Worst Ammo ever CCI SV ?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Worst Ammo ever CCI SV ?

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:10 pm

I have shoot weapons all my life. I have been reading wear S&W uses CCI standard velocity in the S&W model 41 at the factory. Well I have heard nothing but bad things about waxed rounds ( especially Remington). I bought 400 rounds oof the CCI SV Friday. Took it to the range the last two day's. My shots were never consistant, all over the place. Get the Red Dot sighted in then the next thing I know the shots are all over the place again. The wax gums up the weapon and it is a filthy ammo. Just my opinion and observation, but will never buy it again. The last 1000 rounds I just loaded and shot them into the ground to get rid of them. I will buy Federal from now on. Is there a nice Standard Velocity round that some of you can recommend that is not waxed and preferably copper coated?
Thanks for letting me vent, I had to go out of my way to find the CCI and cost me $10.. extra dollars for 150 rounds less than I am used to.
Edit/Delete Message

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 pm

I love CCI SV, it's probably some of the best .22 ammo for the price. It's very reliable and will easily shoot sub one inch groups a fifty feet out of my Ruger. I don't know of a copper coated standard velocity, and most are waxed.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Most people fill the same as you on the other forums. They all seem to love the CCI SV. Maybe it is the new red dot scope. I will find out further this coming weekend with different ammo. If same problem the scope will go back and get replaced.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 am

I have had mixed quality with CCI SV in blue paper box. Some is excellent. Some is inconsistent in power to cycle the action. Very disappointing. When it is good it is very good.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 am

Though not SV the American Eagle AE22 is the by far the best HV I have shot. Hit has a little more punch and may cycle your gun better. I'm wondering if your gun is very stiff being new and needs a break-in period. Or something is wrong with the internals. I know some MK's are that way. but after a 1000 rounds or so they loosen up and shoot SV just fine.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Your accuracy experience with CCI SV definitely is contrary to my own. I religiously shoot CCE SV for matches because it always goes off and will shoot under 2" with EVERY 22 target pistol I own and under 1 1/2" with 7 out of 8. Including 3 Hi Standards and 5 Rugers.

May I suggest scrubbing out your bore. I used to be an adamant proponent of never cleaning the 22 bore, but a test I did last winter changed my mind. My shots were just not on call. I was recuperating from rotator cuff surgery so I wasn't sure at first. Then I did a 2 handed rest from the bench at 50ft and you can see the difference after I scrubbed out the bore (see link). This was the same pistol, same shooter, same box of CCI ammo, same night.

I hadn't scrubbed out my bore for (guessing) 40-50,000 rounds so there was a lot of buildup and yours may be a lot less. Just a thought.

http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... %20fouled/

FWIW
Last edited by stork on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:30 pm

It is possible you ended up with some bad ammo. In about 4 years of shooting CCI SV, one time I bought about 700 rounds of CCI SV that was unlike the rest I had ever bought. It had some very light loads, one round did not leave the barrel, and a couple rounds later I had a case rupture, ouch, it hurt like hell, it blew powder and gas back through the mainspring housing, and I had black lines on the palm of my had, and the tip of my trigger finger was black. I called CCI, and they had me send in the ammo, they replaced it all plus a couple hundred rounds. If you determine the ammo is bad, give them a call, they don't want a bad reputation, and were quick to replace my ammo.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 am

Thanks for the responses, I figured I would get torched on this subject, but wanted to know what every one else was thinking about the CCI SV. Thanks for all replies.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Late to the discussion, but if the pistol is clean and in good shape, CCI SV may work pretty well. I have some of the blue box,but I don't see that it shoots better than Federal 40gr SV ammo, Fed automatch or CCI blazer. Ammo choice is quite often determined by the pistol.

I just discovered that my Taurus 94 seems to shoot better with Fed Value pack (Walmart) than it does with most other ammo. I keep a selection and do my best to shoot whatever the gun likes.

BTW, none of my semiautos would even load Aguila target ammo. Shot it pretty well if I fed one round at a time through the breech but I couldn't get it into the guns through the mags. Gave up on it.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:11 am

greener wrote: I just discovered that my Taurus 94 seems to shoot better with Fed Value pack (Walmart) than it does with most other ammo. I keep a selection and do my best to shoot whatever the gun likes.
It's amazing how many guns do well with the cheapie Federal. I have gotten what seemed to be two weak lots of it this past year, but otherwise it works as well as Mini-Mags for less than half the cost.

I don't know that I've ever shot any SV .22 in my lifetime. The Bobcat manual recommends it, but if hyper ammo functions better in Bobcats than HV, how could SV work?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm

I've had very good results with the CCI-SV over the years. Standard Velocity is made on the same machines as the Green Tag. There are two different lots of CCI-SV, there's the 0035 and the 0032. The 0032 is the variety that comes in the 100 round plastic cases and the 0035 is in 50 round cardboard boxes. I've kept away from the 50 round boxes and stuck with the plastic ones. My pistols love the stuff, especially my Model 41's.

R,
Bullseye