Pawnshop .22 Adapter

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Pawnshop .22 Adapter

Post by greener » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 pm

bgreene twisted my arm and made me buy a .22 adapter for my DPMS while visiting a pawn shop in North Carolina. Tried it today with Federal 38gr HV HP (Fed Value pack) ammo. The mag was about 25 rounds. One FTF. Changing the bolt to the insert was easy. All rounds fed, fired, ejected. Need more work for accuracy, but at 25 yards it was OK. Less expensive shooting than .223

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Mr Greener, how much coaxing did it take for brgreener to convince you to buy this?
I do have interest in such an adapter, which I will ask you folks a question regarding this. Could I use this conversion kit in my RRA's NM rifle to practice off hand shooting? How much would the extra wear will affect the accuracy of the barrel with, say, another 2000 rounds of 22lr through it? And, which conversion kit would you suggest?
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Haka, it should work no problem in your rock river. And if 22lr is going to wear your bore out faster than 223 you probably want a different barrel! All kidding aaside I talked him into the CMMG kit and its only had great reviews.

I think it would be great for service rifle practice, or fun plinking.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Hakaman wrote:Mr Greener, how much coaxing did it take for brgreener to convince you to buy this?
I do have interest in such an adapter, which I will ask you folks a question regarding this. Could I use this conversion kit in my RRA's NM rifle to practice off hand shooting? How much would the extra wear will affect the accuracy of the barrel with, say, another 2000 rounds of 22lr through it? And, which conversion kit would you suggest?
Haka
Well, I'm sleeping with a heating pad for my shoulder and bands on my arms. :lol:

The .223 rounds are going through the barrel at ~3000 fps and the .22lr are doing 1000-1200 fps. I'd think the wear from .22lr would be significantly less. In artillery, recording rounds fired is important because the barrel could come apart. You also counted whether the rounds were full charge or not and used a formula to count "effective full charge" rounds. I'd guess barrel wear would be something like that on the .223. I don't think I'd notice the difference in wear.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 am

The biggest thing when using a AR .22 LR adapter is to give the chamber a good scrubbing with a copper brush when shooting .223 again. The little rimfire rounds are more residue heavy and some of this blows back in behind the chamber adapter. Give the chamber a good scrubbing with solvent and a brush before going back to the centerfire rounds and that will prevent any sticking cases.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Now this looks like something I'd like !
Any opinions?
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant ... DPMS+.22LR
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Hakaman wrote:Now this looks like something I'd like !
Any opinions?
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant ... DPMS+.22LR
Haka
Or better yet you can buy another gun in .22LR just for fun shooting.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Looks like a lot of fun there, OM, I bet the Queen Anne's Lace took a beating though.
I'd like something that mimicked my AR-15, not only for fun, but for cheap practice to simulate off hand shooting.
Hope all is going well with you,
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am

A lot of folks go with a dedicated .22 upper for some serious practice or even for use in Appleseed events.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 am

Hakaman wrote:
Looks like a lot of fun there, OM, I bet the Queen Anne's Lace took a beating though.
I'd like something that mimicked my AR-15, not only for fun, but for cheap practice to simulate off hand shooting.
Hope all is going well with you,
Haka
The Lace crop was poor this year as they did too good of a job of wee control on the 25 yard berm. Did get to do a lot of fun shooting at half length pieces of blackboard chalk on the 50 yard with the .22 and 100 yards with the .17. They sure go up in a puff of smoke especially with the .17. got 9 out of 10 with the .17 at 100 one day, fuuuuuuunnnnn.
The 15-22 shoot s way better than I had expected for a stock gun of that design, not a real target gun but more of a fun plinker, Shot this group, rested at 50 with CCI SV, think th center circle is one inch.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Shot one this weekend. Barska reddot. Fired nicely.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 am

I sent an email to Florida GunWorks for the DPMS NM Upper, and asked a few
qestions. The guy there told me they are not making that upper any more due
to the fact they can't get all the parts from their suppliers. So I am out of luck from
that source. I was really considering that on too.
If anyone knows of a source where I can get a similar unit, please let me know.
Haka :cry:

greener

Post by greener » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:40 am

Hakaman wrote:I sent an email to Florida GunWorks for the DPMS NM Upper, and asked a few
qestions. The guy there told me they are not making that upper any more due
to the fact they can't get all the parts from their suppliers. So I am out of luck from
that source. I was really considering that on too.
If anyone knows of a source where I can get a similar unit, please let me know.
Haka :cry:
Nice looking unit. This is the one I got
http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba6fd.htm Not nearly as nice as the complete upper, but it seems to work fairly well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:57 am

Have you taken a look at any of the .22 uppers CMMG offers? http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1553.htm

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 am

Bullseye wrote:Have you taken a look at any of the .22 uppers CMMG offers? http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1553.htm

R,
Bullseye
Yoou can buy a whole gun for damn near that price if you buy the Smith 15-22. Around 450 if I remember corrrectcly.