How long til summer?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:05 pm

In Houston I think it rains somewhere in the city every day. I lived and worked down there for 1 yr till I moved back to the DFW area.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:30 pm

I got the TM15 Dry Firing device today, and after figuring out how to use it,
it really simplifies the dry firing technique. Just as you said, you only have to
move the bolt back about a half inch to reset the trigger. It should really help out this winter.
thanks, Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm glad you got one for your rifle. If I had known I could have provided greater details in its usage. Essentially you break open the upper and lower and slide the device into the back of the AR bolt. The hammer can only drop a fraction of it's travel when the trigger is squeezed. Cycling the charging handle requires only a very small amount of movement to reset the hammer. I can reset mine while still maintaining a cheek weld on the stock. Great for dry fire practice, especially off-hand.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Still winter here in Michigan, and still have spring weather going on. Sat/Sun
forecast 46 & 62 degs !!! and sunny !!! Even warmer in the northern parts of Detroit.
I'll have the window open in my car occasionally. This is unlike what I remember for Mich winters. It's Grrrreat.
I'm gonna start thinking BLACK RIFLE pretty soon.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:09 pm

I mounted a scope on my AR and took my nephew to the range with me. This is the first year he has shot any firearms, and the first time he has shot a rifle. We had a little competition going on at 100 yds and he beat me 3 of 4 matches. I tried to make soothe my ego by saying he has a great teacher (me), but he still out shot me. Oh well, what a great time spent with my nephew in unseasonably great weather in michigan (70's and sunny).
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am

Well, summer-like weather is here, and the first 'service rifle' outing of the year. Just a practice match, thankfully, but good to get out. The range won this round, it seemed to have my number.
Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 am

The first three practice matches haven't been anything to brag about, as the OH shooting is destroying me. I'd rather not post any scores because I would be embarrassed. I have been trying some new equipment that doesn't look like it's going to be right for me. I bought a leather fingerless mitt that I'm not to fond of. But no excuses, OH needs to improve.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 am

I use a fingerless glove that I got many years ago from Jim Hill when he was running Creedmore Armory in Oceanside. OH with the AR takes some getting used to, the rifle doesn't fit the body as well as the Garand or the M-14. You just have to find that comfortable position where you can settle in and squeeze. I'll bet you're fighting the rifle to keep it in position on the target, and that is usually a positional issue. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, and then dry fire some more!

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Maybe I should try another sport, OH is a ruin. I have been dry firing downstairs and my scores are getting worse. Although it was a practice session, I think I had the lowest score ever on OH. I missed getting points with two shots, and the the other 8 were not great. To save embarrassment, I won't mention what the score was, but I did get a 96 on rapid fire sitting. I just can't get comfortable in the OH position, I think I'm trying too hard and not relaxing? I will continue on, and am determined to score better. Ok, I got a 55 on the OH. :oops: <---- Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm

It will come, you just have to learn to relax. If you've fighting the rifle trying to hold the front sight still on the target then that's part of the problem.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm

In the RF sitting and RF prone I have been avg'g in the low/mid 90's. The SF
segments have been hurting me. I have been dry firing frequently and it seems
to help some, but only avg'g in the mid 70's SF OH. I feel I am capable of shooting better,
but it hasn't come together yet. I continue to work on it though. I think I need
to relax a little more during the round. SF prone also hurts my score, avg'g just mid 160's.
Much of the enjoyment of shooting this competition is it's inherent difficulty, but also overcoming
it as well. I was considering changing my sight picture from a 6:00 setting(with a little white between
the front sight and bullseye) to holding the sight on POI. I just wonder what is the most common?
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15 am

Six o'clock is the most common hold providing more consistency in shot grouping. However consistency also depends on how well you can see the front sight. Are you having any issues with sight clarity? Even a little fuzzy on the front sight can cause consistency problems.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Are you having any issues with sight clarity?
Not really at all, ever since I got the 'Micro sight' I get a clear view of both the front sight and the target. Unless the Micro sight is throwing me off a little? I feel I am just a little inconsistent. I also feel that I have the potential to shoot better, it just hasn't come together yet. The SF OH is improving slowly, but I think I also need to improve the SF Prone. I can seem to keep a consistent group. Funny thing, RF Prone has been one of my best segments?
A high master shoots with POI and gets amazing groups, but he is the first I know that does that system.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Well the Micro Sight or an insert from Bob Jones was what I would have recommended for a vision issue. I see now that you had mentioned previously about buying the SR Micro Sight. What kind of trigger are you using?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I have the RRA NM rifle with their 2 stage trigger. Sometimes I notice the lack
of follow through. I would like to get to the mid 170's for my SF Prone.
thanks, Haka