Mossberg 44B - float the barrel?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mossberg 44B - float the barrel?

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun May 17, 2009 10:54 am

I have a 44B that I am starting to play with. I put a 6.5-24X by 44mm AO Intensity Optics scope on it yesterday and got it to the range for about 45 minutes of sighting in before the range closed. I only had a chance to shoot some Remington .22 target and some Federal AutoMatch ammo. The Remington I was not at all happy with. the Fed AM was better, but at 25 yards I was getting one out a 1/4 to 3/8s inch ever third or fourth shot, the others pretty well enlarging the hole.

What I am wondering is if I should remove the forward barrel band and allow the barrel to be more or less free floating, or leave the band in place. Do any of you have any personal experience with the old Mossberg 44s? I know there are a lot of happy shooters out there getting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I have shot less than 35 or 40 rounds with the scope on it, so I am entirely fishing for opinions on what y'all have done. I know I did very well with it on 50 ft. indoor position matches with peep/ front globe sights years ago.
TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Mossberg 44B - float the barrel?

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:I have a 44B that I am starting to play with. I put a 6.5-24X by 44mm AO Intensity Optics scope on it yesterday and got it to the range for about 45 minutes of sighting in before the range closed. I only had a chance to shoot some Remington .22 target and some Federal AutoMatch ammo. The Remington I was not at all happy with. the Fed AM was better, but at 25 yards I was getting one out a 1/4 to 3/8s inch ever third or fourth shot, the others pretty well enlarging the hole.

What I am wondering is if I should remove the forward barrel band and allow the barrel to be more or less free floating, or leave the band in place. Do any of you have any personal experience with the old Mossberg 44s? I know there are a lot of happy shooters out there getting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I have shot less than 35 or 40 rounds with the scope on it, so I am entirely fishing for opinions on what y'all have done. I know I did very well with it on 50 ft. indoor position matches with peep/ front globe sights years ago.
TB
The only way to find out is to try both methods. I have a 10/22T that has been bedded and floated, but it shoots best with a foam pressure pad between the stock and the barrel about an inch back from the forend. My 10/22DSP shoots the best that way also, tried stock and floated but the pad works the best. Have two 10/22 carbines a recent birch stocked one and an early 4 digit ser Overton walnut stocked one and the shoot the best with the barrel band on, tried all other methods and the band was the best. Besides, playing with them gives you a challenge and something to occupy your time and mind. :D :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Sounds good.

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun May 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey there, B&OM. Posted over on Rimfirecentral and got a similar suggestion in the Mossy section. Interestingly enough, most said the barrel band was an adjunct that worked... but varied a little with the rifle from tight to snug. Have to try it out and see if I can see any difference. I will say one thing from my limited time yesterday. That 6.5x24 scope with the AO is something else again. Spent several minutes playing with it and almost didn't have any time to shoot a few rocks at 50 yards before the range officer wanted everybody to go home. Can't understand why, I had only been there about 40 minutes. Course, he had been there about 9 hours by that time and it was almost 6 o'clock. :?

What the consensus was, was that .22s don't really make any barrel whip or harmonics to upset the barrel and really cause any problem. Thinking about that, I can see that. All my bedding and free floating has been with .270s and similar calibers for ground hogs and antelope out there pretty far. On your little 10/22 carbine with that short barrel, a foam pad might be just what is needed. Thanks for the tip on that. I might try that as well just to see what happens.

By the way, Henry II says "Hello." He didn't get any range time yesterday and was a little put out. :) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 17, 2009 7:30 pm

TB, I believe that the foam bad does it's bit to damp the vibration and minimize the amplitude of the vibration. The whole idea is to get the bullet to leave the barrel on the node of the oscillation consistently. We have got the peep setup with Henry pretty much under control just working out some slight variations yet, but it sure seems to be working fora old eyes and old body.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

First 50 yd. outing

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 am

I went out to the WMA target range last Saturday. A bit windy and then it started raining a bit as well. I set up at 50 yards and was getting a good shot or two, and then they would start moving around. The Remington Goldens seemed to be doing better - way better - than the Win HV hollow points. I also shot some Rem .22 Target which seemed to be pretty consistent. It was about this time, while checking a target that a gust of wind came by and my target frame waved back and forth in front of me. The ground was hard and I didn't have it secured like I thought I did. DUMB! I borrowed a mallet and seated the frame in the ground better. BOY! did my groups start to tighten up. By this time I had broke out the Federal Auto Match and started trying it out. The wind layed and a very fine misty rain started. I was shooting with my range bag (a Husky tool bag) as a rest. I need to get a better rest. But, I was feeling much better with my results. The pic is the last round of 4 bulls I shot before I gave up in the rain. The bottom right bull was my last after I made an elevation adjustment to my scope. I still need to bring it back right a couple 3 or 4 clicks. The first bull in the upper left was started in a dead calm, I put the first 4 shots practically on top of each other at 12 o'clock high. Then the wind picked up for a bit and quit again as I started the upper right bull. Then it started raining and a little bit of wind for the last two bulls. I need to bring my heavy mallet next time so I can anchor my frame better.

I think it will beat 1 MOA with a good rest and a steady target. :) VH [TB]
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

ERRATTA

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 am

I need to bring the scope left a few clicks. Think one way and type another. My key board is dyslectic and it doesn't spell very well either. I did not vary the tension on the barrel band. Besides my mallet, I had also taken my screw drivers out of my bag and failed to put them back. Laying on the work bench 40 miles away doesn't do much good for me at the range. I hope to get back out there this coming Saturday and see what happens.
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Got out to the range a week ago. Bit slow posting. I found out the beasty (44B) only likes solids. HPs go all over the place. But solids, doesn't much matter by who, will pattern pretty good. Blew a big hole in the target about the size of a quarter, or a little smaller with Win Wildcats of all things. Must have put 20 through a nickle size hole. Still need to play some more. I think I need some critical thoughts on the barrel crown if I can get some decent pictures. More from the continuing learning experience later. TB
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

JULY 8TH - BACK TO THE RANGE

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:29 pm

I believe I am finding the middle ground with my old Mossy. This past weekend I was back out at the range. Got the target frame staked solidly into the ground, wind was generally nominal, and the fun began. That first shot is still 2 inches off somewhere of its own desire, but after that it gets down to business. I was shooting the Federal Lightning 40 grain solids. Several times I was cutting one hole with the second shot. The third would touch the first two or be a bullet width away or so. I tried out some Winchester Xpert 36 gr HPs. Surprisingly they were grouping 2 inches left of the Federal. I adjusted the scope and was poking the rounds back into the bullseye nearly as good as with the federal. I believe I have found the near perfect torque on the mounting screws between the stock and the action/barrel. Shooting like a whole different rifle from my frustrations of the first time or two with the new scope and 50 yard targets. A fellow with a new bull barrel Savage Acu-trigger was shooting Eley and not beating me by much if any. Sure was proud of that old rifle. 70 years old and acting like a kid. The rifle that is. I am only 68. TB
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Sounds like you're getting that old Mossy dialed in. It should give you may years of enjoyment with the new optics.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

50 yard group (but at 25)

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 am

Out at the range on Saturday again. Warmed up the Mossy at 25 yards and got this group: Image Sure felt good...
Five shots. Unfortunately, I was not able to duplicate that at 50 yards. That is what next weekend is for! :lol: TB
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am

Nice group!

R,
Bullseye