Time for a new topic.

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Time for a new topic.

Post by mark II » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 am

How about dry firing.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I do a lot of dry-firing, getting to know the trigger on my guns and calling my shots, so to speak.

The gun I do this most often with is my Savage in .243, which weighs ten pounds. It builds up my shooting muscles a bit to hold it steady and on target. I've learned a few tricks about getting it reasonably steady while squeezing the trigger.

I have dry-fire dummy cartridges for the .243 but I hardly ever remember to use them.

The trigger was 1.5 pounds for a long time, but I recently backed it off to around two pounds and I like it a lot better like that.

For some reason I hardly ever dry-fire any of my pistols. There is a .40 caliber Astra 100 that I dry-fire from time to time, maybe once every few months or so.

My favorite gun to dry-fire, hands down is a 98 Mauser that I installed NEGC double-set triggers onto a few years back. I also fabricated and welded on a butterknife bolt-handle for that gun. It's waiting to be rebarreled since the barrel that it has is like a sewer pipe, so I never waste ammo shooting it - but it's a lot of fun to dry-fire with it's Williams peep sight and the double set-triggers.

I ought to get off of my can and get a new barrel for it, as it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

Right now it's around 20 degrees and sleeting here, so any shooting I do at all is going to be dry-firing, no doubt!

A nice way to stay acquainted with my guns on a cold winter day.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I dry fire my pistols a lot. I use the LaserLyte snap caps so I get feed back as to actually where I hit. This setup is what is use to practice all my point shooting with. The last time I shot my 1911 at the range without the c-more the shooter next to me was admiring my target. I told hit to check out the gun and then he noticed that it did not have sights. That really got his attention. So I had to explain to him how I practice the point shooting. I was shooting better with no sights than he was with sights.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

series by Ed Hall

Post by stork » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Here's an excellent series by Ed Hall that he wrote several years back.

I'd forgotten how good it was until I recently reread it.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC01.html

Should be required reading for anyone shooting precision pistol.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 am

I try and dry fire every day now. When I dry fire the dot just sits in the middle of the black and hardly moves. I'm a 295 dry fire shooter. Of course things change when I go to a match. And changes a lot.
What I figured out was when I first made my dry firing set up, which was years ago, I figured it out wrong. My ratio was off. My black dot was to big and I was standing to close. Of course that made things easier.
So I fixed the ratio. Dot smaller and I'm standing farther back. Also started wearing my shooting glasses and I'm going to try and copy match coditions. I'm hoping this will add a few points to my score.