From the mouths of babes.......

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

From the mouths of babes.......

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I was picking up my 7 year old daughter from school today and i was listening to news radio in the car. A story on gun control comes on.
She asks me "daddy, what is gun control"
I tell her that gun control is about keeping guns away from people who are already proven to be bad people.
She says "ok. why do they want to ban guns"
"I don't know" I say. then ask "are guns good, evil, or just things?"
She immediately responds "guns are just things daddy. but there are good people and evil people."

"Guns are just things, daddy"

I go on to explain to her why I carry a gun. That isn't an issue since she has hardly ever seen me not carrying one outside of the house.
"but you are a Police officer daddy. Police and army men all carry guns"
"I am" I say "but grandpa Bob isn't a police officer and isn't in the army anymore. He carries a gun and shoots a lot. why do you think he does that?"
she thinks for a minute and says "i don't know . Why?"
"grandpa Bob and lots of other good people carry guns to protect themselves and the people around them from bad people." I explain to her. "its our responsibilty to look out for people who are in trouble and help them if we can."

then i ask her "what do you think stops a bad person with a gun, knife, or a big stick (remember she is 7 years old) from hurting someone else?"

I have never talked about this with her before and she is more interested in dresses than current events. she says right away "a good guy with a gun, daddy. don't be silly."

Thats my girl!
:thumbs up:

If a 7 year old girl knows this, why is it so hard to get adults to understand it?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:53 pm

She doesn't have an agenda like some of our politicians do. Which is why when they say "common sense" gun control I just roll my eyes. If a child can see it why can't they? The answer is - They don't want to admit that they see it.

R,
Bullseye