has been great. Best of all, it fits my hand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 am

Patience often pays when looking for a particular brand of firearm. Impatience is most often expensive.

Good score!

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: finally got a xdm

Post by ruger22 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 am

Biggjimm wrote: That's the second good deal I've got from people with more money than sense coming in there.
Lots of rich dumb people in your area, huh? Makes you wonder how they got the excess money........ :D

Sounds like you practically stole it, good deal.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Good Score.....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Now I'd like to run into one who has a mark series stainless hunter that I can pick up for a song. I am very pleased with all aspects of this xdm40 except one. It shot flawlessly everytime the trigger was pulled. No hiccups at all. It balances good in the hand, feels good aswell. Everyone was able to keep a nice comfortable, firm hold regardless of hand size. Everything was just as expected except for accuracy. I was shooting cheap target stuff & wasn't expecting to blow the center x out with it by anymeans. It did group fairly well once I got it to hit the paper. At 25yds I couldn't hit the target. After moving my POA around I finally hit the paper. I moved up to the 10yd line & while aiming at the bull, I was impacting about 6-7 inches left. It's not a real big deal because I picked up a set of tritium/ fiber optic sights to put on it as soon as I find someone around here capable of doing it. But it was kind of disheartening to read all these post about the xdm's & they're out-of-the-box accuracy only to not be able to hit a 14" wide target at 25yds. There is a small line cut into the dovetail on either side of the sights, I suppose this is to align the sights with. The rear is dead on & the front is covering the line about halfway on one side, I don't remember which side it is but couldn't imagine that is the cause. Maybe I should contact Springfield before I install the other sights. What do you guys think?
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:50 pm

If your replacing the sights it does not really matter. But I would shoot them an email telling them who test fired the gun is blind, with the sights that far off. But if they miss cut the slot, the sight moved during shipping, it will become one. In that case you will have to shim under the sight to tighten it up.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Good deal.It's always nice to fall into something like that.

Look at Dawson Precision and LPA for sights. Not sure what they have for the XD, but I've been pleased with the ones I've gotten from both for other guns.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Ok. I've got it figured out & I'm back to being excited again. So at 10yds with federal premium its about 1" left of the X. At 25yds with same ammo its hitting about 3" left. The front sight is off about 1mm to the right so I figure if the front sight was dead on the center of the slide, then it would be hitting dead on the X at both distances. Even out to about 40yds its still pretty much dead on height wise. So this is indeed an accurate firearm right out of the box, I just got one that the sight is off a tad bit. So now when I find a smith who can install my new sights it should be dead on then as well. I feel a lot better now about this gun now. It is a real dream to shoot, I was just worried about that POI thing but I think I got it figured out now. Thanks guys.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 am

You should be able to carefully drift that front sight a little bit left in the dovetail slot. Just use a sharp pencil and make a straight line on both the slide and sight. Then when you drift the sight, you'll have a visual reference mark where the sights were originally aligned and how much you've adjusted them by drifting.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Yeah, I thought about drifting it over. There's actually already little notches in the dovetail that reference the centerline of the slide. That's how I knew for sure the front sight was off a little to begin with. You can't tell by eyeballing it but with the marks in the dovetail, its easy to notice.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Sounds as if this would be simpler than some of the alternatives, at least for you to get the sights aligned.

R,
Bullseye