Knocking the dust off

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Knocking the dust off

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 am

Due to parental duties, a long cold snowy winter, recovery from a hand injury, the moon not in the seventh house when Jupiter was aligned with Mars, and any other lame reason I could make up I just have not had a chance to go to the range to shoot.... department qualifications are coming up so I convinced my bride to postpone the honey-do list for a little bit and snuck off to the range....

I had the pistol bay to myself and worked my way through some boolits, and they mostly went where I told them. I policed up my brass and had a crotchety old fart moment (although I am not a crotchety old fart yet), I got ticked that folks had left the target stands (2x4 frames) in pieces and folks had shot them up. I went to the supply shed, got a hammer, repaired 3 bases and 2 stands, then swept the bay out and neatened things up.

Satisfied that it was in better shape than when I got there I went to the 200m range to check zero on my patrol rifle (colt ar15). Probably a good thing as it was shooting 3" left at 50 yards. I banged the gongs (one 16" square and a 10" round) out at 200m and put a couple mags though my rifle.
Then I got to thinking, "I've hit that gong with my 45, I wonder what the drop on a 9 mm is?" I loaded up a mag in my p226 and took some shots at it. I think the drop is about 2 feet at 200m... I hit that sucker 5 out of 10 shooting off hand. And I giggled like a 12 year old boy each time.

Greener, a shootin' trip is in order when you come up next.
:wink: :wink:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:59 am

It is fun dinging them at long distance, isn't it? Sounds like a satisfying day at the range, and you left the place a little bit better then you found it.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Bullseye, it was a good day. and I could waste a lot of ammo shooting at steel at distance (and hitting sometimes) :wink:

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:04 am

Sometimes it is just plain fun to attempt a distant shot without prior knowledge of the "hold-over" and know that it can be done.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu May 07, 2015 8:44 am

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should pack a couple of long guns in the locking case this time. I'd love to see what the AR does at 200 yards. Between the weather here and other distractions I haven't had much range time this spring. It's a heck of a thing to be retired and not have time to go to the range. I may need to rethink priorities.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 pm

:thumbs up:

-John Wayne