Oh, Henry

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Oh, Henry

Post by greener » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Targets from the Henry H001 at 50 yards. I used the high-tech bench rest
Image with two additional blocks for extra shake. The scope was not adjusted until the 5th reload. I fired 10-15 rounds of several ammo types. Today, the Henry liked the Win 555 (38 gr HV HP). It didn't like the Fed value pack. It may have liked SV ammo but not as much as the Win HV.

Scope: BSA 3x7, $5 on sale from KMart a couple years ago.

POA and POI became interesting as I changed ammo. Somewhere the scope went off.

Better scope, better rest. Likes the Cheap Win ammo. Blast to shoot.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:47 am

Nice! I make sure to take HENRY every trip to the range as it always puts a smile on my face. What a Best Buy sweet shooter 8) I've had more than a few after trying HENRY showing up soon with their own. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:36 pm

A youngman up at the range let me shoot his Henry one day about 2yrs ago. I have wanted one ever since. They are one fine rifle. Good luck with yours Mr Greener... :D

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 pm

I fell in to very persuasive company: Kaz and oldman.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21 pm

We have two interesting member HENRY stories dealing with HENRY customer service. One was a member who to his horror dropped his HENRY out the bottom of his unzipped gun case on to concrete. He was sick about the damage and fixed the buttstock as best he could and called HENRY describing his error and asking if he could buy just the plastic buttplate. The HENRY Pres came online and asked for his addy so that they could send out a complete new stock 8) Next oldman had one that wouldn't shoot straight. HENRY had him send it in(prepaid) and replaced the barrel, and it is one sweet shooter now. Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm

greener wrote:I fell in to very persuasive company: Kaz and oldman.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

ou should pick t=
greener wrote:I fell in to very persuasive company: Kaz and oldman.
You should be more careful in picking toyr friends. them 2 guys are know gun purchase instigators.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

KAZ wrote:We have two interesting member HENRY stories dealing with HENRY customer service. One was a member who to his horror dropped his HENRY out the bottom of his unzipped gun case on to concrete. He was sick about the damage and fixed the buttstock as best he could and called HENRY describing his error and asking if he could buy just the plastic buttplate. The HENRY Pres came online and asked for his addy so that they could send out a complete new stock 8) Next oldman had one that wouldn't shoot straight. HENRY had him send it in(prepaid) and replaced the barrel, and it is one sweet shooter now. Regards
You can bet your buttstock on this one too. She is a good shooter, now has a Tasco 3-9X40 World Class that IK bought used at my loval gun shop. Was shooting the prairied dog sister and clipping off weed blossoms on the 25 yard berm yesterday and noticed 10 rounds of SK Std+ in the box and a blank target, so did this group at 25 yards/10 shots, rested.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm

baom, you need to buy some new targets! That one has the center shot out :wink:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 pm

KAZ wrote:baom, you need to buy some new targets! That one has the center shot out :wink:
Maybe that is what I have to do, tart buying them. Have been printing them myself on poor quality materials.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Stop by an office supply store and buy some 1/2" or 1" sticky dots. There's plenty of paper left on that target. :thumbs up:

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 pm

I have lots of them with the outer rings all shot up, but the centers are intact. Trade?? :roll:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:I have lots of them with the outer rings all shot up, but the centers are intact. Trade?? :roll:
sounds like a winner to me. :D

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 pm

About 18 months ago, I picked up a Remington 581 (Boy Scout trade in) at a shop for $90. Left hand bolt (my kinda gun). Have other .22s in lever, slide, semi-auto but this left had bold gun just whimpered and cried each timeI walked past it. It had been badly abused over 25 years. I am a sucker for a sick puppy though. The bore (after thorough cleaning) was excellent. The stock had been butchered with an aluminum "T" channel badly bedded (axe carving) and another wood chopper special job to give clearance for a Redfield peep sight. 2 sets of extra holes in the action (bad planning ?) under the sight. A broken Magazine catch, and exterior fuzz.New mag catch (Numrich) lots of sweat equity, Cold blued, Stock repairs, Hole filling in the action, and finally an inexpenisve Bushnell 4x scope. (and LOTS of cleaning overall, stock hand finished with Tung Oil)
Then last month (finally) to the range. Once the scope was zeroed, I was able to get a 3/4 in. group of 15 shots. POI at POA. Federal bulk ammo.
My sick puppy is well again!!! and lives in the safe (between range visits, etc) next to my old Sevens Mod. 15 single shot. (same kind of story) that with open original sights can still deliver less than 1in groups at 75 yards after 70 years of life. (Its a couple years older than me). Fun times. Gotta love sick puppies. The 581 taret lives on the wall in the shop.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Sounds like quite a project gun, and loads of fun.

Years ago, I bought a Mossberg M44 at a Boy Scout Camp Auction for $30. I had the choice of a number at that price but only took one. Got it home and couldn't hit squat with it at 10-15 yards. I was shooting very little at the time, so I stuck it in a closet, forgot about it and gave it to bgreenea3 when I moved to Virginia. A little later he sent me a nice target with a note saying the gun shot very well if the front sight wasn't loose. :oops: