What AR do you......?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

What AR do you......?

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 pm

I am trying to learn a little about the AR style rifles. I would eventually like to purchase one, but need to educate myself on the subject. A few questions offered to anyone who would like to give their input are as follows:
1) What are some important features you would definitely get on an AR you purchase ?
2) What manufacturer would you recommend, based on good quality for price ratio ?
3) What AR style do you own, if any ?

Here's an interesting site:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... yle-rifles

thanks, Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:45 pm

First of all, what do you intend to do with it? The options will be added to fit your uses. Other than that a good CMP legal style AR is good for highpower service rifle competition.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:03 pm

First of all, what do you intend to do with it?
Mostly fun shooting, and fun type competition at the club. Plus the novelty of having a neat looking rifle. I was talking with a local county sheriff and he said the one brand he recommends is Colt.
H

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Mine

Post by Yleefox » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm

I assembled mine from various parts and pieces. If you like to tinker with your guns this might be a good way for you to go. My youngest son has two Bushmasters and he has had very good service from them. My brother has a DMPS and it has worked well for him.

Yleefox

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:16 am

My personal AR's are Colt and Bushmaster, both in the service rifle legal A2 configuration.

R,
Bullseye

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:23 pm

I have had a Colt Hbar and a Bushmaster Varminter in the past. Both very good guns. Currently I have a LH Stag M4 that I assembled and a Rock River lower with a DPMS match upper. The Stag is the most fun of them all and the RR/DPMS is maybe the most accurate (maybe tied with the Bushmaster) Any of them are a great way to get rid of all that excess 223 ammo you have laying around.
Charlie

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 am

Mine's a Rock River AR-15 M4. It's a fun shooter, and once I get my loading table going it'll be really cheap to shoot.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

Sparks134

Post by Sparks134 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Haka, I'm in the same boat.I've been looking, reading for 3-4 weeks now. Was at Cabella's last weekend and handled 5-6 different black rifles. Had to go home and change cloths due to all the drooling while at the store. Here's something that may be of interest
:http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462
The guy is biased but seems informed

Sparks134

Post by Sparks134 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:18 pm

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Don't know what happened, try this one

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Sparks, thanks for the head's up for the thread, that's alot of info....good.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 am

I read the write up on the link and thought it was very informative for a person seeking better data on AR style rifles. While it does take a tactical perspective, many of the features pointed out apply to both Tac and target rifles. Again, what type of AR one chooses depends on its intended uses.

R,
Bullseye

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Colt

Post by Pete D. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:18 pm

When I was toying with the idea of Service Rifle competition, I went out and bought a Colt Match Target HBar. I have never regretted that buy. It has been a fine shooter for me. It has never not worked and, during load development, has allowed me to shoot the smallest groups that I have ever shot. Stock trigger works for me. I should float the barrel but have not - I'd look for that in a new gun.
General laziness has kept me away from highpower competition (though I shoot Bullseye pistol); I've got everything - an accurate rifle, good loads, a jacket, mat, scope. I even practice. One of these days....
Pete

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Thought I'd throw up a pic since so few are posted of one of my more favorite hunting irons, caliber 6.8 spc

nothing like teasing a bit.

Sparks134

Post by Sparks134 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Just pulled the trigger this week on a Stag Model 2.Brand new in the box, 1 30 rnd. mag,plastic case and manual. Out the door for $840. Been lookin' at em for 4 months now and finally found a good deal. Don't even have it home yet and already got 1k .223 ammo, 8 Magpul magazines, 9 magpuls Now for the accessories...............Ed
Took me long enough, eh?

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What AR do you........?

Post by wlambert » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 am

I have wanted a center fire semi-auto for quite a while. I was thinking about an M1 or M1 carbine, but they have always been a little more than I wanted to spend for a surplus rifle.

Then last fall I shot a friends AR-15 at the club. I knew I had to have one. He told me Cabelas was having a sale on cheap Russian .223, so I ran out to Hamburg and got a case. So then I had a case of .223 and no gun. Not real smart, but the price was good.

Next I started looking for an AR-15. There are so many, it can be hard to know where to start. I have a Rock River Bullseye 1911 and a Rock River frame for my Marvel conversion, so I went to their site first. They were having a sale on their Elite Operator 2. Actually, it is on sale again right now.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=462

I ended up getting a Rock River scope mount and installed a Bushnell Trophy 3 - 9. I am really happy with my purchase. It shoots the Tula cheap stuff very well, and will keep my hand loads in a 1" group at 100 yards. Handy gun to have around the house.

wlambert
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League