Kodiak Arms - mod 260 - 22 mag

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Which do you like better?

17HMR
No votes
22 Magnum
100%

Total votes: 1

MGB

Kodiak Arms - mod 260 - 22 mag

Post by MGB » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:18 am

Hello,
I am looking for information on a Kodiak mod 260. Any info would be appriciated, and especially on how to remove the bolt.

Thank you

MGB

New info on old gun

Post by MGB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Well Gents,
I have found out a bit about this Kodiak 260. First off it was made some time between 1963 & 1966. It is stamped KODIAK, North Haven, Conn. USA Model 260 .22 WMR. No S/N. The butt plate has four circles like a target. It is tube fed and it is the first semi-auto 22 magnum. Kodiak made this in a 22 LR too, and also made a centerfire bolt action rifle (Model 158 Deluxe), and a slide action shotgun (Model 458). While Kodiak long guns are rare and extremely well made, that does not necessarily mean valuable (yet). Collectability to date has been minimal with most specimens selling at a slight premium over similar quality trade name counterparts of that era. Prior to 1963, Kodiak firearms were marketed under the trade name of Jefferson. Colt sold the 22 version under the name Colteer. Some of the Colteer parts work on the Kodiak magnum.

I found that info about Colt selling them a bit humorous as during this same time period Winchester made a 200 series of tubular magazine .22lr & ,22 WMR's. The 22lr's were 250 lever action, 270 slide action, & 290 semi-auto. The 22 WMR's were 255, & 275, no 295 semi-auto. This Kodiak is very similar to these in style and makes a nice fit if you had a collection of them.

To disassemble the Kodiak I start by removing the magazine tube plunger by sliding it all the way out.
Open the bolt and make sure it is clear then just leave it cocked.
Turn it over and remove the screw on the bottom and in front of the trigger guard. Then remove the trigger assembly housing from the bottom of the receiver.
Remove the screw on the bottom of the forend and slide the forend forward. Just as it clears the counter weight, you can lift it off.
Now remove the small magazine tube retaining screw from the magazine tube bracket.
Remove the magazine tube by sliding it forward away from receiver through the forend retaining bracket, action spring (remove the spring), and the counter weight.
Slide the counter weight, action bars, and bolt all the way to the rear and just lift out the assembly.(sliding the bolt rearward, and out, etc.)
The cocking handle should just drop out from the top of the bolt then move it forward to remove it out of the ejection port.
The ejector plate should just fall out of the side of the receiver.
To remove the stock remove the butt plate and the stock bolt.

Well that about sums up everything I know about this rifle. I can't wait to actually see how it shoots, and what particular type of ammo it likes(hope it is the cheap stuff). :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Sounds like you found the answer to your question with a little sound investigative work. I'm not familiar with that model which is why I didn't answer the question. I had hoped that some one else had one of these to assist with your takedown request. I knew that they were made in the early to mid-sixties but how many are out there, I don't know.

R,
Bullseye

MGB

Post by MGB » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:51 am

Well you know if you have something unusual then one shouldn't expect folks to provide a lot of info. I didn't. I just kept digging at various sites. Some posts I checked were from as early as 2000. When I found a post about the 260 I'd email the author and ask questions. A couple responded one guy had one for about 10 yrs and sold it about 20 yrs ago. The other fella still had his and provided some good info. Of course this came just after I figured it out. The real problem I had was that the cocking handle which is nylon was stuck in the top of the bolt. Usually it just comes out similar to a 10/22, but easier since there isn't a spring involved. Mine had not been taken down for a long time and it was just a bit gummed up. I put a bunch of Hoppies in there and a couple days later it just lifted out like it should. I was concerned that I missed something and I didn't want to force the nylon part if there was a pin or something someplace holding it in. Finding out about the Colteer and seeing a schematic at Numrich then seeing a picture of the cocking handle solved the problem for me.

Since these resemble the Winchesters I mentioned it is good Colt didn't sell the 22 mag version. If I knew about posting pics I'd post one of those three magnums.

Them not being numbered means one doesn't know really how many are around. I actually have two now. Just got the second one, and I haven't even found out yet how they really shoot. The second one is for my son a Marine soon to be out. Over the past almost 6 years while he has been serving whenever I got a new toy if I liked it I'd get him one. When he gets home and checks his gun safe there are about a half dozen new items in it he doesn't even know about :lol: What the heck he's off defending the country all except for a few blocks around my house and perhaps yours....:D What's a few new toys....

Regards,
MGB