10-22 accuracy problems (or me?)

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

10-22 accuracy problems (or me?)

Post by Biggjimm » Tue May 22, 2012 10:02 am

I am by far no sharpshooter or expert markma. I have been shooting for over 35 years, hunting just a few years less than that. I have always considered myself a good shot as I could always hit where I was aiming. I know my limitations & my guns limits & stay within that. That being said, lately I have been getting interested in more precision shooting. It started when after I could put it in the bullseye at will, that got boring so I started making my bulls smaller & smaller then I started increasing distance (at the same time I started modding my 10-22 rifle, $$$!!!) at up to 35-40 yards I can produce sub 1/4" one hole groups (often its literally one .22 size hole w/ 3-5 rd groups) however, I get upwards of 50 yards & the groups grow considerably. Like 1-1.5". I shoot on sand bags usually across the hood of my truck. My rifle is a SS Ruger 10-22 carbine (1989 model- all metal) I have a Boyd's Blaster thumb hole stock, ShootersRidge 18.5" fluted target bull barrel (with a Bentz match chamber?), I have stoned & polished my trigger group- 2lb pull- no pre-travel or over-travel, polished & chamfered the bolt. I have a 3-9X32 scope (not top of the line) good rings & mount & everything is good & tight. I've tried a large assortment of ammo & CCI blazer & rem golden bullet HP seems to be the most consistent. My question is is this set up capable of shooting at 50+ yards with the same accuracy as it does at shorter distances. I realize that longer distances multiply any errors or problems but I can literally put 5 rds thru the same hole at 40 yds but at 60 yds all bets are off. Any suggestions please. Thank you. Biggjimm.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Well I just came from the range & I think I've figured out my problem. It's a couple things I think. First off is ammo, I picked up a couple more different kinds today & I got pretty decent groups with CCI Mini Mags & some Win Super X Super Speed HV plated round nose bullets, the guy at the counter said they were new. I don't know if they're new or new to him but I was getting sub 3/8" groups at 60 yards with both. Another problem is my scope is too low for this Boyd's stock. I really got to cram my face into the cheek piece & it's not comfortable & I think that's a lot of my problem. And lastly, one of the most obvious things that I was overlooking in my excitement to shoot this rifle (I had been waiting on my barrel for over 3 weeks) is the fact that I just put the new stock & bull barrel on it so it is essentially a brand new gun that I had never fired before. I was expecting it to shoot just like it did before I changed everything & everything is different now. The fit, feel, weight, length, length of pull, absolutely everything has changed. With that being said I shot it today with a different outlook & attitude & different expectations & I think all in all it performed very well. Just like any other new gun I've ever had the more I shoot it & become familiar with it the better it will shoot. Or should I say the better I will shoot it. I guess everyday is a new experience & we learn new things. Or atleast we remember those that we forgot. I guess it's kinda like "buck fever". Oh well at the end of the day it turned out to be every bit the tack driver I knew it was & the more I shoot it the better ill be able to drive tacks with it I suppose.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Sounds as if you've discovered some areas of exploration to achieve the degree of accuracy you're looking for in your 10/22. One other thing to consider is semi-auto platforms are inherently less accurate than their bolt action counterparts due to the mechanical operation of the self loading parts. Also production ammunition varies in consistency which will show more as the range increases. Case rim thickness can vary considerably within a carton of 22 rimfire ammo which can affect detonation and head spacing both of which will degrade accuracy. Also at 50 yards or greater wind and barometric pressure changes can seriously affect impact points. A lot of bench rest shooters can attest to the way they are consistently chasing that single hole punch at those distances. Keep on experimenting.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Tue May 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I really enjoy the challenge of a little longer range plinking & because of the limitations of semi auto guns I'm thinking about picking up a barrel for my encore just for that. Maybe a .204 or .223 or 22-250 or something along those lines. Also I'd like to get into reloading along with some higher power shooting. I'm actually looking for a press to get started with. I just think that would make longer range shooting that much more fun & exciting & challenging.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 am

Maybe Bearandoldman will come along and comment on this one, he's done quite a bit of experimentation with achieving one-shot groups with some of his 10/22's. Careful about jumping into the reloading game, it can absorb a lot of your money quickly acquiring all the equipment to make highly accurate rounds.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

Bullseye wrote:Maybe Bearandoldman will come along and comment on this one, he's done quite a bit of experimentation with achieving one-shot groups with some of his 10/22's. Careful about jumping into the reloading game, it can absorb a lot of your money quickly acquiring all the equipment to make highly accurate rounds.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks for the pat on the back bud, been doing a lot of playing around and have learned a lot about rimfire accuracy, also learned that reloading can cost you money$$$$$.
As far as long range, in my opinion .22LR is good to 50 yards, Normal trajectory of a SV load is 1/4 high at 25yds will be damn near dead on at 50 yards after that it falls off rapidly to being around 8 inches low at 100 yard. But, it is amazing what you can do to a target at 100 yard when you get your holdover correct.
As far as long range with a center fire, what do you think you will bw shooting ? The .223 is a readily available cartridge and ammo and components are reasonable, the .204 is good for more distance as it is about 1000fps faster at the muzzle. I Have had excellent results with Hornady bulk .223 and my handload in my Savage heavy barrel bolt gun,
Bjg jim if you want more info just email me or PM, whatever you prefer. My bud has a .204 that he may want to sell.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.