Henry vs 10/22

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Henry vs 10/22

Post by greener » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 pm

I bought a Henry shortly after buying a 10/22. Haven't had either long, but since the arrival of H5, the 10/22 hasn't seen much action. Today I decided on a head-to-head contest. The 10/22 has a Bushnell scope and Henry had none so I rummaged through my junk box and found a $19 Walmart BSA.

Shooting from a rest 25 yards the 10/22 had the advantage because it was previously sighted in. I just had to shoot the Henry more.

From a rest at 50 yards the weight of the Ruger allowed me to obliterate a 1" shoot'n'see sticker. Henry's lighter trigger couldn't overcome the lighter weight until I changed the ammo to Federal 510 and a new sticker disappeared with very few rounds outside it.

The 10/22 stock has, for me an uncomfortable grip, so I could only shoot 150 or so rounds. The Henry is lighter, has a more comfortable feel and a lighter trigger. The Henry disappeared for a while because a range buddy wanted to shoot a "couple rounds" from it and was limited to about 150 rounds.

The winner: Me. Two inexpensive .22 rifles with inexpensive scopes putting a serious dent in a box of Winchester Xpert HV bulk ammo is a great way to spend some time on a sunny Saturday.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm

It's always a good day when you can get out and have some fun. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Henry vs 10/22

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:54 pm

greener wrote:I bought a Henry shortly after buying a 10/22. Haven't had either long, but since the arrival of H5, the 10/22 hasn't seen much action. Today I decided on a head-to-head contest. The 10/22 has a Bushnell scope and Henry had none so I rummaged through my junk box and found a $19 Walmart BSA.

Shooting from a rest 25 yards the 10/22 had the advantage because it was previously sighted in. I just had to shoot the Henry more.

From a rest at 50 yards the weight of the Ruger allowed me to obliterate a 1" shoot'n'see sticker. Henry's lighter trigger couldn't overcome the lighter weight until I changed the ammo to Federal 510 and a new sticker disappeared with very few rounds outside it.

The 10/22 stock has, for me an uncomfortable grip, so I could only shoot 150 or so rounds. The Henry is lighter, has a more comfortable feel and a lighter trigger. The Henry disappeared for a while because a range buddy wanted to shoot a "couple rounds" from it and was limited to about 150 rounds.

The winner: Me. Two inexpensive .22 rifles with inexpensive scopes putting a serious dent in a box of Winchester Xpert HV bulk ammo is a great way to spend some time on a sunny Saturday.
Now you need a pump gun, told you that rifle shooting would get to you.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:10 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:I bought a Henry shortly after buying a 10/22. Haven't had either long, but since the arrival of H5, the 10/22 hasn't seen much action. Today I decided on a head-to-head contest. The 10/22 has a Bushnell scope and Henry had none so I rummaged through my junk box and found a $19 Walmart BSA.

I know. I keep picking up these nasty habits. A second childhood shouldn't go to waste.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:35 am

bearandoldman wrote:
I know. I keep picking up these nasty habits. A second childhood shouldn't go to waste.[/quote]
You can go to the bank on that friend, I am sure enjoying mine and looking forward o the third one.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 am

Careful Greener, you keep adding to your collection of fun guns and you might find yourself in a dilemma. Decisions, decisions, which guns will I take to the range this time. You may have to develop a mathematical formula to help you make this decision. Something like, (G + A) divided by (T + LW)= N.

G = number of available firearms. A = available ammo. T = available range time and LW = transport vehicle's gross weight rating. Just plug in the applicable numbers into the formula and instantly you have N (N=number of firearms to load into transport vehicle, including sufficient ammunition, based on time available and vehicle capabilities). Please note: this formula does not take into account variables such as SOTC (significant other's time constraints) or EATCF (emotional attachment to certain firearms).

Glad you're having a great time with the guns.
Y

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:04 am

It really is tough to make all of those decisions, but Bear and I usually have a conference and make a decision. Do we want to shoot iron sights. red dots, holographic or scopes. Then it's bolt gun auto autoloader, lever gun or pump. Then, is it target barrel, DSP, carbine or the old walnut 4 digit carbine? We do keep a good selection of ammo as each one has it's favorite.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 am

Okay BaOM, I have a question. Since you only mentioned that Bear and you were a part of the conference, if you two reach an impasse, then who makes final decision? I suspect it's Bear, but I thought I would ask instead of just assuming.

Y

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 am

Yleefox wrote:Okay BaOM, I have a question. Since you only mentioned that Bear and you were a part of the conference, if you two reach an impasse, then who makes final decision? I suspect it's Bear, but I thought I would ask instead of just assuming.

Y
The deciding vote is cast by the guy with the biggest teeth and strongest jaws.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm glad I bought a Henry before a semi-auto .22, I have more fun, get more valuable rifle practice, and end up shooting less ammunition per hour ... plus I can shoot CB shorts.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Aren't Henry's avaliable at WallMart or Aco ?
haka

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Decisions, Decisions

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 pm

I always seem to carry to many. Takes me two or three trips from the pickup to the range table to get all the gear and guns there. Last weekend I had my Browning ATD, my Mossy 44B, a Buck Mark, a Medalist and my Ruger standard. Had my range bag, Caldwell shooting rest, ammo, target frame, and Caldwell .22 interactive target paddles. Now those are fun. First time I had them to the range. Shot the pistols for a while, then went to the target rifle and moved everything from 25 yards to 50 yards. The Mossy was in fine form, sticking bullets in nearly the same hole. The little paddles go clang and go around in circles to hang on the trip lever of the fifth one. A young guy and his girl friend in a station 2 over were out there for their first time with a Henry .22 H001 with the octagon barrel he got the day before. Wood was not as pretty as Henry II's, but it was sure a sweet little rife. I really liked the buckhorn sight. He let me shoot it. Reminded me of Henry II accept that I have a scope on II. I nearly hit my paddles at 50 yds with the iron sites. Then He and his girl friend shot the old Mossy and rolled the paddles. His girl friend had never shot until that day and she was all grins. I had put the Browning up, but I got it back out for her to shoot while her boy friend was cleaning up. She hit the paddles 2 out of 5 rounds and laughing so hard it is probably why she missed the other 3. So, carry all you can. It is just to much fun to shoot just one or two.TB :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm

I have started using one of the 2 wheel dollies that are used for luggage. Since my doctor has a weight restriction on me this is the only way for me. It folds up nicely so it easy to store and carry your gear. I normally carry a brass catcher with me if I'm going to shoot my BHP or P229, along with my range bag, guns and ammo.

Since all of my hand guns have had custom trigger work, I normally let others shoot them. This way they have an idea on how well it can help them. I get more attention when I bring my 6" Ni Custom Python...... The snake just draws attention. And those who shoot it jaw falls open soon as the squeeze the trigger. The trigger is like stp on glass........

The last time I was at the indoor range where I shoot. I had a regular shoot my MKIII. He in turn wanted me to shoot his 1911. I had a 2" group at 15 yrds, his eyes lit up. He was having problems getting any kind of group and was jacking with the sights. My group was 4" to the left the way his sights were adjusted.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:17 pm

I want to get me a little red wagon or something of the sort. Just to cut down on trips. If I go to an indoor range it is only for an hour or so, and most of them won't let me bring a .22, so I just shoot my pistols. I let a young fellow shoot my Medalist a couple weeks ago. He couldn't get over it. Now he wants one, but said he would probably start out with a Buck mark. I had let him shoot mine as well. I may have to go to the range again in the morning. Shady there. It is to hot to go fishing. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 pm

My problem is I need a slightly larger wagon. Carry everything in a soft-side tool bag and I'm picking up a definite list to port going to the range. Unlike oldman, I can't back my car up to the shooting line.

Besides, I still need a pump and Savage. Not to catch up, just to keep oldman and kaz in sight. :lol: