Neighborhood Watch

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Neighborhood Watch

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:21 am

Remember how our neighborhoods used to be safe for our children, and you didn't hear much about break-ins and yard theft?

I'm trying to bring back the time-honored tradition where elders sit on the front porch with a shotgun across their lap.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Even better, for these days, would be a Browning .50 on a rooftop tripod..... :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:46 pm

It's dangerous for elders to climb. - But they can sure keep an eye out for trouble, and handle a shotgun if needed.

The deterrent factor would do the most good though, it's very seldom that shots would need to be fired, once it was known that the deterrent was in place.

These days, a cell phone along with the shotgun makes an even better deterrent. The cavalry waits, ready to be called.

A nice comfortable chair, a glass of iced tea on a little table, a Mossberg 500 - and we can return to the days of our streets being safe for children.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Now days there would be SWAT teams taking down the homeowners for sitting outside with a shotgun on the porch when someone calls in that there's a person with a gun. People are a lot more skittish these days, including the police.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:28 am

Bullseye wrote:Now days there would be SWAT teams taking down the homeowners for sitting outside with a shotgun on the porch when someone calls in that there's a person with a gun. People are a lot more skittish these days, including the police.

R,
Bullseye
To much media today, the news stations make many paranoid!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:28 am

Unless you live in the country and they still carry rifles/pistols in the trucks and atv's. At my dad's place every one is armed and you can hear shooting at all times. A lot carry open side arms while there out in the field/woods, minimum. The sheriff even told me who to hook up with that reloads and shoots in my area. He liked my setup I had for my shooting range. For some go out at night after the wild hogs and coyotes. I hear gun shots 2-3am quite regularly. There are some advantages to be 5-6 miles out of town in small county.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

MisterJones 0715

Re: Neighborhood Watch

Post by MisterJones 0715 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm

When I first moved to Jacksonville, The retired couple across the street from me was our watch. He was legally blind but saw more of what went on then anyone. He could tell you the color of clothes and bikes. I miss that too.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:52 am

It is legal to walk down the street with a loaded shotgun, not to mention sitting on your own porch with one.

When the PC sickness gets so bad that cops are pestering folks exercising their rights, then it's time for those same cops to be videotaped while they receive a stern lecture on that subject. This is the United States; not Venezuela, North Korea or Cuba.

Embarrass them, put their names and faces online, make sure everybody knows who and what they are - and they'll think twice next time before trying to bully or BS law abiding citizens, most especially our elders.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:15 am

People today are scared. Everything they are hearing and seeing is designed to keep them that way and under the thumb of the authorities. As soon as they see someone with a gun they automatically assume it is for nefarious reasons because they have little experience with firearms or sportsman. The best way to counter this is to try and expose them to the benefits of marksmanship and gun ownership. Many anti-gun folks have been turned away from the "Dark Side" ( a little Star Wars reference) of the anti-gun agenda by some enjoyable time at the range experiencing firearms in a safe manner. Most, if not all, of the rigid anti's I have taken to the range over the years have all become firearms owners themselves after our sessions. Positive experiences are what can turn the tide of negative public opinion around.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:45 am

charlesb wrote:It is legal to walk down the street with a loaded shotgun, not to mention sitting on your own porch with one.

When the PC sickness gets so bad that cops are pestering folks exercising their rights, then it's time for those same cops to be videotaped while they receive a stern lecture on that subject. This is the United States; not Venezuela, North Korea or Cuba.

Embarrass them, put their names and faces online, make sure everybody knows who and what they are - and they'll think twice next time before trying to bully or BS law abiding citizens, most especially our elders.
When the police are "pestering folks exercising their rights"... as a cop and a gun enthusiast, I see two sides of this. As a cop, what I get dispatched to and what is really happening are sometimes very different, what you call pestering and bullying is most likely just investigating a complaint. You have no idea what info the officer has gotten prior to arriving, it may have been an exaggeration, outright lie, or misconception. Very often, I'll show up find out who's really doing what, have a conversation about whatever activity they are doing, remind them to be thoughtfully of others (noise issues), and be on my way.

As a firearms enthusiast, when someone videos an encounter with the police and immediately goes on the defensive, or offensive about them violating their rights by stopping to talk with them. It makes me upset, embarrassed, and mad. Now if the cop is overstepping, that's another thing. Otherwise, the ones that try to bait officers on video are just losers.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 am

They close schools in the Richmond area because someone drew crude sketches of guns in the bathrooms (two schools). People are doing everything to make the very sight of guns frightening. I'd be surprised that you will be offered counseling when you've seen one before long.

Maybe it's already started. When I tell bgreene's mother I'm going to the gun store, she gives me counseling.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 am

but you need it and the big greener too
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:43 pm

People are going a little nuts about gun-like figures, remember the pop tart or Lego ones made by some school kids? They just need to give it a break and relax a bit.

R,
Bullseye