Carelessness/Stupidity/Old Age=bad afternoon at the range

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Carelessness/Stupidity/Old Age=bad afternoon at the range

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Took the 10/22 T to the range this afternoon for a little fun as it has not been shot for a month or so. Oops, left loose leaf binder of targets at home, got some targets in the car with some stick-ons in the range bag. Not what I wanted but they will work. Lean gun in sot case against car and it falls over, no problem is in a nice soft padded case. Set out target frame and the prairie dog spinner at 25 yards and head back to the bench. Load 1 rounds of Fed bulk to warm barrel and can not hit the orange prairie dog. Oh well sight may be off a little, after 50 plus rounds still have not hit paper, something must be wrong so put it away and shoot the 8 inch scoped 22/.45. Shoot some nice groups with 2 or 3 different kinds of ammo and heed for the gun shop on the way home. Gunsmith can not get it to align to the bore sighter and notices the scope tube is bent right. After closer inspection scope is bent way right and slightly down as a result it must have been shooting way left and a little high. Got home and took the scope off and see that it must have hit on the top left of the scope from the way the case was laying on the ground and the heavy gun just tweaked the scope. Well it bent one way so it will bend back, a few swift whacks on carpeted workbench and it is looking better already. Will put a bore-sighter in it tomorrow, center the adjustment and adjust/whack it back where it belongs. just got to whack it 180 degrees from where it hit, used to straighten motorcycle fork tube so this should be relatively easy. One of the guys at the shop said, hey you will ruin your scope, told him, it;s no damn good the way it is so there is really nothing to hurt.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 pm

sorry that it broke...
but sounds like you have a "plan"... good luck,
let us know how it works out...

just be careful to NOT bend that scope into a "U"...
you might shoot yourself !! -- toy

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Too bad about your scope tube, but look at the bright side, you may have found a way to peek around corners without exposing yourself to hostile fire!

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 am

Bullseye wrote:Too bad about your scope tube, but look at the bright side, you may have found a way to peek around corners without exposing yourself to hostile fire!

R,
Bullseye
Well, somehow they both have to be pointing in the same place, so, got to bend the barrel or the scope. A few whacks on my padded workbench has got the scope looking better, will pick up aq bore sighter tomorrow, center the adjusting knobs on the scope and whack it until it is close to lining up on the grid. Then will go to the range and finish the job. If it does not work, I can still send it to Tasco for repair.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 am

I mentioned you could peek around the corner. I didn't claim you could return fire. :D

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 am

Bullseye wrote:I mentioned you could peek around the corner. I didn't claim you could return fire. :D

R,
Bullseye
Being an old service tech, we lost a lot of battles fut we won the war in the end. Whatever moves one way will move the other. It's not much good now but it really ain't broke either, it still works if you do not want to shoot where you are looking, but at present it will not look where you are shooting. When I get done it will be either looking and shooting in the same spot or it will be BROKE, and then we will send it to Tasco to be fixed.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Let's hope you get it fixed quickly. Tough luck from a fall.

At least you weren't stopped a couple of miles from the range by someone blowing his horn and telling you that you have a rifle hanging from the trailer hitch. Last year my son left his .22 on the bumper of my Tahoe. The case sling caught on the trailer hitch. Two miles of road chewed the case and sanded down the top of the butt.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:25 pm

greener wrote:Let's hope you get it fixed quickly. Tough luck from a fall.

At least you weren't stopped a couple of miles from the range by someone blowing his horn and telling you that you have a rifle hanging from the trailer hitch. Last year my son left his .22 on the bumper of my Tahoe. The case sling caught on the trailer hitch. Two miles of road chewed the case and sanded down the top of the butt.
Going to pick iup a bore sighter from a friend tomorrow qfternoon and take a whack at adjusting the scope tube.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 am

Wasn't it a "whack" that started this in the first place? :D

Good luck with your scope tube realignment. I hope you're 10/22 is back up and running real soon.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 am

Bullseye wrote:Wasn't it a "whack" that started this in the first place? :D

Good luck with your scope tube realignment. I hope you're 10/22 is back up and running real soon.

R,
Bullseye
Right you are my friend, a whack started the problem and a whack will finish it also. Will pick up the bore sighter tis afternoon and proceed with the adjusting/whacking. Got more 10/22's end got more scopes, can always swap the scope from another gun and they are usu sally pretty close to center. Get them adjusted in about 3 5 shot groups. All depends on which gun I want to shoot. I do have another scope identical to the one that got bent, well not identical as that one is st=ill straight. The theory sounds good to me, center adjustments, mount scope and look at grid, remove scope and adjust/whack as required and then remount and check. May take a few tries but I really have nothing too loose as the scope is really no good as it is.

Hopefully will be able to post a succes story before the week is up. :?:

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Doesn't seem to be much on the net on straightening a scope other than "customer service." Sounds like beating on it is a good way to relieve tension.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Well a whack caused the problem and a whack or 2 or more by an old wacko finished the job. It really is broke now, well not really as it is now a 2 piece back packing scope for storage in a smaller area. Had it tweaked pretty much back where it belonged but I needed a little more up adjustment, so we gave it a pry with a flat bar between the barrel and the scope and :o :shock: :x it became a 2 piece unit. Aluminum is very thin and as aluminum goes, you can bend it in one direction fairly easily but when you try to make it go back it is prone to cracking from metal fatigue especially at a sharp threaded area. Bushnell/Tasco said to send it in and they most likely will replace it at less than retail cost, so we most likely will do that one of these days. Got more scopes and got more guns.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm very sorry to learn of your scope's early demise. I'm sure you will get another to take its place and everything will be right with the world again.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 pm

So, Bear's Daddy I just noticed this post from two weeks ago. Until I read on to see that your "fix" failed I was awestruck with your plan to rehabilitate your broken scope. You said:" a few swift whacks on carpeted workbench and it is looking better already." Here I thought that I was the only one who considered a tool kit to consist of hammers of ever increasing size! Just having some fun with you :) I once had a MINT Browning High Power that I put in a safe that was built into the floor for "Safe Keeping". Well, it was safe, but very,very,very very rusted when I took it out to admire it. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm

KAZ wrote:So, Bear's Daddy I just noticed this post from two weeks ago. Until I read on to see that your "fix" failed I was awestruck with your plan to rehabilitate your broken scope. You said:" a few swift whacks on carpeted workbench and it is looking better already." Here I thought that I was the only one who considered a tool kit to consist of hammers of ever increasing size! Just having some fun with you :) I once had a MINT Browning High Power that I put in a safe that was built into the floor for "Safe Keeping". Well, it was safe, but very,very,very very rusted when I took it out to admire it. Regards
As long as it was not usable in the condition it was in, I could really not make it any worse, just made it into 2 small problems instead of one. Worked as a service tech on motor cycles and all small engines for many year and a man has to have a proper assortment of hammers. It is not the hitting that counts it is the knowing where to hit, so I had the coarse adjustment fine and just messed up on the fine adjustment. Waiting for an answer from Tasco they said they would help me out. :D :?