Handgun Purchase Advice

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Handgun Purchase Advice

Post by greener » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm

The wife of a co-worker called me today. She wanted to buy her husband a handgun for Christmas, didn't know anything about them and he had said that I was knowledgeable. So, what advice to give?
-they won't sell you one if you say you are buying one from someone else.
-Glock 9mm, M&P9 or .40's
-Don't go to Bass Pro, Greentop or Degoff's. both places know about selling firearms to people who know nothing about guns
-Next down on expense, Ruger SR9/40 or Taurus.
-If he wants this for home defense, you need to know how to handle/use it.

A reverse of buying the little lady a gun. What else do you tell someone who wants to buy a gun for someone who doesn't know what he wants?

I've tried bring one home and telling bgreene's mom that she might like this one. Hasn't worked too well. Not sure how well this one will work out.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Not enough info for anybody to suggest what to buy, I would think?

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:03 pm

He said he wanted a handgun for home defense. She wanted to surprise him with one. What would I recommend.
9mm: Glock, M&P, SR9, Taurus semi-automatic.
All fire, eject, load and fire... All are pretty dependable and user friendly

.40 cal in each are good.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 am

He said he wanted a handgun for home defense. She wanted to surprise him with one.
Bad idea IMHO. Better to take him to a gun shop and let HIM pick out what he wants and then pay for it.

Too much chance of getting him something he doesn't want, or doesn't fit him, or wrong caliber or any of a dozen other things.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 am

tell her to draw him a picture of a pistol put it in a pistol case and tell him to go pick out what he likes.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 am

Much better off letting him pick it out. Take a photo of the GS and a gun and leave a note of your choosing.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am

I'd say make a certificate and then take him to the LGS pick out what he wants after Christmas.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:05 pm

I don't think a hg is something you surprise someone with, they are to unique in style. One feels good in one hand, but not in someone else's. Purchasing a hg should be a decision that takes a little time and thought process. Maybe a gift certificate or something like that. Gun purchases should be made with great care.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I had suggested that it would be better if he bought his own before making suggestions on type.

Result: She bought an SR9. He likes her handgun. Read about it and all the good reviews. He has taken a CCW course, applied for a CCW, gone to the indoor range and fired about 100 rounds, discovered that buying commercial ammo is expensive if you can find it and asked about reloading equipment.

He has also discovered that a full size handgun is not all that easy to conceal.

The SR9 is a good choice among a number of good choices.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 pm

I had suggested that it would be better if he bought his own before making suggestions on type.

Result: She bought an SR9. He likes her handgun. Read about it and all the good reviews. He has taken a CCW course, applied for a CCW, gone to the indoor range and fired about 100 rounds, discovered that buying commercial ammo is expensive if you can find it and asked about reloading equipment.

He has also discovered that a full size handgun is not all that easy to conceal.

It seems like the reviews for this hg are very good. A little to big for
concealed carry for my liking. For range shooting I think it's a good choice.
That's why we need to own several, one for carry, one for range, one for
target, and each of those in 3 or 4 different calibers :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 am

Hakaman wrote:

It seems like the reviews for this hg are very good. A little to big for
concealed carry for my liking. For range shooting I think it's a good choice.
That's why we need to own several, one for carry, one for range, one for
target, and each of those in 3 or 4 different calibers :lol:
Sounds like a good start. :lol: